HH Pulse Wire Soldering

ejosika

All,

Good morning! It has been quite some time since I have posted. Currently, my DetectorPro Pulse is not working, I looked into the electronics side of the unit and found that two wires need to be re-soldered. One to the Threshold Knob and the other to PCB. Does anyone have a recommendation as to what type of solder to use or a place in which it could get serviced? I know that this is a discontinued unit and do not think this is something DetectorPro under the new owners can repair.

Thanks,
Ed

Cell phone repair shops tend to work on anything electronic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the information. Tomorrow it'll be time to break out the soldering iron and get to work as I feel cell phone repair shops are not open at the moment. I cannot wait for the unit to be up and running. Thanks again!

50/50 or 60/40 solder will work fine. Rosin flux is recommended over acid flux although I've never had problems using acid flux and cleaning the residue off afterwards.

MuddyMo,

Appreciate the input and thanks for specifying the solder type to use. I just have the lead free but will pick up some 60/40 tin-lead today. I did not want to use a tip that hot (lead-free) for working in such a small tight space.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

This is the nicest easiest solder to work with and leaves a clean joint.

http://www.cardas.com/solder.php

Just be warned some of those cheaply priced soldering irons don't have the wattage claimed, have horrible tips that will not heat up enough to melt solder properly. If your holding the tip on the part soldered and the soldering pad for more than 5 seconds, 15 , 20.......get a new soldering iron.

If you're a novice or marginal solderer, rosin core is the best. The rosin is a flux that won't leave an acid film on the joint. If the acid flux residue is left on the joint it will result in corrosion at and around the joint. Radio shack has it, get a small diameter ( .015", .012" diameter) something in that range. Small diameter will make the process easier and neater. You don't want such a big gob of solder it connects with surrounding components.

If you don't want to go through all that, find a TV repair or stereo repair guy in the area that's still working. Give him a call, probably do it for free if not a couple bucks. If the unit is that old, have him cleanse the (potentiometors) pots with Deoxit. I'm sure they're in need.

Sven and flyguy784,

Thanks for the advice. I picked up the too big of a solder roll last weekend and was unable to complete the job. I was practicing on some wire to wire soldering. I did not know that about acid flux and its great to always learn something new.

The unit was purchased back in 2006 so it is quite old. I think I am leaning towards having an electronics guy doing the work because as you mentioned, I am almost sure the potentiometers will need to be cleaned.

Have a great weekend.

Solder

A little late but as an amateur radio operator, I would be happy to send a couple of feet of 60/40 electronics solder with flux core for free to anyone that needs some.

FWIW I use Rubyfluid from hardware store for fluxing electronic repairs. Works good for me. Stick with low wattage iron, flux and tin both wire and pcb pad, then just a brief bit of heat to make connection. Too much heat will definitely lift pad from pcb, and if it's double sided, things can get worse in a hurry. JMHO Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom