Help! Lost camera in Virginia meadow

jeffwo

Hopefully someone can help! I'm an ecological consultant who restores native grass and wildflower meadows. While walking through one today spot spraying weeds I had my small digital camera ripped off my belt somehow by the vegetation. I went back through to try and follow my paths and find it, but the vegetation is over waist high and quite thick. The meadow is about half an acre in Fauquier County, Virginia not far from Middleburg.

Will a traditional metal detector pick up a signal from this??? I'm not sure what it's made of, but there is certainly metal in it and a battery (It's an Optima point and shoot model). It's in a neoprene-like material pouch, and hopefully that doesn't mask the signal too much. I would hope it would be easy to get a signal on and I'll be a happy camper. I have a bunch of photos of this and other jobs on it that I have yet to download.

I'd be willing to pay someone local or somewhat nearby to give it a try, and the sooner the better. Luckily it's a waterproof camera, so it should be OK even if it rains.

Nobody??? How About Some Cash!

My brother in law has an el cheapo metal detector that I tried today. It didn't register a coin until you practically on top of it so I am not confident it was going to pick up the camera over the vegetation. I treid in the main areas I believe it to be with no luck. I did not want to take the ful time needed to do a grid search if this wasn't sensitive enough to do the job.

I really need the photos on this camera to complete a report, and I really can't reproduce them now. How about $100 to show up and look and $100 bonus for finding it??? I really want to have someone that knows what they're doing to try this. I can help out with grid establishment, searching, etc.

Call my cell phone if any takers - (410) 274-7678.

"I went back through to try and follow my paths and find it, but the vegetation is over waist high and quite thick." The meadow is about half an acre in

Swinging a detector in tall grass can be frustrating. Somebody may want to give it a try. Truthfully, you may be better off calling the local scoutmaster and getting 10 or 20 sets of young eyes giving the pathway a good going over. The generous offer you put forth could fund something for the scouts. plus you could give them some insight into what you do and why...Just a thought....Gil

Maybe we don't any member close by. Have you tried other forums as well?
Gil's idea sound pretty good whether it be scouts or a group of friends.

has the camera been found yet? I just now read this thread, i live in shepherdstown WV and not that far. I like to go down towards leesburg and winchester every once in a while metal detcting. Would be willing to make a search (although i might be too late) if given the details about where the meadow is at.

Good thing I subscribed to this post! It was just fouond a couple weeks ago by one of the workers on the property, but outside of the meadow it was defintiely lost in. It was about 100 feet away along a nearby stream channel. The case had been chewed on a bit, so we're guessing a fox was messing around with it. The camera is fine and I recovered all of my photos off the memory card. I highly recommend Optio cameras! Thanks for all the interest here.

Good thing I subscribed to this post! It was just fouond a couple weeks ago by one of the workers on the property, but outside of the meadow it was defintiely lost in. It was about 100 feet away along a nearby stream channel. The case had been chewed on a bit, so we're guessing a fox was messing around with it. The camera is fine and I recovered all of my photos off the memory card. I highly recommend Optio cameras! Thanks for all the interest here.

Glad to hear you got your camera back! :D

Back
Top Bottom