Boots for stream detecting...

Nubster

Hope this is the right place to ask...IMO clothing is kinda an accessory right?

Anyways...I want to start getting into the creeks and streams around my area to detect and look for Indian artifacts. When the water is warm I don't mind getting wet. But this time of year...it's a bit too chilly to be wading in the water and getting wet feet. Just curious what other's wear when out in the water to stay dry.

I don't want to spend the premium price for something like Muck Boots unless they truly are worth the money. I was also debating on some hip or even chest waders. I know they are potentially dangerous but the water I'd be in is rarely more than knee deep, occasionally might hit mid thigh. Only reason I'm even considering the chest waders is so I could get down on a knee to dig or search without getting water coming over the top of my boots or hip waders.

Thoughts?

I always wear rubber boots detecting. I would get something taller if you plan to spend a lot of time in the water and want to stay dry. Also use caution, I recently purchased muck brand boots and they do have metal in them.

Taller than the 16" muck style boots? I don't really see anything taller but I haven't been looking very long and only on Amazon at this point. Seems that it goes from 16" boot to hip wader.

I picked up a pair of rubber boots a few weeks ago at tractor supply for $16.99 they are made in the USA and I’m very happy with them. The brand is “Servus by Honeywell”

As a professional angler, I've probably worn every type of foot/leg covering out there. Main problem, they will in time all leak. Anything good is expensive. Chest waders would be best so that as you say, you "can take a knee". Best combination in cold weather, Gortex chest waders, under those, fleece pants. Although they pretty much all have knee protectors, wear your knee pads or you'll wear the knees out in a half dozen trips. They're not made for that type of work.
Rubber chest wader would work, they're heavy and cumbersome. They also are prone to leaks. Wading around in a pair of waders with one soggy pant leg sucks. If you get thigh high wader boots, you'll kneel into water a little too deep and have both legs soggy inside. Now, think of your arms. A soaked sweatshirt is cold and very annoying, that means arm pit length rubber gloves.
Regardless of what you decide to get, buy a tube of "Aqua Seal" its the only sealant I've found that works quite well. For tears, seams etc.
If you choose chest waders, get a wading belt. If you fall into deeper water they'll help keep your waders from filling up, there's even floating wader belts, (Simms)
In my opinion, and I've stood on ocean jetties at night, in December. Water detecting in cold weather is more trouble than it's worth. Wait till it gets warm enough to wear shorts, knee pads and go at it. Oh, if you decide to try chest waders, pee before you get into the water. As soon as that cold water trickles down your back you'll be ready to piss your pants and it takes 5 minutes to get them far enough down to do your business. That's just about enough time to get out of the creek, let alone, take off your jacket, drop your suspenders, get through your fleece, find your shriveled up snout and go. It'll be the most frantic 5 minutes of your life!

In waders last year while I was MD in the bay and decided to walk up a creek when I actually hit quicksand and had to fight my way out of it. Watch where you walk.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

As a professional angler, I've probably worn every type of foot/leg covering out there. Main problem, they will in time all leak. Anything good is expensive. Chest waders would be best so that as you say, you "can take a knee". Best combination in cold weather, Gortex chest waders, under those, fleece pants. Although they pretty much all have knee protectors, wear your knee pads or you'll wear the knees out in a half dozen trips. They're not made for that type of work.

Rubber chest wader would work, they're heavy and cumbersome. They also are prone to leaks. Wading around in a pair of waders with one soggy pant leg sucks. If you get thigh high wader boots, you'll kneel into water a little too deep and have both legs soggy inside. Now, think of your arms. A soaked sweatshirt is cold and very annoying, that means arm pit length rubber gloves.

Regardless of what you decide to get, buy a tube of "Aqua Seal" its the only sealant I've found that works quite well. For tears, seams etc.

If you choose chest waders, get a wading belt. If you fall into deeper water they'll help keep your waders from filling up, there's even floating wader belts, (Simms)

In my opinion, and I've stood on ocean jetties at night, in December. Water detecting in cold weather is more trouble than it's worth. Wait till it gets warm enough to wear shorts, knee pads and go at it. Oh, if you decide to try chest waders, pee before you get into the water. As soon as that cold water trickles down your back you'll be ready to piss your pants and it takes 5 minutes to get them far enough down to do your business. That's just about enough time to get out of the creek, let alone, take off your jacket, drop your suspenders, get through your fleece, find your shriveled up snout and go. It'll be the most frantic 5 minutes of your life!
Thanks for the tip on the Wadi g belt! Do you recommend any ?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

It'll be the most frantic 5 minutes of your life!

Haha this sounds like Mudpuppy writing! I enjoyed the imagery lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyways...I want to start getting into the creeks and streams around my area to detect and look for Indian artifacts. When the water is warm I don't mind getting wet. But this time of year...it's a bit too chilly to be wading in the water and getting wet feet. Just curious what other's wear when out in the water to stay dry.

I know you were looking to stay dry, but I often wear my dive/kayak boots (Amazon link) when I'm water hunting (you never know what you'll step on or in) and these really do the trick. The extra layer (3mm) of neoprene does help for those colder water days, but your feet will be wet regardless with these. Just a good layer of protection however. Cheers!

Attachments

• 91dHOLaiDQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91dHOLaiDQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 354
I know you were looking to stay dry, but I often wear my dive/kayak boots (Amazon link) when I'm water hunting (you never know what you'll step on or in) and these really do the trick. The extra layer (3mm) of neoprene does help for those colder water days, but your feet will be wet regardless with these. Just a good layer of protection however. Cheers!

Those would be perfect in warmer weather. I mostly was looking for something so if I wanted to hit some creeks in really cold weather I wouldn't get wet or too cold. I ended up with some hip waders and they work pretty well. As the weather/water gets warmer I'll have no problem just wearing my old running shoes or perhaps I'll look into something like the kayak boots. I used to scuba dive and I was always amazed at how warm a wet suit could actually keep you.

Here’s what I use Nubster.
Mares 5 mm Trilastic Dive Boots with hard rubber sole.
Good luck!

Attachments

• D7E29CE2-BF76-44BF-A6E0-585D83795F84.jpeg
    D7E29CE2-BF76-44BF-A6E0-585D83795F84.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 459

I don't want to spend the premium price for something like Muck Boots unless they truly are worth the money. I was also debating on some hip or even chest waders. I know they are potentially dangerous but the water I'd be in is rarely more than knee deep, occasionally might hit mid thigh. Only reason I'm even considering the chest waders is so I could get down on a knee to dig or search without getting water coming over the top of my boots or hip waders.

Thoughts?

I had the same problem. Tried waders but they just seem to be too clumsy for me. I bought a pair of Servus made in USA boots. They come up about half way to my knee. They are very comfortable to even walk in on the way to the creeks and I think mine cost under $30. You can find them on Amazon. Very well made. A little heavy, but solid and I think they will last for ever.

Cold weather...boot foot (for warm socks) felt sole 3 or 5mm neoprene chest waders...warm weather try felt soled high top shoes (like used with sock foot waders) whatever you decide...I highly recommended felt soles...once you try them vs rubber soles you’ll never go back...waders are safe if you wear the waist belt tight enough (essential)...and neoprene fits tighter so has very little air space inside vs conventional baggy rubber chest waders...just my 2 cents...

Cold weather...boot foot (for warm socks) felt sole 3 or 5mm neoprene chest waders...warm weather try felt soled high top shoes (like used with sock foot waders) whatever you decide...I highly recommended felt soles...once you try them vs rubber soles you’ll never go back...waders are safe if you wear the waist belt tight enough (essential)...and neoprene fits tighter so has very little air space inside vs conventional baggy rubber chest waders...just my 2 cents...

Felt soles are great, but unfortunately they are actually banned in several states, and many more are considering it...…….

I got a cheap set of hip waders for now and I'll see how they work out. Warm enough now that unless I just don't want to get wet...I don't really need them. I am interested in the felt sole shoes though...just for the grip. Not really worried about getting flooded in hip or chest waders. At this point I'm not going into anything much deeper than knee deep. Too deep for something like a muck boot but not deeper than a hip wader can handle. Perhaps if I find myself using the hip waders often enough I'll look at a nicer chest wader in the future.

I read one reason is because they are difficult to disinfect so you could potentially spread disease/evasive species from one body of water to another. That might be the only reason.

So far looks like only these places have banned them:

Maryland.
Alaska.
Missouri.
Nebraska.
Rhode Island.
South Dakota.
Yellowstone National Park.

Back
Top Bottom