Old wheaties, an IHP and silver#60 FTY is my first Stander!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Made it out today to my old park that has given up some of my oldest coins. Except for a biting wind, conditions are still excellent for this late in the year. One particular area of this park seems to hold the oldest stuff so that is where I concentrated my efforts. Good signals are becoming exceedingly more rare but I keep going back. I am glad I did today. Between the deeper pulltabs and a couple of falsing rusty bolts, I managed 3 older wheats ,a 1919, a 1913 and a 193?.
Deep and under a root, I also recovered a 1893 Indian Head penny. It's bent, crusty and worn but it is my 8th IHP this year and my first pre-1900 coin from a park.
A few yards away, I got a faint, deep 31-33 that I couldn't seem to pinpoint and even showed a few negative VDIs when I switched to all metal mode. Since I did the last update on my Equinox, I will frequently check these types of signals with the 4khz frequency. When I did this, the signal stabilized and I was able to pinpoint better. I commenced to dig the plug and pulled out a few handfuls of dirt from the bottom of the hole and put it on my towel. Stirring the dirt with my pin pointer, I located the clump and broke it open to see the sweet shine of silver. I picked off the dirt and in my hand was my very first Standing Liberty quarter. It is actually in pretty reasonable shape and the date is legible -1917 S. I don't dig very many silver quarters and in fact, this is only my third silver quarter this year and seventh in my detecting career, all the rest are GWs. Tomorrow I will be back there looking for more.
Thanks for looking and happy hunting!!

Attachments

• coins 11-21-20 .jpg
    coins 11-21-20 .jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 302
  • insitu 2 SLQ 11-21-20.jpg
    insitu 2 SLQ 11-21-20.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 1st SLQ 11-21-20.jpg
    1st SLQ 11-21-20.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 1st SLQ tails  11-21-20.jpg
    1st SLQ tails 11-21-20.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 248
Wow, outstanding find Todd! That is one good looking Standing Liberty. Good luck again tomorrow when you head back to the park!

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!! What a beautiful beautiful coin!!!!! That's a tough coin .
Huge huge congrats!!!!!

I actually dug the same one last summer , and in nearly the same condition, but for some reason the mint mark on mine is super super tiny.....almost not even visible.....but its definitely an S.

Big congrats again.

Congrats on your first SLQ. And what a sweet one at that. Key date, nice shape, you done good. hard to top that find. Good luck, Mark

Wow, outstanding find Todd! That is one good looking Standing Liberty. Good luck again tomorrow when you head back to the park!
Thanks David! I was very fortunate with this one. I did get another 1893 IHP today and a couple more old wheats but no shiny.

Dang! A type 1 stander with an S mark. Quit now. It doesn’t get any better.
I actually had to research this coin. I am no expert on key dates or versions of any coin. I was very lucky.

Thanks !

Nice! Standing Liberties really don't come out that nice except for once in a blue moon.
Up until this one ,they never came out for me in any condition.

That's a beaut Clark! No chain mail.
I like 'em that way..... but then again, who does'nt?

Nice! 1917 no stars under the eagle from San Fran in great shape!
Thanks ! any SLQ was a bucket lister for me. Now I need a Barber quarter.....

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!! What a beautiful beautiful coin!!!!! That's a tough coin .
Huge huge congrats!!!!!

I actually dug the same one last summer , and in nearly the same condition, but for some reason the mint mark on mine is super super tiny.....almost not even visible.....but its definitely an S.

Big congrats again.
Thanks bobac! Any silver quarter is tough for me, this one was a bonus for sure.

Congrats on your first SLQ. And what a sweet one at that. Key date, nice shape, you done good. hard to top that find. Good luck, Mark
Thanks Mark! I was very fortunate to get it. Good luck to you too!

Back
Top Bottom