the silver machine strikes again!

puma

hey all, hope you liked my silver dollars, i hunted that site to death hoping to find more (or a cache!), but it wasnt to be. i'll find another spot soon!!!!!! these coins are from a drive in theater here in town that dates to the early 1940's. ive found literally hundreds of clads with these older coins mixed in to keep things interesting. the trash is intense!!!. i have to just pick a spot where there was a parking for a car and clean it out. we are talking thousands of bottlecaps and newer pulltabs AARGGG!!!!!!! but it's the only to find the older coins here. they are under the layers of trash. i have only hunted about the first two rows of this drive in so i know ive barely touched on the older coins to be found here. i could very well hunt this site for years and not find everything! if anyone has a drive in theater in your area i urge you to check it out. but be patient, and clean of the trash layers, then you'll be rewarded. well i'm off, see ya all in the field.

Attachments

• coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 248
Extremely awesome! Congrats! I know the approximate location of a drive in, but need to narrow it down. Hope it produces like yours. WTG

You bring up an excellent suggestion for hunting grounds, we have one not too far from me that closed almost 20 years ago, now it's just field and accasional trees, imma gonna take a run by there tomorrow if the weather cooperates and see if I can get the name of the owner(s) now that it has been so long. This should prove to be fun....:)

Awesome finds you'll be at no shortage of pics in the near, and far future...lol

HH as always,

Bri-

Awsome finds! We had 2 drive-ins here in my area. The first one, that just closed a few years ago, just got a Home Depot on top of it. The other, older one, has been closed for 15 some years and is still sitting open for the tacking.

So how are you dealing with digging all that trash and still making it look like a bulldozer didn't come through? Are you not worrying about it? There are many areas around me, that I know have tons of silver in them, but the areas are so trashy that I doupt I could clean them out without making it look like a war zone.

:lol: the key to not making things look like a war zone inkog is having a good rake with big metal prongs on it. after i initially go over the surface of a parking spot and rake off all the surface area (this is where i find a lot of clad coins as well so look over the garbage carefully before putting it in your trash sacks) i will then systematically take the layers of trash off while digging out coins at the same time. i do not use any discrimination for the targets are so close together that any trash signal will hide a good signal, so i just dig everything. You really need a lot of patience to hunt this way, but it pays off big time. for most detectorists stay away from really trashy areas. ACCEPT FOR ME!!!! lol. after the signals start to really taper off and ive dug all i can handle then i simply use my rake and scrape everything back smooth so it looks like i was never there. simple and effective.

Good going & nice selection! :yes:

trobaughokc the large coin on bottom left is what i think a version of the sacajawean dollar that ive never seen before. on the reverse there is an indian peace pipe and the name THE SHOSHONE TRIBE imprinted there. There is no date anywhere on the coin. anyone have any ideas as to where this came from?

Found your coin.

Sacajawea Shoshone Tribe Copper Coin
Size: 26 mm diameter (a little more than an inch)
Weight: about 0.25 ounces
Material: Copper
Date: 1970

Back
Top Bottom