Research paid off - a little

jimther

Elite Member
Recently, while looking over an old map for one detecting project, I spotted something in the next town that got my attention. It was a park I was already familiar with because our nephew played baseball there as a kid (40 years ago) but I had never detected it. The old map showed a feature at this park that I won't mention here, but research told me that it was created in 1893 and this feature drew between 6,000 to 15,000 people for each event. Today, the park has four baseball fields, basketball and tennis courts and a tot lot.

1893 - the year after the BARBER series coins were introduced. I bet a few of those thousands of spectators wandered into the adjacent woods for various and sundry reasons and lost a coin or three. I can't tell you the last time I found a Barber coin; it was too darn long ago. Later, in 1917, the park was used for training of local WWI troops. I just had a good feeling about finding a Barber, based on the time frame and the numbers of park visitors from the stories in my research.

Yesterday, Ken, a fellow MTHA club member and I spent a few hours in the wooded section adjacent to the park and because these woods are all on a steep hill, it has pretty much always been woods. It's about 800 feet by 500 feet.

We quickly discovered that generations of park-goers and neighbor kids have been using the woods for illicit drinking, as evidenced by older and newer beer cans, bottle caps, pulltabs and bottles.

Ken and I started finding a few modern coins; clads and memorial cents. I spotted a large rock outcropping that appeared to be "Roxbury Puddingstone", a unique but common local sedimentary conglomerate formation. When I got closer to it to verify it's identity, I saw something quite out of place. Embedded in a crevice, was a fired 3-ring bullet that appeared to have been shot from an angle rather than head on to the formation (See photos). I left the bullet wedged into the rock where I found it. A bit later, I dug another 3-ring bullet, very flattened.

Finally, after about an hour, and only a few inches deep, my first silver of the day; a 1901 Barber dime. I really felt rewarded for the research. My second silver was a 1943-P silver War Nickel.

My only other good find from this heavily wooded hillside was an Indian Head cent. I've found that gently flaking off the dry encrustation from IHP's after decades in the soil often is easily done on one side [with a sharpened wood toothpick] and extremely difficult on the other side. It was no different on this IHP, as the photos show. I believe it to be an 1890 or 1899 Indian.

Unfortunately, Ken did not get his coil over any old coins or relics yesterday; maybe that's his newness to the hobby or maybe his New Jersey roots - just kidding Ken :cool3: You'll probably skunk me next time.

So, here's a few pics from yesterday's hunt:

Attachments

• IMG_3194.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_3232.jpg
    IMG_3232.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_3230.jpg
    IMG_3230.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3220.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 596
I just started metal detecting again last month, after about a 10 year lay-off. Have been out three times, and found a coin each time. Two buffalos, and a wheat penny. I can’t wait to find an Indian Head penny. Honestly would take one of those over silver. Yes, I know that sounds crazy...:cool3:

Nice work on the research Jim! To set out to find a Barber and actually come home with one is pretty amazing, Congrats on the silvers and all the rest!

Jim good report and well done on the research. Something I should try a little harder at. Congrats on the shiny and Ihp. Perhaps you found yourself a new honey hole. I found an overlooked area in a pounded city park last year and it gave up some silver and relics. Hopefully this place will produce for you. Good luck, Mark

Great research and post. Thanks for sharing the photos of where you found them. Couple of nice finds.

Ken

Nice work on the research Jim! To set out to find a Barber and actually come home with one is pretty amazing, Congrats on the silvers and all the rest!

Thanks Ron... there may even be a Seated coin or two buried under all those years of oak leaves and beer cans.

Great post. Love the green patina on the coins. And I especially love the site pix and reveal pix. Good job.

Jim good report and well done on the research. Something I should try a little harder at. Congrats on the shiny and Ihp. Perhaps you found yourself a new honey hole. I found an overlooked area in a pounded city park last year and it gave up some silver and relics. Hopefully this place will produce for you. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark... The research phase is nearly as satisfying as the hunt sometimes. Not sure about the "honey hole" moniker for this spot though. The good finds were rather sparse. I had thoughts of trying to rake off a 6 inch layer of a 5' x 5' area of 120 years of fallen and decomposed oak leaves to see what goodies would now be within range of my searchcoil. A few sample scrapes though showed me that all the newer trees had just produced a mass of roots near the surface, making this kind of experiment more work than I realized. Oh, to own a Bobcat :digginahole:

Man what beautiful country! Love that woods shot! The barber is super nice too. War nickels don’t come around often and fantastic patient work on the IHP, that came out amazingly!

I'm dying to know which park/which town since I'm nearby. Couldn't have been Billings Field?

Not Billings Field, Rockie, I live about a mile from Billings and have detected there three or four times in the last few years. It’s a clad-stabbing paradise. I’ve only found one silver at Billings; a Merc dime. My spot was Not even in Boston. Keep guessing. :D

P.S. let me know if you see a treed hill and rock formations like in my pics when you go to Billings Field - I think I missed those when I was there last. :cool3:
Jim

Last edited:
Medfield?!

I found my first silver in Billings Field this summer. Been back a few times and yes. it's all clad. There's a steep wooded hill over by the tennis courts. No roxbury conglomerate though.

Medfield?!

I found my first silver in Billings Field this summer. Been back a few times and yes. it's all clad. There's a steep wooded hill over by the tennis courts. No roxbury conglomerate though.

Medfield ? Not even close, Rockie... only 349 more Massachusetts cities or towns to guess... :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom