Anyone else get excited

bunkeru2k

When you find out about a spot on public land that no one else knows about? So as background, I have been hitting up a public park that I would have termed as not super active here the last few weeks. Had a woman pop out the other day while I was digging my 4th wheat penny (out of the 5 total I have found, 4 have come from here in 2 trips) to see if I had been finding anything. She tells me that there are 5 or 6 people detecting there all the time, which makes me feel even better about actually doing remotely decent here, but I digress. Now I grew up near this park and my wife grew up down the street from here (70s and 80s) and together we have some memories of where things might have been to give me spots to hit, but nothing like this. She tells me a story that there was a very old house that was there many years ago, which was news to me. I have checked old aerials and there was no trace of this in the 60s, so I figure it has to be in the target range of what I am looking for. She walks me down and shows me the foundation of where this used to be....stone! I could see the ground sinking where the house was located and have a general idea of where the front would be....and a very large tree next to the house and an even larger one that was cut down behind it. The best part is that it is not really a spot that people would hit and she said she has never seen anyone detect that particular area.

Now the down side is that she waited til almost dark before she told me all of this and it was the day before I had to send my Nox unit in for service. Now I sit here on perfect days and wait for it to return so I can give that potential beauty a good solid effort. It is definitely iron infested and the brief time I did get, I did find some old square nails. Got to find that perfect setup for the Nox to sift thru it all when it gets back.

I had the same experience and found a nice old axe head where a 1800’s house once stood in a busy park. There is an 1800s trash pit as well but I just can’t figure out how to dig it in the middle of the park. If there is ever heavy equipment renovations I’m digging it.

It will still be there and you are the only one that knows about it.
Go slow and you will be fine.
Remember you will dig a lot of trash but you will have to.
If you see her ask her for a better ides where the house was. Make sure you ask where the back door was and the outhouse. Between those points I’d hit it hard.
Doug

Nothing wrong with that, hope you do well. You'd be surprised how many places have been hit yet it went un noticed. Hope you do have a virgin site.

Back
Top Bottom