First hunt, F5...Review and log...

Digger27, another good day since you got out, learned more and found stuff. We've had some very cold nights, in the 17° to 27° range, but some unseasonable highs from 64° to 71°, and taking a bit of a dip this weekend. The ghost town we are headed for Sunday, likely our last ghost town trip of the year, was almost too weedy to hunt a month and a half ago but we're hoping to wander into a few open areas.

I have some other detectors and coils I need to put to work but I am going to grab the F5 w/7" Concentric coil to get started. So far it has been a good combination on the Test Scenarios that have been used for comparison purposes, and or fun I plan on working a dedicated area with a few models using 6½" and 7" Concentric coil.

Hopefully it will be a pleasant weather day, if the winds hold off, and I might get muck and chance upon a good keeper or two. It's a very well-hunted old town site that's been giving up very little the past year or so to several of us. I trust you can get out again and, maybe next time, sweep that coil over a silver coin or two.

Anyway, it's a fun detector to use so that, alone, will help make it a good day.

Monte

Just cold, Monte...too cold.
When I lived in Kansas for three years I loved the great dirt but I wasn't thrilled about being shut down for months are time in winter because here in the south we can still hunt easily after november.
The first winter there was mild, hovered around the 40's to 50's, very little snow or ice and I thought to myself this ain't so bad.
That winter was an anomaly, the next one came and with it the ice, bone shattering cold and tons of snow.
Not being able to hunt for several months in a row did a number on my mental well being, when my wife caught me burying coins in the dirt in a big planter we had in the living room and then I beeped over them and dug them up she started to get worried.
I had to endure one more winter there before we moved back.
I miss the great dirt, I don't miss the way too long winter layoff.

Summer hunting here is a drag, too hot, too humid, too dry, too uncomfortable to enjoy hunting but come this time of the year our second season starts in earnest.
Now with this new heater I am anxious to see what will happen.

Keep us apprised on the different coils mounted on the F5, always interested in new data.

Wow good info on F5. Was always interested in this machine because of the Analog Interface. Had a Tek Gamma and didn't appreciate it until I sold it. Nice little machine and it found some nice things. It did well in heavy iron too. Sniffed out buttons and even few large cents in heavy iron cellar hole sites that have been hit hard over the years.

Been thinking about a Omega 8500 or an F5 to replace my Gamma. All relatives of one another.

Wow good info on F5. Was always interested in this machine because of the Analog Interface. Had a Tek Gamma and didn't appreciate it until I sold it. Nice little machine and it found some nice things. It did well in heavy iron too. Sniffed out buttons and even few large cents in heavy iron cellar hole sites that have been hit hard over the years.

Been thinking about a Omega 8500 or an F5 to replace my Gamma. All relatives of one another.

Omegas are very close according to those that have used one and the F5.
A more modern configuration on the Omegas but I have detectors that use both forms and the differences are nothing I have any issues with.
Both light and ergonomic and even the two 9v batteries in the F5 are fine, I have been hunting with mine for two months on several hunts for many hours and I just recently went down to one bar in the battery meter so it only sips power just like my F70.

One thing I have heard mentioned is the F5 might handle heavy EMI sites a bit better and I regularly hunt in a few of those.
This thing especially with this Nel coil is surprisingly quiet and stable, I have found, even at those kinds of sites with crazy high settings so it may be true.

So as I said it can find coins.
Yesterday I went back to a very tiny park I have only visited once before.
Dedicated in 1907 but I think people have been hanging out here since the 1800's and the amount of trash is daunting, very typical of a 100+ year old park in an area where most people don't seem to understand what a trash can is or how to use one.
I found a bunch of clad in my last trip here a few years ago but this time I went looking for older coins even though I know many have hunted here before for decades.
No older coins on this trip except one 50's wheat but I just wandered around hoping to get lucky, I will go back and continue to see what is hiding.
There might be jewelry hiding here too, not easy to find in this trash heap but someday I might get lucky.
This park also has a small tot lot with not pebbles or chips but just old dirt which I haven't seen in years...most all of them around here in every park now has that stupid rubber padding so it was a pleasure to hunt in one of these again.

Because I was in old coin mode I specifically set the F5 up to find it using my Silver Slayer Settings.
Disc up to 65, notched in nickels only so those and the higher number coins should be noticed more easily without having to be bothered so much with the crown caps, foil, can slaw and all the other junk.
I find by doing this it stays crazy quiet because just like on the F70 not only does the thresh and gain control have a lot to do with mitigating chatter but the disc does too.
I was able to get to 95-99 on the gain and peg out the thresh in most areas even though this park is in the middle of a neighborhood with homes, many apartments and a restaurant close and surrounding it with EMI hitting it from all around.
I did try normal settings for awhile near the end of this hunt also with lower disc but the gain had to be lowered to the 70's or below and the thresh needed to be set down to -4 to -5 and it still was nowhere as quiet and stable.

Then I went hunting.

It's been awhile since I have been anywhere that I found so much clad, what you see in the pic is just some of it, there is many times more there I just didn't dig on this hunt.
Once in awhile I lowered my disc down to a little under 60 in case there were some Indians hiding but there were just too many zinc area signals.
I dug a few and just pushed the disc up again, I will look for those older coins on other hunts in the future.
In the tot lot I found several dimes and copper cents, that one wheat and one quarter hoping to find maybe a silver ring but found none, there were a ton of nickel area sta-tabs, however.
None were a super solid 30, all jumped a bit more indicating they were tabs but I dug them anyway.
The more trash I clear out the more I hope better signals will move to the forefront on future hunts.
For a bit I also tried those same Slayer settings but this time I just notched back in foil hoping to find some small gold or maybe a chain.
Again no luck but there were so many signals here, not done with that area by a long shot.
The cool thing is the F5 worked like a dream, super silent except when I hit foil or high tone coins and I found a lot of copper cents and dimes doing this plus tiny bits of foil.
I love how you can set this thing to target just one specific area like foil, or nickels or tabs...it zeroed in on the foil and high tone coins like a laser with excellent solid signals on the coins and yet still a bit jumpy over the foil which is behavior I like to see.
Pretty sure if I run over a good jewelry target in foil, even a chain, it will be a more solid signal I will have no choice but to dig.
I even tried all metal in that tot lot for a short time, this thing is filled with zincolns and a ton of other junkier signals but most of them I just left buried to spend my time and energy going after better targets.

My regular parks close to me are fun but nowhere near the amount of targets this thing holds, I think I will be spending a lot more time here in the future and who knows what will show up...eventually.
Plus the clad, I will clean it and spend it on something, probably related to this hobby.
I have found enough gold, silver and clad over the years to pay for most of my detectors and accessories so nice to know I have another site I can loot to my heart's content.

Over $4 in clad, a useful bottle cap opener, a stainless steel bangle, a religious pin and a lot of fun was my take on this hunt, and I wasn't there for very long, just a few hours.
Looking for much more as time goes on.

Attachments

• photostudio_1604234994475.jpg
    photostudio_1604234994475.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Not slowing down!

Back to the park I talked about in the previous post for a short hunt...
Can you say ridiculously target rich?

Old park from the early 1900's, abandoned by most hunters since they culled the easy silver from it probably in the 60's to 70's but they did that at all the parks around here and I know better...there probably are still great old coins here, jewelry too, just not easy to find.
Over 100 years of trash doesn't make it any easier, either, but who doesn't love a challenge?

It's a process, I will have to come here a lot and get tons of signals and targets out of the way, lots of trash included, before the stellar stuff starts showing up but I got the time and this park is only like three miles from my house so I'm all in on this one.
This tiny park also has a tot lot built in the 90's and that's loaded too plus all it has is dirt, been a few years since I came across one that didn't have that rubber padding so I am having fun in there, also.
As a matter of fact I did something yesterday I haven't done in years, I crawled under a big structure and just used my carrot to comb the surface and came up with like many more cents, both copper and zinc, a few nickels and that tiny leaf pin you see sitting on that button in the pic below.
The goal in this tot lot is jewelry so nice to have found some even though it's just cheap junk.
I tested it at home with the F5 and Sharpshooter coil and I was happy to see in my house with Wi-Fi and the gain turned down to 40 and the thresh at like -4 it still picked up the pin hovering over it at about 6" .
It was 05, iron, but the F5 can notice micro jewelry easily and that is a great thing to see.
Another thing I found was that knife, Bama of course because that's where I am, falling apart, missing the blade and not really deep also found in that tot lot.
Could have been there since before they installed the play structures, in the 80's this park had a bad rap because of the hookers and druggie types that took over this park for almost 10 years before the city cleaned it up.
A big overload signal, I dug it just to get it out of the way thinking it was some piece of useless metal junk but I love finding knives of any kind in any shape so a nice surprise.

Otherwise, I am doing my job, getting signals and digging a lot but honestly there are so many here, especially zinc, I am leaving more of those in the dirt than I am digging...for now.
Except for a few in the high 40's to lower 50's because 5 10k class rings I found came in there so I always dig those no matter what.
After awhile I almost considered avoiding some of the higher number coins, quarters are usually a normal 80 or so but dimes and copper cents come in anywhere from the low 70's up to 90 depending on the area and depth, my mineralized dirt just does that, and I love finding dimes but so many of these signals are copper cents which I would rather not spend the energy on digging right now but they have to be dug eventually to get a shot at noticing the better older coins and who knows...one of them might be an early surprise silver dime or silver ring.
I said I almost considered avoiding all these signals but in reality I never will, I am just programmed to dig high tone and high numbered smaller targets after over 10 years in this hobby.
If I actually stopped digging even one the what if's would bother me to no end, I stopped letting them do that to me a long time ago at most sites I hunt trying to avoid trash but in an old site like this they would return with a vengeance in a high tone coin signal and as I said they need to be removed eventually over time so one by one they will get dug.

This is like work, still fun but I have my eye on the prize and believe there will be a very bright light at the end of the tunnel if I persevere and do my job.
I have lots of patience, if any site needs lots of that this one does and despite all the trash and extra expended energy digging newer copper cents and some junk I still have much joy spending my time here.

As usual the F5 was excellent, quiet and stable with my Silver Slayer Settings using maxed out disc and only nickels and zinc notched back in and pegged out gain and thresh and still pretty great when at times I switched back to normal lower disc, gain and thresh settings and everything in just for a change looking for a some other decent signals in the other areas.
Sometimes ya just gotta change things up from time to time to keep from being bored.
On my last hunt here I found no nickels, unusual for me because I have always found a ton of them since I entered this hobby.
This time I found some in the tot lot with my carrot but I found a few more with the F5...When I slowed my swing way down.
I have been cautioned that the F5 letters a bit slower swing and especially so if I use high disc which I have been doing...a lot.
Not super easy for me to remember to do this all the time because I am a naturally fast swinger and all of the detectors I have used have had reputations for being blazing fast and that has been true for every one but if I remember to concentrate on just small areas it seems that slower speed does work better.
Lots of the targets I have found were masked with very short and quick signals, just my dirt again, but slowing down definitely me notice them better.
I will get it, I can change and learn to do anything over time if it is to my advantage to do so.

Hunt two down out of many more to come...targets galore and it is not slowing down as of yet so looking forward to the future, for sure.

Attachments

• photostudio_1604318212233.jpg
    photostudio_1604318212233.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 83
  • photostudio_1604318281874.jpg
    photostudio_1604318281874.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 72
  • photostudio_1604321194769.jpg
    photostudio_1604321194769.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 82
Not slowing down.

Back to the park I talked about in the previous post for a short hunt...
Can you say ridiculously target rich?

Old park from the early 1900's, abandoned by most hunters since they culled the easy silver from it probably in the 60's to 70's but they did that at all the parks around here and I know better...there probably are still great old coins here, jewelry too, just not easy to find.
Over 100 years of trash doesn't make it any easier, either, but who doesn't love a challenge?

It's a process, I will have to come here a lot and get tons of signals and targets out of the way, lots of trash included, before the stellar stuff starts showing up but I got the time and this park is only like three miles from my house so I'm all in on this one.
This tiny park also has a tot lot built in the 90's and that's loaded too plus all it has is dirt, been a few years since I came across one that didn't have that rubber padding so I am having fun in there, also.
As a matter of fact I did something yesterday I haven't done in years, I crawled under a big structure and just used my carrot to comb the surface and came up with like many more cents, both copper and zinc, a few nickels and that tiny leaf pin you see sitting on that button in the pic below.
The goal in this tot lot is jewelry so nice to have found some even though it's just cheap junk.
I tested it at home with the F5 and Sharpshooter coil and I was happy to see in my house with Wi-Fi and the gain turned down to 40 and the thresh at like -4 it still picked up the pin hovering over it at about 6" .
It was 05, iron, but the F5 can notice micro jewelry easily and that is a great thing to see.
Another thing I found was that knife, Bama of course because that's where I am, falling apart, missing the blade and not really deep also found in that tot lot.
Could have been there since before they installed the play structures, in the 80's this park had a bad rap because of the hookers and druggie types that took over this park for almost 10 years before the city cleaned it up.
A big overload signal, I dug it just to get it out of the way thinking it was some piece of useless metal junk but I love finding knives of any kind in any shape so a nice surprise.

Otherwise, I am doing my job, getting signals and digging a lot but honestly there are so many here, especially zinc, I am leaving more of those in the dirt than I am digging...for now.
Except for a few in the high 40's to lower 50's because 5 10k class rings I found came in there so I always dig those no matter what.
After awhile I almost considered avoiding some of the higher number coins, quarters are usually a normal 80 or so but dimes and copper cents come in anywhere from the low 70's up to 90 depending on the area and depth, my mineralized dirt just does that, and I love finding dimes but so many of these signals are copper cents which I would rather not spend the energy on digging right now but they have to be dug eventually to get a shot at noticing the better older coins and who knows...one of them might be an early surprise silver dime or silver ring.
I said I almost considered avoiding all these signals but in reality I never will, I am just programmed to dig high tone and high numbered smaller targets after over 10 years in this hobby.
If I actually stopped digging even one the what if's would bother me to no end, I stopped letting them do that to me a long time ago at most sites I hunt trying to avoid trash but in an old site like this they would return with a vengeance in a high tone coin signal and as I said they need to be removed eventually over time so one by one they will get dug.

This is like work, still fun but I have my eye on the prize and believe there will be a very bright light at the end of the tunnel if I persevere and do my job.
I have lots of patience, if any site needs lots of that this one does and despite all the trash and extra expended energy digging newer copper cents and some junk I still have much joy spending my time here.

As usual the F5 was excellent, quiet and stable with my Silver Slayer Settings using maxed out disc and only nickels and zinc notched back in and pegged out gain and thresh and still pretty great when at times I switched back to normal lower disc, gain and thresh settings and everything in just for a change looking for a some other decent signals in the other areas.
Sometimes ya just gotta change things up from time to time to keep from being bored.
On my last hunt here I found no nickels, unusual for me because I have always found a ton of them since I entered this hobby.
This time I found some in the tot lot with my carrot but I found a few more with the F5...When I slowed my swing way down.
I have been cautioned that the F5 letters a bit slower swing and especially so if I use high disc which I have been doing...a lot.
Not super easy for me to remember to do this all the time because I am a naturally fast swinger and all of the detectors I have used have had reputations for being blazing fast and that has been true for every one but if I remember to concentrate on just small areas it seems that slower speed does work better.
Lots of the targets I have found were masked with very short and quick signals, just my dirt again, but slowing down definitely me notice them better.
I will get it, I can change and learn to do anything over time if it is to my advantage to do so.

Hunt two down out of many more to come...targets galore and it is not slowing down as of yet so looking forward to the future, for sure.

Digger27,

Hi Dave !:tiphat:

I benefit and enjoy reading your posts. !

You've accomplished a lot in 10 years. :clap: Your high-level grasp of metal detector operation, best hunting areas and conditions, plus the 3 P's necessary: (PERSEVERANCE: Continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition.), PATIENCE: (The capacity for waiting without becoming annoyed.), and (PURPOSEFULNESS: Showing determination to achieve a specific aim or goal.), have made you what you are today, and a lucky guy to have lot's of time to :research: and hunt.

All the required ingredients for big success !

Thanks for sharing details of your hunts, and frequent pictures of finds.

BTW, is the nice find with "ALABAMA" a harmonica, or a switch blade ?

You the Man Dave !!!
ToddB64

Last edited:
Digger27,

Hi Dave !:tiphat:

I benefit and enjoy reading your posts. !

You've accomplished a lot in 10 years. :clap: Your high-level grasp of metal detector operation, best hunting areas and conditions, plus the 3 P's necessary: (PERSEVERANCE: Continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition.), PATIENCE: (The capacity for waiting without becoming annoyed.), and (PURPOSEFULNESS: Showing determination to achieve a specific aim or goal.), have made you what you are today, and a lucky guy to have lot's of time to :research: and hunt.

All the required ingredients for big success !

Thanks for sharing details of your hunts, and frequent pictures of finds.

BTW, is the nice find with "ALABAMA" a harmonica, or a switch blade ?

You the Man Dave !!!
ToddB64

Thank you...Thank you very much. (Elvis impression).
It's a knife, don't think it's a switchblade but maybe.
Separated in half and the blade and some of the guts are missing.

Back
Top Bottom