Md'ed some playgrounds

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Arrived at the playground I eyed earlier in the year while MD'ing some property in Blue Island. Sign just past the entrance - no this, no that, no Metal Detecting. WTF :mad: Nada on the web site, is it too friggen hard to post some rules on the web, eejots. I MD'ed the playground for 30 minutes anyway - too ticked off to just walk away. Started finding cents (as usual) so I switched the ACE to discriminate on nickels, pull tabs (in case of a ring *right*) dime and quarter. Started finding nickels. Ended up with five nickels and eight cents. I also collected some garbage. Okay to toss garbage all over the place but to metal detect *the horror*. Buzzing the park district Monday to see if the playground counts. I'm sure I'll get a generic "NO MD'ing" response from some brain dead lackey.

Went to a playground near me - cent, cent, cent, in fact over 20 cents before finding a "cache" of two nickels and a cent. Ended up with forty two cents, a few dimes and some nickels. Tried a quick sweep of the volleyball courts and nabbed two quarters, a few more dimes and just a few cents. At least I ended up with a slightly better than anemic amount of clad.

Was just finishing up when a guy walks over and told me he lost a key last year in some heavy ground cover area. I asked him if he thought there would also be a lot of trash in the same area he dropped the key and he said no, it was on his property. I said "let's go". His house was only about 2 blocks away. Found a nail, staple (he was impressed the MD was that sensitive) and while sweeping near some landscape light fixture got a hit and viola - the key :yes: He gave me $5 and old me to buy some beer, I gave it back and told him to make some extra keys :lol: Eyed his lot, didn't look great (on the smaller side) so I didn't ask if I could MD his property. At least finding the key put me in a better mood!

Attachments

• two_o_eight.jpg
    two_o_eight.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 246
Nice going! Finding stuff for people when asked is always a nice challenge. :yes:

It's funny how the lay-public think we'll move into the parks with backhoes and dig 30ft holes looking for Captain Kidds treasure, until they need us to find a family heirloom that they lost. Good work helping this guy. One day one of us will help a guy that happens to also be in the parks department and will see that we do it right!

We've got those "No Metal Detecting" signs up around here too...I've taken 644 coins out of one of those school yards since July...you've hit it smack square on the head as to what you're going to get when you call to ask about the playground...there's a park about a 5 minute walk from my home, with a big, highway type " No Metal Detector Allowed " sign right at the entrance..been hunting it a little at hours no one much is likely to be around...decided to call the Rec. Dept. Friday and ask if it was permissible to hunt just the woodchip areas with no digging.." absolutely not"...as you say, some lackey they've got on phone duty, but no doubt the same response I'd have got from the head honcho.....HH Roadrunner_426

Great job OZ in helping support our hobby by helping this guy. Like Jason said one of these times it will be someone who has a say in whether or not restrictions are put on our hobby.

I still don't understand WHY they won't let you hunt? What do they have against us? Gather up all those pull tabs, can slaw, and other junk, march into their office and dump it on the desk. Tell them that you pulled it out of the tot lots, but you'd be glad to put it back.

Some good news! Talked to someone who transferred me to someone and when I asked about the no MD Policy the first thing out of his mouth was "we don't care about the ballfields or playground area" :yes: He mentioned a MD Club got permission to detect a park and unfortunately the plugs they took out didn't take so they decided they better not allow MD'ing in the parks. He had nothing against the club as the club reseeded the areas, they just don't want to take the chance again. After my Oak Lawn expierence, a verbal no MD'ing anywhere, but nothing written in the rule book (so I do detect), it was nice to talk to someone who knew something about our hobby. A very pleasent surprise.

Back
Top Bottom