First "good" finds for the rookie

Inkog

Hi all,

I went camping this weekend just for the opportunity to detect an area that I remembered once seeing some old foundations and walls. I remembered the site as being deep in the woods, not far from the shoreline of small lake near a large outcropping of rocks that we used camp on. I packed up my kayak and Ace 250 and headed out to find the spot. Luckily, it was right where I remembered it from 14+ years ago, although it was well overgrown with hardwoods and lots of poison-ivy. (yes I'm paying for it now)

The only thing left at the site is three sides of a 40x50' foundation rising about 10" from the ground with a small opening for what was once a doorway. I have not been able find out anything about this specific site other than the land was sold to the forestry service in 1968.

The site was full of iron, but I dug most everything I could in 4 hours. I stayed pretty much within the foundation walls and tried to cover every square inch. I then repeated my search at 90 degrees. I ended up finding about 4lbs of unidentifiable iron chunks and 6 coins:

1856 Braided Hair Large Cent
186? Two Cent in pretty bad shape
1866 Shield Five Cents in very good shape!
1889 Liberty Head Five Cents
1905 Barber Dime - My first Silver!!!
1903-O Barber Quarter - almost warn flat - My second Silver!!!

(*edit* I though it funny that this is the exact order I found the coins in.)

Sorry, I haven't got a chance to take pictures yet. I'll get some tonight and will post them here.

I'll be going back this weekend to do the outside area, work and weather permitting. I think this site has a lot more treasures to discover!

I'm officially hooked now!

~Gary

Attachments

• Photo-0035.jpg
    Photo-0035.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 199
  • Photo-0038.jpg
    Photo-0038.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 197
Awesome finds, very cool indeed. I've been at this for a very short time, haven't found much noteworthy. BUT i think it's just the curiosity that gets you when you get a solid hit on something. Just pure curiosity, plain and simple. Congrats again on the finds...:)

Bri-

wow nice haul, inkog great day . now you know theres no cure for the detecting bug , your a lost cause :shock: :shock: :shock: welcome to the brotherhood :lol: :lol: congrats on the finds del

No longer a rookie or The Pull Tab King!! Great finds, alot of interesting coins in that group. The Large Cents are really sweet to unearth!

Those are indeed great finds. I have yet to find a large cent, #$@% rookies! Just kidding! May many more great finds land in your treasure pouch!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Fantastic! If you got that in a few hours, then there is lots more there. Way to think outside the box and paddle in. Get those pics here fast! WTG

Maahhhvulous, absolutely maahhhvulous! I bet you weren't able to get to sleep very fast that night were you? :grin: WTG and can't wait to see those pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!

I did indeed loose sleep on a few nights planning my next trip out there. I would have taken a day off work this week to get back out, but it has been so hot and humid here (heat index of 115), that even this site is going to have to wait until it cools down a bit.

I'm having a hard time getting a good picture with my camera phone, but at least it something. I'll try to get some better ones now.

Sounds like you are persistent. You'll find things where other people have given up that way. WTG

Man alive ! You hit the Mother Lode ! If I'd started out like that I wouldn't have had a job to worry about..turned professional on the spot.. HH Roadrunner_426

:wow: very nice coins, love those barbers, im always a sucker for any silver coins. i've personally found two large cents that are in great shape and really like the designs on these coins. good going!!!

Back
Top Bottom