Silver dollar scare...

CharlieT84

Elite Member
I had a scare on my last hunt that really had the heart pounding. I had found a few nice coins and was near an area I had found a barber quarter last year. I was using the six inch coil with the sensitivity jacked. I was thinking I could still get good depth while not picking up multiple targets and hopefully pick out a single good target amongst the trash. Going along I had a deep high tone response, it was going from between 32 and 35 on the Nox, mostly 32-34. From all directions so I was quite excited pushing the shovel into the dirt. I cut a deep plug and rolled it out. Scanned the hole and was getting 33 35. The heart starts ticking a bit more. Now I am thinking half dollar or maybe my first silver dollar. The ground was very hard and digging was slow. I tried to be careful with the shovel as I removed more dirt. Finally at about 7" my pinpointer picked it up. So figuring its still a few inches down I dig careful with the knife. But it was so hard digging and was taking so long, I decided to use the shovel. I popped up a decent sized clump and saw a flash of roundness covered with dirt. Big roundness! I couldn't grab the clump fast enough! But as I cleaned the dirt off I saw the color and felt the weight was wrong... A dang aluminum token....... Heart still pounding..... I need to settle down. Love this hobby!
Hey I did find a nice Barber dime 1907s , a 1918d Merc and an IHP 1886. Very very happy with them.
Yes I dig those big beer cans... I knew or at least suspected what they were but I want them out of there so I don't detect them again and maybe there is that elusive silver dollar hiding under the next one. Good luck and H.H.

Attachments

• IMG_1637r.jpg
    IMG_1637r.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1638r.jpg
    IMG_1638r.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_1639r.jpg
    IMG_1639r.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_1641r.jpg
    IMG_1641r.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_1646r.jpg
    IMG_1646r.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_1647r.jpg
    IMG_1647r.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 580
Deja Vu ! just a couple of weeks ago I had the same experience with an aluminum Dollar sized coin/token . My Nox was hitting 32-34 also . I had to do some seriously , cautious digging under a tree root to get at it .What seemed like ages later , after I pulled it out , I noticed a tiny exposed part of the the coin showed a bit of a reeded edge but next to that edge I saw a brown pit . My Heart sank. Definitely not a silver coin .
It took a lot of work at home to to get the deeply encrusted black soil off of it . It turned out to be a religious token with verse on it that starts out ..... that God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son .... not a dig I will soon forget and quite a conversation piece .Other than that just a few clad coins that hunt .

Congrats on the great coins you found that is quite a spectacular day ! Great photos also. :yes:

Nice picture of the coins and thanks for removing the aluminum cans.:yes:
Once I dug a huge high tone like a can and it was a large silver bracelet đź‘Ť

Nice

Nice going with those coins. One silver will satisfy my silver hunger. You got that plus some. I hardly ever dig Indians, so that alone would make a great hunt for me. Yes, we all get a scare every now and then. It's the gold colored bottle caps that use to make we think, Oh, I might have a gold coin. Now I an wise. You guys in the east have history on your side, and we out here in the west have Las Vegas where there were silver dollar slot machines and parents, uncles and aunts use to bring those dollars home and give them to the kids, and we lost them. In nine years in S Cal, I've dug four silver dollars. But only one seated, and nothing before 1818.
HH everyone

those three together are just stunning, well worked hunt
Thank you.

Nice finds there, great hunt!
Thank you.
Very nice hunt! But... you may now owe Tom a cut for that S mint sneaking across the Mississippi! :lol:
Thank you. Tom's generous he won't care.
Deja Vu ! just a couple of weeks ago I had the same experience ...Congrats on the great coins you found that is quite a spectacular day ! Great photos also. :yes:
Thank you... so you know exactly how I felt...
Nice picture of the coins and thanks for removing the aluminum cans. đź‘Ť
Thank you.
Nice finds for sure! And yeah, those big aluminium (as the British say) and sure be screaming good signals!
Thank you.
Mardi Gras doubloons always make me think I have large silver. Being just outside of New Orleans there is no shortage of them to dig
They do get the heart pounding.
Nice going with those coins. ...here in the west there were silver dollar slot machines ... I've dug four silver dollars.
HH everyone
Boy I'd like to dig one.
Those big aluminum coins sound so good. Congrats on he oldies.
Thanks Jam.

I had two scares this year. One was a Chinese counterfeit silver dollar and last week was a “challenge “ coin given by a general at a Boeing plant for an Apache helicopter.

Back
Top Bottom