Any Ideas?

TracePro

I found this big brass something at an old harness racing horse track that was converted to a city park years ago. It's at least a pound. I'm guessing it's a weight of some kind but was wondering if it's horse tack of some kind. Any ideas what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0901 (2).jpg
    IMG_0901 (2).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0902 (2).jpg
    IMG_0902 (2).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0903 (2).jpg
    IMG_0903 (2).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 239
I believe this was a weight that went on the horses hoof? I seem to remember seeing one somewhere but I could also be completely off base with that

Nothing that I've ever seen associated with horse's feet. They wouldn't weight feet on race horses EVER.
When we do use weight on horse's feet, it's to add animation (enhance the gait) on gaited horses, and we do it with toe-weighted shoes, not with a lose weight or anything you'd strap on.

Nothing that I've ever seen associated with horse's feet. They wouldn't weight feet on race horses EVER.
When we do use weight on horse's feet, it's to add animation (enhance the gait) on gaited horses, and we do it with toe-weighted shoes, not with a lose weight or anything you'd strap on.

I saw one posted and identified recently, maybe it was on the other detecting site. They for sure added something like this to the toe of horses for some reason back in the day. could have been for gait or training, but they existed and look very similar to this. There was even an image from a catalog of something with the Identification. Might not have been for racing, but it is possible this item is one of those. I will try and do some research and find it if I have time today. I have however never seen a modern version like this so I can see your view point. also it was tacked on.... that slot looks like it fits a square shoe nail pretty well

Edit there is actually another piece or two missing on how it attached... did not attach as i thought

Last edited:
I've never seen or heard of anything like it, and I've shod a lot of gaited horses.
It appears to utilize a bracket that is screwed directly to the hoof wall. No wonder it never caught on, and even less of a wonder that it got lost.

Still, a good ID!

Thanks, just had that nagging feeling i had seen it before

here ya go

I've never seen or heard of anything like it, and I've shod a lot of gaited horses.
It appears to utilize a bracket that is screwed directly to the hoof wall. No wonder it never caught on, and even less of a wonder that it got lost.

Still, a good ID!

Thanks, just had that nagging feeling i had seen it before

Thanks for the great ID Tpmetal! The track opened up around 1935 and closed about 20 years ago. It used to be a training track in the winter since the winters are so mild here. Most of the raceway has been converted to soft ball fields but I'm going to hunt there again soon and see what else I can find.

Back
Top Bottom