Heres one for Okiedigger

simonthesearcher

Forum Supporter
Not one of my hunting grounds (wish it was).I took this pic 10 mins ago.Stonehenge in all its glory.Anyone have any views on why it was built?

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 274
simonthesearcher said:
Not one of my hunting grounds (wish it was).I took this pic 10 mins ago.Stonehenge in all its glory.Anyone have any views on why it was built?
Yup, my grandmother lived there, my Mum said she was a witch or was it B*&^%?
Actually she did live there, just over the hill. I believe that it was built by the Druids as a kind of sacrificial altar.

OMG, Simon, that is such a beautiful picture. I'm so enthralled with Stonehenge. It's always intrigued me. I wish I knew how they built it, and exactly why. Thank you for the picture.

Scrltt641

Thanks Simon! I love the pic. One of these days I'm going to see Stonehenge in person. My belief is that it was used as a calendar like many ancient civilizations have done. I'll try to get some pics of my area this weekend when I go out detecting so you can see what I have to deal with here.

What are you saying? That you are standing there right now taking pictures? How Cool!!!

Hey Simon...it's my understanding that it was built by the Druids as a calendar...we have smaller versions here in New England, and they are called 'standing stones'.

America's Stonehenge is a few hours from me, also believed to be built by the Druids...there's also caves that have been found with markings that date back thousands of years.

Beautiful picture! Thanks, Hank :grin:

Here's a picture. My wife and daughter have been there and wanted me to go. I didn't go. So I made this picture. Rob

Attachments

• London.jpg
    London.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 260
Very cool pic Simon. This is one of those ancient mysteries that really trip my trigger. I would love to go there someday and see them up close.

Simon - very nice! My theory is they used to go there to play bingo and poker! :yes: :lol:

Actually, you are all wrong.... It's actually a landing platform for UFO's. For a rest stop after they built the pyramids. :lol:

What I would like to know is how they managed to get the stones
where they are ,as I understand it they came from some distance away
Is there any truth in this Simon. :grin:

Huggie,the stones came from Wales which must be a good 150-200 miles from where they are now.Now i dont know how they got them from there to here.Some say that the rivers were a lot wider and deeper in those days and that they floated then a good part of the way,well some of those stones must be close to 100 tons so i reckon the rivers must have been a lot deeper then.How they got them across the land i dont know,maybe by putting poles under them and sliding them over the land.Its not very mountanous around here so i suppose with a lot of labour it could be done but i think thats the beauty of the place,NOBODY KNOWS and i dont think we ever will.And Wyman,as for knocking them over with my tector,i do swing quite rough but not that rough :grin:

Back
Top Bottom