First Mercury dime - only took three years!!

Iggyks

Elite Member
Some of you may have seen my post last week where at an old school site I dug an 8" plug, saw a shiny silver disc peeping through on the bottom, called my wife to bring a camera over to document my first Merc, and finding out it was a '55 (CORRECTION: 1953) Rosie. Went back to the same site today going low and slow and finding only nails and baling wire but right at the point I was going to pack it in I got a 27 on the Nox. Dug a plug that fell apart, got no signal from my pinpointer and was guessing it was a tiny shred of can slaw. I had to go over the plug with the detector then break up the dirt into clods before the Carrot finally went off. Cracked the clod and this time there was no mistake, I was looking at Lady Liberty. Last year 1945, and just realized it's an S, unusual in Kansas. Guess it's a regular S, not a micro - I didn't even know there was such a thing till a few minutes ago. Only find of the day, but I'm happy! I had a very modest bucket list when I started: an IHP, a Buffalo nickel and a Merc. Got IHPs right away but actually found two V nickels before I found the Buff, and didn't think the Merc was ever going to happen.

Attachments

• P1011461.jpg
    P1011461.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 254
  • P1011464.jpg
    P1011464.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 268
  • P1011465.jpg
    P1011465.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Let me be the first to offer congrats!! Such a great feeling to find a bucketlister. Looks to be in really great shape too.

Congrats that Mercs a really nice one ! I've dug lots of Rosies over the years but only one has been a 1955 . I dug it up in my own back yard , Great post and pics !

Congrats on your first Merc. She is sweet. Now you mentioned a 55 Rosie. I read on another forum that coin is for unknown reasons illusive . A hard to find coin according to alot of diggers. When I read it I went and checked my 80 some Rosies, all years but for a 49 and a 55. So that 55 was a cool save as well. Up next for you maybe some big silver. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on your first Merc. She is sweet. Now you mentioned a 55 Rosie. I read on another forum that coin is for unknown reasons illusive . A hard to find coin according to alot of diggers. When I read it I went and checked my 80 some Rosies, all years but for a 49 and a 55. So that 55 was a cool save as well. Up next for you maybe some big silver. Good luck, Mark

I went back and looked and my "1955" is a 1953. Aging eyes, you know the drill.

Congrats Kevin! You’ll never forget that first Merc, either...it took me until the very tail end of my first year of detecting to find my first one, and I could still take someone there and point to the spot on the ground where I found it :cool3: Mercs are my favorite dime design - they’re always wonderful to see, and yours looks to be in nice shape!

...Now you mentioned a 55 Rosie. I read on another forum that coin is for unknown reasons illusive . A hard to find coin according to alot of diggers. When I read it I went and checked my 80 some Rosies, all years but for a 49 and a 55. So that 55 was a cool save as well.

And I learned something new...all the discussion about the ‘55 Rosie being hard to find got me curious, so I looked up the mintage and values. Sure enough, for whatever reason, that year the number of Rosie dimes stuck out of all three mints was way down. But despite the “rarity”, their value is still little more than melt, same as any other Rosie. I’d have thought the low mintage would provide at least a little increase in value :?::?:

Congrats Kevin! You’ll never forget that first Merc, either...it took me until the very tail end of my first year of detecting to find my first one, and I could still take someone there and point to the spot on the ground where I found it :cool3: Mercs are my favorite dime design - they’re always wonderful to see, and yours looks to be in nice shape!

And I learned something new...all the discussion about the ‘55 Rosie being hard to find got me curious, so I looked up the mintage and values. Sure enough, for whatever reason, that year the number of Rosie dimes stuck out of all three mints was way down. But despite the “rarity”, their value is still little more than melt, same as any other Rosie. I’d have thought the low mintage would provide at least a little increase in value :?::?:

Interesting. I searched my 95 found Rosies. Only 1 single 1955.

Attachments

• 2020-11-23-18-46-46-956_copy_600x800.jpg
    2020-11-23-18-46-46-956_copy_600x800.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 165
Congrats. Same thing happened to me. It was about 18 months before I dug a Merc. Had Rosie's and Barber's just no Merc. Then after I found one they started rolling in and now the most silver dimes I have are Mercs. Go figure.

Congrats on your first merc. I gazed into my crystal ball and saw great finds in your future.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

What a beauty. Congratulations! Hopefully the first of many more to come.

Beautiful Mercury, congrats.

Just started back this year, after a long time away. Snuck in five outings this fall, and found a 60+ year coin in all but one of those. Looks like may be done for the season, but am looking for an IHP next. (Fingers crossed)

Back
Top Bottom