Help with plugs

okinaw55

I've tried recently to take more care of my plug digging to be respectful of people that don't want their yard to look like its been hit with mortars. The problem is I seem to suck at it. I cut 3 sides out, flip it upside down, and if I did nothing further I'm sure I could pop it back in no problem. Where I run into problems is finding the item I'm searching for. I tend to break up the dirt and grass trying to locate my find. When it comes to replacing the plug I end up with an impossible jigsaw puzzle and my plug never fits right. Subsequently, I end up getting it flat, but the grass always seems to die when I inspect later. Any tips?

I have the same problem and break them up too... but the coons and armadillo's dug them back up later anyway So... LOL

Are you using a hand held pin pointer to help locate the target?? Should not have to break up the plug searching if you are. But practice makes perfect. If the yard is Dry then wait till there has been some rain.

I've got a pinpointer but keep finding other targets (trash) in the holes along with what I'm hearing in the headphones. Guess I need more practice. I know part of my problem is not checking depth before digging. Gotta break that habit I guess.

Our grass/root system here is really thick. I cut a horseshoe shape as deep as possible and make sure I am through the sod before flipping it back. I must be lucky because I rarely find anything in the plug. If you have to dig in the plug try a smaller tool like a coin probe so you can poke around without destroying it. X2 on having a good pinpointer.

I've tried recently to take more care of my plug digging to be respectful of people that don't want their yard to look like its been hit with mortars. The problem is I seem to suck at it. I cut 3 sides out, flip it upside down, and if I did nothing further I'm sure I could pop it back in no problem. Where I run into problems is finding the item I'm searching for. I tend to break up the dirt and grass trying to locate my find. When it comes to replacing the plug I end up with an impossible jigsaw puzzle and my plug never fits right. Subsequently, I end up getting it flat, but the grass always seems to die when I inspect later. Any tips?

Unless you know right away that the target is more than a few inches deep, run the pinpointer against the dirt before cutting the plug. If the coin is within an inch or so of the surface you'll know its exact location and minimally disturb the soil retrieving it.

I've got a pinpointer but keep finding other targets (trash) in the holes along with what I'm hearing in the headphones. Guess I need more practice. I know part of my problem is not checking depth before digging. Gotta break that habit I guess.

If you're not running your pinpointer over the surface of the sod BEFORE you cut a plug (to determine if your target is VERY shallow) then I can see why you're tearing up the plug. If you get a signal with the pinpointer before you cut the plug, then use your probe or screwdriver to lift the target out.

If you don't get a signal on the pinpointer before you cut the plug, then cut your plug, flip it back and use your detector's coil to check to see if the target is in the plug or still in the hole. If in the plug, now try the pinpointer again at the underside of the plug to narrow down its location and avoid tearing the plug apart with your (hopefully gloved) hands. If your not using a ground cloth to place the soil on from the hole, good idea to start doing that too, which goes a LONG way toward leaving a neat re-plugged hole.

Good luck and welcome to the forum from Boston.

Another of many reasons I don’t hunt private property...
If you are primarily hunting coins and you are encountering trash targets within the plug/hole BUT EVENTUALLY INDEED FINDING A COIN...that’s a good sign in the regard that whatever machine you are using is seeing that coin target mixed in with the trash..and STILL giving you a solid indication that it IS a coin.
What machine ARE you using? Coil size?

Only detect yards/parks when the ground isn't hard or dry. Learn to pinpoint better while in disc mode. If you're not finding a good target then learn what targets to dig or not. Try a better pinpointer if needed, nothing beats a TRX for depth or precision. Watch a good digger on YouTube and see what you're doing wrong..

Using the Garrett AT Max with the manufacturer default coil and the pro pointer AT. I think what was mentioned with checking the surface before digging a plug might be my issue. I'll try that and also try to keep an eye on how deep it's ringing up. Thank you all for the advice. I'll report back.

Ok, the surface method worked well. Much smaller holes not noticeable. I did run into one deeper find and after pinpointing it down to 2mm-ish, it was still 2 inches of its target and junk. Still learning this machine too so ... Thanks for all the advice. I'll practice further. I wanted to go more but I live in Minne-squito so had to run back inside.

Last edited:
Using the Garrett AT Max with the manufacturer default coil and the pro pointer AT. I think what was mentioned with checking the surface before digging a plug might be my issue. I'll try that and also try to keep an eye on how deep it's ringing up. Thank you all for the advice. I'll report back.

Ok, the surface method worked well. Much smaller holes not noticeable. I did run into one deeper find and after pinpointing it down to 2mm-ish, it was still 2 inches of its target and junk. Still learning this machine too so ... Thanks for all the advice. I'll practice further. I wanted to go more but I live in Minne-squito so had to run back inside.

Excellent!

When it is dry I always carry a couple of gallon jugs of water when hunting yards and curbstrips. After I cut a plug and retrieve the target, I pour water in the hole , replace the plug, and pour more water on the replaced sod. Voila!- No dead spots!

When it is dry I always carry a couple of gallon jugs of water when hunting yards and curbstrips. After I cut a plug and retrieve the target, I pour water in the hole , replace the plug, and pour more water on the replaced sod. Voila!- No dead spots!

I was thinking of doing just this very thing! I live in eastern Washington and it gets really hot/dry here in the summer. I bet this would save lots of grass and it is something i intend to try for sure. Not super jazzed about luggin water around but it beats killing grass and ruining a spot for everyone.

If you're not running your pinpointer over the surface of the sod BEFORE you cut a plug (to determine if your target is VERY shallow) then I can see why you're tearing up the plug. If you get a signal with the pinpointer before you cut the plug, then use your probe or screwdriver to lift the target out.

If you don't get a signal on the pinpointer before you cut the plug, then cut your plug, flip it back and use your detector's coil to check to see if the target is in the plug or still in the hole. If in the plug, now try the pinpointer again at the underside of the plug to narrow down its location and avoid tearing the plug apart with your (hopefully gloved) hands. If your not using a ground cloth to place the soil on from the hole, good idea to start doing that too, which goes a LONG way toward leaving a neat re-plugged hole....
Splendid post... both informative and thorough! :thumbsup: Though it's a side note, I'll say +1 on the ground cloth, which can be anything from an old towel to a gallon-size Ziploc-style bag. By heaping any excess dirt on the cloth, your clean up job becomes easier & produces more satisfactory results. (The bag works well for me because its slippery surface allows me to just slide the dirt back into the hole when I'm through, and then pack it down & replace the plug.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom