Designing anti-metal-detector underground storage

johnnyClaims

Hi,

I am researching how to bury valuables underground in a way that makes it very difficult or impossible to use metal detection or ground-penetrating radar to discover the burial locations.

Suppose I am building a structure on a concrete slab of perhaps 100ft x 50feet in size, with a slab thickness of 6". At one or more locations beneath the slab I'd like to bury, for instance, a 2" diameter x 6" long PVC pipe containing silver coins, say, 30" below grade. (So, 8" of concrete, then 22" of soil cover.)

6" of concrete with 1/2" rebar on a 12" x 12" grid itself might present some challenges for some kinds of detectors, but I want to substantially "upgrade" the concrete's resistance to metal detectors if possible.

Aside from normal rebar, could I add say, 2-4% by weight of a finely-ground conductive metal powder like iron or aluminum to the concrete mix? (Assume for sake of discussion that this would not adversely affect the pouring or strength / durability characteristics of the concrete -- I would research those impacts elsewhere.) Would that be enough metal content to confuse metal detectors?

Maybe 2-4% metal content in the mix isn't anywhere near enough. What about dumping say 1/2" thick layer of solid aluminum shot on the ground before the concrete is poured? (Say 5-7mm diameter shot size --effectively making highly-conductive but rough-surfaced metallic mat beneath the concrete.) (Again, ignore any issues around aluminum-concrete chemical or mechanical incompatibility, I will research those elsewhere.)

Please also suggest if there are other methods that might be cost-effective and not too hard to implement.

I guess you could throw a bunch of scrap nails on the ground before you pour. I personal would think you would be better burying the pipes in secret locations known only to you for later recovery in a shtf scenario. To bust up the concrete and dig out the pipes would take a lot of effort and be noticeable to others. Plus if you had to bug out , it would be easier to slip into your secret spot , dig up your coins and vanish. Maybe I’m reading more into what your asking , but I’m guessing that would be why you would want to go to those lengths to hide silver coins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking somebody wants to effectively hide guns and/or ammunition. The fine metallic powder or particles may reduce the effectiveness of a metal detector, and the rebar through the concrete will help further. However, I suggest a layer of foil-backed foam insulation under the concrete. Also, plumb that floor for hot water heating. That way, you'll have a valid reason for the foil-backed insulation layer.
Further, bury the pipes vertically, so that they present a smaller target for the detector, and place a piece of steel sheet above it by maybe 6".
I have no experience with ground-penetrating radar, so my above suggestions may not have any effect on that technology.

I'm gonna side with groundhog's suggestions, though. It would get kind of obvious when you go to recover your stash. Might I suggest you erect a chain link fence, burying your pipes vertically below the line or corner posts? In that way, you could still utilize the masking properties of a piece of steel plate over the stash, and the post(s) would add some more masking properties.

Build a small "rock garden" in your backyard. Install an old cistern pump for "ambience", and a small pond to match. Plumb the water from the pond through the pump. "They" don't need to know that there's a stash buried below the pump.

Build a mailbox post that you can re-position. Weld your upright to an old auto rim. Fill the upper half of the rim with concrete, and leave a pipe plug exposed underneath. Or even leave off the rim and plant it like a normal mailbox post.

Got a camper? Add a "water tank" to the underpinnings, that only you know about. Or you could add a tube bumper to the back of it.

The idea of only you knowing about these things, though, is counter-productive. You need a VERY trustworthy individual to confide in, as to locations and/or methods of retrieval. That way, in the event you are compromised in some way, that trusted person can help you, or your family carry on.

Just a few thoughts.....Roger

Why not a reinforced concrete septic tank? Seal you valuables in pvc, and submerge them beneath the dark smelly bacteria infested liquid.

Perfect idea.....

Purchase an island
Dig a 150 ft down
Every 10 ft place wooden beams
At 90 ft. Place rock with a bunch of script
At the bottom build a square void
Build a bunch wooden structures in the water
Create a swamp
Sink a bunch of wood in the swam vault

Once done write a short story for readers digest about some stuff you found and the treasures.....

Then put everything in the bank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Perfect idea.....

Purchase an island
Dig a 150 ft down
Every 10 ft place wooden beams
At 90 ft. Place rock with a bunch of script
At the bottom build a square void
Build a bunch wooden structures in the water
Create a swamp
Sink a bunch of wood in the swam vault

Once done write a short story for readers digest about some stuff you found and the treasures.....

Then put everything in the bank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

:lol: Novel idea Rob....:lol:

All of your ideas make it easier to find with a metal detector lol<°)))>{

If you're addressing that toward me, the ideas aren't to make it disappear, but to hide it in plain sight, and/or mask what it is. Remember, it's still just humans that are looking for it, and they do make errors in judgement.
Some of it will get found, and not by the rightful owner.

I suggest this; If I'm so wrong, where are your suggestions?

Roger

Wow...way over thinking this Johnny! ...30" below a reinforced slab? All sorts of scatterchaff? What I do like about your post is the comments! WE have all considered all sorts of coccamamie ways of hiding stuff and are actually sharing them here for free!

'GTS deuce and a quarter' pretty much summed up where a guys thoughts eventually lead him....Sure we wanna hide it, but we also gotta be able to GET it fast and easy!

In the Olden days, this is what pretty much ALL people did...In case your house burnt down or robbers came and ransacked it while you were off working the fields...Both very common.....So you buried your stash or a few 'road stakes' if you will..Something you could retrieve and start Life over if need be, "Light out for the Territories" as Mark Twain put it.......Then you got Old and died or a horse kicked you in the head and you couldnt remember where your stash was....

Anyway...the thing is, as Humans, we have all thought about this topic and even employed it a time or two and here is what I have come to realize....

The best treasure? Ones that can never be stolen? Easily retrieved without busting concrete or cashing in the 401k?

SKILLS carried between your ears, HEALTH, and living in favor and tolerance of the GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!....Oh yeah, and a knife and a Bic lighter and maybe a tarp!....:laughing:

As Detectorists, the cool thing is we can always find more silver if we ever need it...right out in any old totlot or ball field or curbstrip! We dont have to bury it under a reinforced slab!..Skills! :laughing:

If you're addressing that toward me, the ideas aren't to make it disappear, but to hide it in plain sight, and/or mask what it is. Remember, it's still just humans that are looking for it, and they do make errors in judgement.
Some of it will get found, and not by the rightful owner.

I suggest this; If I'm so wrong, where are your suggestions?

Roger

No my comments were directed at the OP..

Your ideas are far more logical and practical..

<°)))>{

Location. Small pvc pipe sealed. Straight down . Near a known piece of metal or reinforced concrete in plain site. You cant detect beside or near a concrete reinforced stadium step,and not a steel structure. Under a metal fence. Something already there and common. Smaller disturbance in ground less track to see. A hollow Rio grande fence post with a cap..string to coin tube, magnet to hold string or tape string where you can uncap and pull up. (Old drug unit officer...the dealers got real creative) .

Location. Still the best. Mho.

First off buy a reasonable size safe. One large enough that it takes two people to move it with difficulty. Do not bolt the safe to the floor or any thing. Put some heavy objects in the safe. Lock it up and forget the combination if you like. When the thieves come in they will forget your valuables and go to the trouble of stealing the heavy safe while your valuables are hid in old dirty coat pockets in the attic. Don't tell any one what you have done. Most house burgles are done by someone you know. If they leave the safe and steal your stuff you know it's an inside job.

Back
Top Bottom