UPDATED: Beauty and the Beast!!

j.d. in missouri

Found this half dime at an old cellar hole was getting up and the lady was staring at me... its the first black widow i have ever seen... well she cant hurt anyone now!!

more of my pics and stories here: www.greatestmetaldetectorists.com

attachment.php

Why in the heck didnt they call a half dime a nickle. Just being facetious. I may google a bit and see why the started minting the nickle.

beerdoodle, I believe the term nickel originated from the 3 cent coin. The used to make half-cents, cents, 2 cents, 2 cent "nickels", half-dimes, and dimes. It wasn't until 1866 that they started making what we now know as nickels.

Applying the term "nickel" to a coin actually precedes the usage of five-cent pieces made from nickel alloy. The term was originally applied to the Flying Eagle cent coin it was called a "nick" then the Indian cent coin from 1859?1864 which was composed of copper-nickel. Throughout the Civil War these cents were referred to as "nickels" or "nicks". When the three-cent nickel came onto the scene in 1865, these were the new "nickels" to the common person on the street. In 1866, the Shield nickel hit the spotlight and forever changed the way Americans associated coins made from nickel alloy with a particular denomination.

Back
Top Bottom