researching stuff from junk box

Jim Bob

Elite Member
With all the extra time staying at home because of this virus, I have been taking a closer look at some things I put aside as interesting. Some interesting "Keys" a Montgomery City Lines Bus token "1955 Rosa Parks" era and Tivoli Beer opener. So we can all make good use of this time at home waiting for this 3rd world war to end by looking over neat stuff we have found. Good luck and stay safe.

Attachments

• IMG_E4206.jpg
    IMG_E4206.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_E4205.jpg
    IMG_E4205.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_E4204.jpg
    IMG_E4204.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_E4202.jpg
    IMG_E4202.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_E4203.jpg
    IMG_E4203.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_E4209.jpg
    IMG_E4209.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 452
old timers

JB.. the first key is a railroad key... I have one very similar

Your second key fits old machines like this:

http://www.oldslots.com/products/391_1950-Mills-Novelty-Company-Authentic-Golden-Nugget.html

You won't get rich off of the can opener :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264209875949

Good to hear from you again Craig, You have been a constant inspiration on this site for many years so I guess we are both old timers: laughing: Stay safe and have a blessed day. Jim

With all the extra time staying at home because of this virus, I have been taking a closer look at some things I put aside as interesting. Some interesting "Keys" a Montgomery City Lines Bus token "1955 Rosa Parks" era and Tivoli Beer opener. So we can all make good use of this time at home waiting for this 3rd world war to end by looking over neat stuff we have found. Good luck and stay safe.

That bus token with the little bus design is just awesome, and even better when one connects the dots and makes that historical connection.

Hey Jim Bob,

Just thought I'd add a little more info about your Montgomery Bus token. I have four volumes of reference books on Transportation tokens, (The Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens). The contents are arranged alphabetically, by state.

In the Alabama section, your token is listed as a Montgomery 570 Ea. There were two varieties of this token, made between December 1949-1954. The 570 Eb is the same design but without the diamond shapes on the Good For One Fare side. A later design, the 570 Fa,b,c, had a more modern looking bus, and was made between 1956 - 1974.

If you Google "Vecturist" you'll get lots of information on Transportation Token Collecting, including a link to the AVA (American Vecturist Association). Their newsletter is titled, "The FARE BOX".

Check out the web site for the American Vecturist Association at http://www.vecturist.com/. Their FARE BOX newsletters going back to 1947 are available in PDF format at the web site.

Here's a couple of links on Bus & Trolley tokens:

https://www.etsy.com/market/transit_tokens

http://numismaclub.com/category/285-coins__paper_money_exonumia_tokens_transit_/index.html

And your token, from above site (I searched for MONTGOMERY) http://numismaclub.com/unt/177932-v...ines_inc_good_for_one_fare_transit_token.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/transportationtokens/ Transportation Token Collectors on Facebook

Jim

Last edited:
Good to hear from you again Craig, You have been a constant inspiration on this site for many years so I guess we are both old timers: laughing: Stay safe and have a blessed day. Jim

Thanks Jim.. can't hunt, don't want to work :lol: my stocks are a smoldering pile of ash need I say more? :roll: at least i have a good face mask... :yes:

Great thread, great little treasures, and some outstanding info and research everyone!

Thanks for the research and info

Hey Jim Bob,

Just thought I'd add a little more info about your Montgomery Bus token. I have four volumes of reference books on Transportation tokens, (The Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens). The contents are arranged alphabetically, by state.

In the Alabama section, your token is listed as a Montgomery 570 Ea. There were two varieties of this token, made between December 1949-1954. The 570 Eb is the same design but without the diamond shapes on the Good For One Fare side. A later design, the 570 Fa,b,c, had a more modern looking bus, and was made between 1956 - 1974.

If you Google "Vecturist" you'll get lots of information on Transportation Token Collecting, including a link to the AVA (American Vecturist Association). Their newsletter is titled, "The FARE BOX".

Check out the web site for the American Vecturist Association at http://www.vecturist.com/. Their FARE BOX newsletters going back to 1947 are available in PDF format at the web site.

Here's a couple of links on Bus & Trolley tokens:

https://www.etsy.com/market/transit_tokens

http://numismaclub.com/category/285-coins__paper_money_exonumia_tokens_transit_/index.html

And your token, from above site (I searched for MONTGOMERY) http://numismaclub.com/unt/177932-v...ines_inc_good_for_one_fare_transit_token.html

https://www.facebook.com/groups/transportationtokens/ Transportation Token Collectors on Facebook

Jim

Thanks Jim for the time you spent to research the token, It is great the way folks come together on this site to share their Treasure stories. I never thought I would get rich off of the bottle opener: laughing: but at least it wasn't a Coors opener, oh wait, they are twist off tops right. We have time on our hands now to take a closer look at our treasure boxes and share things of interest we may have over looked at the time. I pray we will all get through this virus and get back to a new normal soon. Thanks Jim for your USAF service, USMC here, stay safe.

A little more information on that railroad key. It is probably what's called a "Switch key" and would open the box that protects the track switching lever. I have my great grandfather's switch keys. A friend of my grandmother's, and co-worker of my great grandfather's was Chester Russell. He worked on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. Their motto was "Ship It On The Frisco!". he had a wooden leg. When, as a child, I asked him how he lost his leg, he replied that being a fashionable and foolish young man, he had disobeyed railroad regulations, and wore his pants cuffed.

Railroads back then forbade switchmen and yard men to wear their pants rolled up at the ankle, because of... well, what happened to Chester. "I was humping cars," he said (more on How To Hump A Train! later) "and my pants leg got caught between the sections of track as they came together." Seeing the boxcar coming off the hump, he knew he was going to be hit, so he threw himself back as far as he could "With my leg across the track, and I watched that car come rolling over it, cutting off my leg!" I can only imagine the horror and pain he endured. Railroading is not a safe occupation.

Now... How To Hump A Train!
Probably, some have found, while detecting, old railroad signs reading "DO NOT HUMP!" or "NO HUMPING!" In today's parlance they're funny. 100 years ago, they had a different meaning.
Every railroad yard has a roundhouse. Tracks radiate from that roundhouse all the way in a sort of star pattern, with the roundhouse and the "hump" at the center. The "hump" is a circular platform that revolves. It has a single length iof track which connects, as you swivel it, to the other tracks. To assemble a train, the cars, whether boxcars, freight cars, passenger cars, tanker cars etc, you rotate the hump (so called because it is slightly higher than the rest of the tracks, which meet it at an angle) to push the car from one track (via a switch engine or donkey engine) up onto the hump, then rotate that hump around to the train you are assembling. Another shove gets that car rolling down toward the train being put together, and gravity does the rest. The two couplers shaped roughly like a 'p' and a 'b' strike each other and interlock... CRASH! at which point the switchman would drop a large pin into the couplings, affixing the car to the train. Lather, rinse repeat. Using the hump you could assemble anywhere from one to six trains that would then head out to their destinations.

This was dangerous work as the couplings were about two to three feet across at their joining ends, and I have been told stories of men caught between the couplings as the cars came together. They were alive and conscious... but they knew that they had essentially been severed at the waist! They would only remain alive so long as the cars were coupled, pinioning them. The moment that the cars were uncoupled... they would die from blood loss and being cut in half.

So yes, switch-keys have a long and sometimes terrifying story. Now switching is done by machine, but pause for a moment to have a thought of the brave men who used them to move tracks and keep the trains rolling.
Sage(Two longs, a short and a long! Whistle signal for a grade crossing!)Grouse

Cool Railroad Switch Key. Very similar to the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad switch key I found last year.

Attachments

• RRswitchkey.jpg
    RRswitchkey.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 158
Norfolk Southern

A little more information on that railroad key. It is probably what's called a "Switch key" and would open the box that protects the track switching lever. I have my great grandfather's switch keys. A friend of my grandmother's, and co-worker of my great grandfather's was Chester Russell. He worked on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. Their motto was "Ship It On The Frisco!". he had a wooden leg. When, as a child, I asked him how he lost his leg, he replied that being a fashionable and foolish young man, he had disobeyed railroad regulations, and wore his pants cuffed.

Railroads back then forbade switchmen and yard men to wear their pants rolled up at the ankle, because of... well, what happened to Chester. "I was humping cars," he said (more on How To Hump A Train! later) "and my pants leg got caught between the sections of track as they came together." Seeing the boxcar coming off the hump, he knew he was going to be hit, so he threw himself back as far as he could "With my leg across the track, and I watched that car come rolling over it, cutting off my leg!" I can only imagine the horror and pain he endured. Railroading is not a safe occupation.

Now... How To Hump A Train!
Probably, some have found, while detecting, old railroad signs reading "DO NOT HUMP!" or "NO HUMPING!" In today's parlance they're funny. 100 years ago, they had a different meaning.
Every railroad yard has a roundhouse. Tracks radiate from that roundhouse all the way in a sort of star pattern, with the roundhouse and the "hump" at the center. The "hump" is a circular platform that revolves. It has a single length iof track which connects, as you swivel it, to the other tracks. To assemble a train, the cars, whether boxcars, freight cars, passenger cars, tanker cars etc, you rotate the hump (so called because it is slightly higher than the rest of the tracks, which meet it at an angle) to push the car from one track (via a switch engine or donkey engine) up onto the hump, then rotate that hump around to the train you are assembling. Another shove gets that car rolling down toward the train being put together, and gravity does the rest. The two couplers shaped roughly like a 'p' and a 'b' strike each other and interlock... CRASH! at which point the switchman would drop a large pin into the couplings, affixing the car to the train. Lather, rinse repeat. Using the hump you could assemble anywhere from one to six trains that would then head out to their destinations.

This was dangerous work as the couplings were about two to three feet across at their joining ends, and I have been told stories of men caught between the couplings as the cars came together. They were alive and conscious... but they knew that they had essentially been severed at the waist! They would only remain alive so long as the cars were coupled, pinioning them. The moment that the cars were uncoupled... they would die from blood loss and being cut in half.

So yes, switch-keys have a long and sometimes terrifying story. Now switching is done by machine, but pause for a moment to have a thought of the brave men who used them to move tracks and keep the trains rolling.
Sage(Two longs, a short and a long! Whistle signal for a grade crossing!)Grouse

Thanks so much for the Rail road stories and I hate to hear about the great grandfathers friend losing his leg. I worked for Southern Railway for 31 years in the track department. I started as a track laborer in Jacksonville Florida in 1968 a few months after returning from Viet Nam. I worked around yard crews all the time and watched them climb up and down off of moving box cars and it was dangerous for sure. A lot of things have changed for the safety of workers over the years and railroad men are like sailors, they have always got stories to tell. I had also heard about the guy getting coupled between the knuckles of two cars. In our department we repaired track, installed new cross ties and drove spikes with a hammer. Hard work but kept us in good shape. Anyway thanks for the information. I still have my switch lock key but ours were Yale locks and the key was flat, more like a house key.

Back
Top Bottom