Good saltwater detector

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
Hi everyone. I live in southern Connecticut near the coast of Long Island sound and I’m looking for a good detector to hunt the saltwater beaches and rivers near me. I currently use an AT Max and love it. I’ve had a lot of success in the fields and woods but it is very unstable near saltwater from what I’ve seen. I’m looking at an equinox 800 possibly but would spend a little more if necessary. Like I said I love the Garrett but just looking for something I can hit the saltwater with. Thanks

The 800 will do well for you in salt water. If you're looking for jewelry learn to dig the iffy signals. You rarely get a nice clean signal for gold jewelry. Also, get you a good scoop. I would recommend an 8x11.

The Equinox will do you fine in the saltwater. I use both the 800 and the 600. The 800 having more settings but I dont use them for the beach anyways. If you want to save a little money, the 600 does just as good and you could spend the money on a 15" coil. I like it more now that they added a second light setting for the early or late hunts. The single setting had no adjustment other than max brightness and would blind you from seeing anything in the dark. You would need to get aftermarket bluetooth headphones if you want wireless. In the water, waterproof headphones are a must anyways so you have to remain wired. You will love the Equinox with either model, they are great beach machines. I have found plenty with them! You will be shedding a lot of weight compared to swinging the MAX. I also have a Max and an ATPro. They dont see much use these days.....

Equinox 600, all the way. I bought one for beach hunting, dry sand, wet, and shallow surf. Deeper surf I use my Sand shark. But the nox is a great value for what you get.

Where I hunt there is much less trash (and targets in general) in the saltwater. If that is the case for you, by far the best machine I have used in the salt in the Minelab Excalibur II. Both of my hunting buddies use a Nox but one of them has just purchased an Excal based on borrowing mine. Hope that helps.

If your willing to spend a little more a tarsacci i feel is quite a bit better in saltwater than an equinox especially in black sand but a used cz or excalibur would be good if you end up not liking them you could resell with out losing any money or you could go apex which is also super good in the saltwater and so easy to swing although your not supposed to submerge them i have dunked mine quite a few times and i'm finding i almost always grab it over my cz

Can't speak for the Equinox models (I hear they're great), but my Tarsacci works extremely well on salt water beaches. Has a lot of different filters (black sand, salt, threshold, etc.) where you can deal with any situation!

Found a lot of good stuff with my bounty hunter following you on the beach. Lol!

QUOTE=The Lama;3270559]If your willing to spend a little more a tarsacci i feel is quite a bit better in saltwater than an equinox especially in black sand but a used cz or excalibur would be good if you end up not liking them you could resell with out losing any money or you could go apex which is also super good in the saltwater and so easy to swing although your not supposed to submerge them i have dunked mine quite a few times and i'm finding i almost always grab it over my cz[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone. I live in southern Connecticut near the coast of Long Island sound and I’m looking for a good detector to hunt the saltwater beaches and rivers near me. I currently use an AT Max and love it. I’ve had a lot of success in the fields and woods but it is very unstable near saltwater from what I’ve seen. I’m looking at an equinox 800 possibly but would spend a little more if necessary. Like I said I love the Garrett but just looking for something I can hit the saltwater with. Thanks

Wet Sand the 800.. in the water a Excalibur there have been a lot of 800's that have had water intrusion why take the chance?

Back
Top Bottom