Simplex vs vanquish in trashy area

FF/MEDIC

During this time of social distancing I’m thinking it’s a good time to jump back into the metal detecting hobby! Got away from it after kids and now they are old enough to be interested in it. I’m looking at the simplex or vanquish. I like what I’m seeing/reading on the simplex but am concerned with how shallow park mode seems to be and although field mode seems DEEP....it also seems like you lose target separation. Mostly what I’ll be hunting is trashy old home sites and I’m curious what you’d pick between these. So either simplex or vanquish 440/540...also if you pick vanquish would you go 440 or 540 and why? Sorry if this has been asked!

If you would like to have wireless Bluetooth audio capability and nice Bluetooth headphones and 2 different sized coils and don't need submersible waterproofed control box, I would get the Vanquish 540 Pro Package. Shop around. You might find some great deals from forum vendors and from some of the big online package deals. The Simplex + with wireless headphones is also a really good deal. From my experience, numerical target ID and the tones on the Vanquish are just better than those on the Simplex. That is not putting down the Simplex. I do not know of very many detectors (like 2 or 3 maybe) that I would pick for a coin/jewelry/relic hunt in mild to moderate ground than the Vanquish.

Jeff

I’d go with the 540 pro pack, trust me you’ll want that extra coil.

I got the nox 600 and didn’t take long for me to buy the 6” coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased the Simplex, then the 340, then the 540 pro pack. I only have about 2 hours on the 340, and less than 10 minutes on the Simplex.
I really like the 340. I need to spend more time with the Simplex though.

I'm new to detecting and picked up an AT Pro from a guy I know for CHEAP. As I've been reading and seeing all the people talking about the Vanquish being so great...I looked at it on an online vendor site and was really surprised it was so cheap. I mean I was expecting $800+ from the way people were talking. Has me almost considering selling my AT Pro and grabbing a Vanquish. I'd need to do a lot more research first to make sure it would be a good swap. I can't say I like or don't like my AT Pro as I've not actually been out in the field with it yet. Just messing around in the yard so far. I FINALLY have a hunting buddy (not that I needed one to get out digging) and we are hitting a late 1800's homesite on Saturday so I'll be able to get some swing time with my AT Pro.

During this time of social distancing I’m thinking it’s a good time to jump back into the metal detecting hobby! Got away from it after kids and now they are old enough to be interested in it. I’m looking at the simplex or vanquish. I like what I’m seeing/reading on the simplex but am concerned with how shallow park mode seems to be and although field mode seems DEEP....it also seems like you lose target separation. Mostly what I’ll be hunting is trashy old home sites and I’m curious what you’d pick between these. So either simplex or vanquish 440/540...also if you pick vanquish would you go 440 or 540 and why? Sorry if this has been asked!

540. Like you, I was very concerned about the park mode depth on simplex, very poor performance but decent vdi. You would want to run it full open but at least have some idea of what's there. However if you plan on digging it all, I would go with simplex and just stick to full depth. The price and bonus features on the simplex are amazing.

I have a 540, Id's well in mineralized ground, good depth, decent price (just get the 540 not the pro pack), and bluetooth headphones. Just buy a $25 amazon set. Very solid machine and also does well at the beach.

The simplex is a great detector, but it struggles to ignore alot of trash targets most of my machines won't make a peep over. Constantly digging bottle caps that range from low 70's all the way up to the 90's, nice consistent high tones too. These aren't the aluminum screw type caps I'm referring to, its the old iron crown caps that the simplex cant discriminate. Some smaller pieces of iron as well. I do love everything about the simplex other than that though, but I always find myself reaching for a different detector. I've never used the vanquish, and never really plan to, but seems they aren't far off from an equinox, minus the waterproof capabilities. Good luck with your choice!

definately go with the Vanquish. Multi-frequency.
Is the multi-frequency the thing that makes it good in a trashy area? I've been trying to decide between the same 3 models and have narrowed it to the vanquish 440 or 540 on advice that the Simplex isn't as user friendly for kids. The big difference I'm trying to understand for a trashy area is whether the adjustable iron bias in the 540 is worth the additional price over the 440 that has a set high iron bias.
I'm brand new (haven't even tried a detector yet) so I'm trying to understand the iron bias for my situation. Correct me if I have this wrong, but the high iron bias will give you iron tones on mixed iffy signals that will allow you to ignore a lot of the trash and focus only on the good signals while the low iron bias will give you high tones on the mixed iffy signals causing you to dig more trash but maybe find more masked targets? If you are relic hunting in an iron rich area, what is better? High or low bias?
Is it the iron bias setting that helps unmask targets or the multi-frequency that is more important for unmasking?
We'll be hunting old homesteads as well as an old railroad with iron ore pellets strewn about. Looking for the best kid and beginner friendly machine that will deal with the conditions we will have. More features to learn is not better in our situation unless they really help us with the local conditions. I think it's a situation where I'm leaning towards the 440 on price and ease of use but worried that I'll regret not having the additional options the 540 has for our conditions.

Back
Top Bottom