Yelled at

The safety vest is a good idea. It makes you more visible to any traffic and it gives you the look of some kind of utility worker.
That might mean fewer questions about what you are doing.

However if i was asked i would not misrepresent who i was or what i was doing.

In my working days as a newspaper photographer i always kept such a vest in the car.

I would enter construction sites without asking permission and was rarely challenged.

....I would enter construction sites without asking permission and was rarely challenged.

The art of md'ing "sketchy sites" is often "act like you own the place". And no one bats an eye. Kind of like the art of picking up on women : It's something that can't be contrived, can't be learned, makes no sense, etc.....

Exactly; it's all about people's perceptions. If people think you belong there because they associate you with something they are familiar with/feel safe about, then they dont ask questions, even if their assumption is wrong. But look the least bit out of place and their suspicions are raised....
I had a couple come home to their house a bit away from where I was curb hunting. They asked what I was doing and in short order, they accused me of casing their home to rob it later!

And ... naturally .... you told him that you called the 3 digit utility-Co. phone # before you went down that street . Right ? You know, those "Call-before-you-dig" phone #'s, that contractors are supposed to call before heavy-equipment excavating trenches and such.

Humorously .... the utility Co's admonition (requirement that you "call before you dig") doesn't specify HOW deep. Just says any digging.

Thus .... OF COURSE you and I (and all md'rs) call that # before we embark on any md'ing excursion :laughing:

Tom i have to ask..DO YOU SIT IN FRONT OF THE COMP. ALL DAY LOGGED ON TO THE FORUM? 😂
im not sure ive seen many threads you dont reply on 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tom i have to ask..DO YOU SIT IN FRONT OF THE COMP. ALL DAY LOGGED ON TO THE FORUM? 😂

I think he does... except when he is out finding Seated Silver and Gold Coins at old California Stage Coach stops....:lol:

he disappears occasionally when a good cut opens up or when he hits one of his "back pocket" sites. once in a while us east coasters old coppers might drive him mad...but certainly not off the forum:laughing:

Tom i have to ask..DO YOU SIT IN FRONT OF THE COMP. ALL DAY LOGGED ON TO THE FORUM? 😂 ...

I think he does... except when he is out finding Seated Silver and Gold Coins at old California Stage Coach stops....:lol:

he disappears occasionally when a good cut opens up or when he hits one of his "back pocket" sites. once in a while us east coasters old coppers might drive him mad.......

Hey guys, it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it ! If it wasn't for control freaks like us, nothing would get done right in the world after all :laughing:

But seriously now, I'm self-employed, and at the point in my career where most of my day is spent "waiting to put out fires" (dispatch/delegation related issues with customers, employees, etc....). Just doing office work, so I can glance at forums whenever I'm bored.

Yes, as Loves-shiny says: I'm md'ing every chance I get. Went out last night to one of my "back-pocket" sites, to test a loaner Deus (I've never personally used a Deus before). Maybe I'll post the test results later :p

I've got a big 4 day ghost-townsy/stage stop trip planned for later this month. So you see : You'll be spared 4 days with no posts from me :laughing:

Hey guys, it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it ! If it wasn't for control freaks like us, nothing would get done right in the world after all :laughing:

But seriously now, I'm self-employed, and at the point in my career where most of my day is spent "waiting to put out fires" (dispatch/delegation related issues with customers, employees, etc....). Just doing office work, so I can glance at forums whenever I'm bored.

Yes, as Loves-shiny says: I'm md'ing every chance I get. Went out last night to one of my "back-pocket" sites, to test a loaner Deus (I've never personally used a Deus before). Maybe I'll post the test results later :p

I've got a big 4 day ghost-townsy/stage stop trip planned for later this month. So you see : You'll be spared 4 days with no posts from me :laughing:

shoot you hiring? my job is putting out fires behind people all day, sometimes literal fires are put out haha. your schedule sounds great:wow:

My normal procedure is to mark the extent and orientation of targets within 4", by the MD depth gauge, particularly, if they are within 2" of depth, which extent limits I mark with golf tees. Targets that present as continuously linear, I construe as probable utilities/infrastructure (onshore) and avoid or proceed with caution. Targets that are around/within 4" depth, I like to confirm with the Garrett Propointer, to refine the shallowest signals along a linear target lie, to start digging. This also helps indicate nearby targets/junk that confuses the issue. For targets inside 2" depth, I use a garden scratcher, roots permitting, which is less traumatic than a trowel or shovel/spade. I also carry snips for clearing roots and sometimes loppers for big roots and MD obstructing brush.

The safety vest is a good idea. It makes you more visible to any traffic and it gives you the look of some kind of utility worker.
That might mean fewer questions about what you are doing.

However if i was asked i would not misrepresent who i was or what i was doing.

In my working days as a newspaper photographer i always kept such a vest in the car.

I would enter construction sites without asking permission and was rarely challenged.

Yeah, I was thinking of this, as well, and was going to hit Harbor Freight to buy one or keep my eyes peeled along the interstates to spot one that fell off a truck. It would serve as urban camouflage to put Karen at ease. It would also show solidarity with Giles Jaunes in France. Adding a hard hat would also be a nice touch. Orange street cones and caution tape seems a tad extreme.

the safety vest reminds me of a payback funny story. for an investigation of a property in vicinity of a school zone, we were asked to measure the distance from the infraction area to the school property. The within the 1000 feet of a school zone for drugs etcc type charge in our state. The property manager of this project was a real pain somewhere when i was a police officer. so when i went to work for the lawyers, it was fun time.

Orange vest, hard hat and my rolling tape measure stick. my partner investigator, nice lady, followed along in the unmarked car. so i am happily rolling along and an older lady from the property comes out..What yall doing? i replied, didn't they give you folks notice? this property has been sold, this whole apartment project is going to be torn down, all you folks gotta move. they are building a super WallyWorld shopping center here. THEY ARE! :wow: she went running door to door. the lady with me was yelling get your crazy &^%$ in the car! it was hilarious, they flooded the office with folks within minutes. cellphones burning up! planning and zoning called...

i have built several..:roll::D:lol:

Back
Top Bottom