• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

F70 speaker / battery compartment repair

Mikey48

Forum Supporter
Has anyone removed this module? I have purchased a used f70 and there is an open crack in the front end of the module, possibly a small piece missing.
It would allow moisture into the compartment, so I am considering removing the piece and repairing it with black epoxy. It does not look like a hard job, but I am wondering if anyone else has taken one of these apart?

Maybe, but I just figured it would be a lot better repair if I could access it from both sides and not have epoxy on whatever is inside. It is an open crack about an eighth inch wide at the widest spot. I can't push the crack closed.

I tried to take my F70 batt box apart several years ago...I wanted to replace the worn out slip on handle with a cool bicycle one...Anyway, I sort of gave up and simply wrapped the shaft with Ace bandage....

I cant remember exactly what stopped me from proceeding...something spooked me, or I got distracted.....Cant be a whole lot in there, the On/Off switch, the speaker, and the wires running inside the shaft up to the brain...You might just put a piece of tape over it or JBWeld it? Keep it simple?

I did run my coil cable inside the shaft..that was pretty easy, cut and solder job..Got rid of the camlocks...Also sawed the fins off the 11"DD a while back with No trouble there either....NO trouble at all with this rig...I wonder what the cycle life of the On/Off switch is though, I've turned mine on and off thousands or times...Its super light and fast...

Attachments

• fins.jpg
    fins.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 173
  • fins1.jpg
    fins1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 177
  • cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 175
  • F70-1.jpg
    F70-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 176
thanks for the input Mud.. I might as well start taking the pod off the stick and see where it goes. If it looks like brain surgery I'll just hammer the parts back in and tape it shut with duct tape. :shock:

:thumbsup: I like your coil mod. I would never have dared to do that one. How did you get the coil cable end through that little hole in the pole?

How did you get the coil cable end through that little hole in the pole?

I tried to take the plug off the end, but didnt have the right microsoldering gear, so I carefully measured and cut the cable! Making sure that enough cable would stick out of the lower to be able to solder....Drilled the hole in the lower shaft, threaded the cable through, threaded the top end of the cable down through the center shaft, and then simply resoldered those wires back together, taped it up, then reassembled the shafts, and actually pop riveted the lower to the upper!! :laughing: It didnt take me but 1/2hr...:laughing:

The reason I cut off the fins was on account of they would catch all sorts of wet mowed grass, sand, snow, etc...make it weigh a ton...didnt like it...got rid of the fins...like it just fine now!:laughing:

I also used some JBWeld on the inside of the coil ears..See that wax paper? .they were nearly worn clear through from the shaft rubbing on them...Thats probably important thing to check occasionally..a guy could use part of a fin to beef up that area I guess, like a little gusset?...those ears are very thin.....

Nice job Mud. A lightweight racing type detector for ultra fast clad recovery.

I did take the battery box off of the shaft and take the thing apart. Ended up just cleaning out the dirt and putting back together. There's a small circuit board glued in, I could not pull the on/off knob from the pot shaft and did not want to break something, so just put it back the way it was. I may send it to fisher and see what they charge to refurb it. My head tells me I should just run it.

Attachments

• f70 battery module-openIMG_2018.800.jpg
    f70 battery module-openIMG_2018.800.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 143
Back
Top Bottom