• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detecting Curb strips got me a permission

aviationgale

Elite Member
Wasn't finding much of anything today other than 2 wheat pennies. I believe this street has been done to death. Well an owner came out to get his garbage cans and I just said hello and he replied back. Anyway I asked when his house had been built and he told me 1920, so 100 yrs. ago. I told him he probably had some real nice things in his yard and he should have it detected. So he offers it up to me. Holy Moly really???? This property has a huge house on it and it sits on a double lot which I believe was originally that way. So I'm thinking that this place could hold a plethora of stuff. Only downfall is it was a apartment house before they got it. But lets hope there are lots of goodies waiting for me, I'm so overdue for a good permission.

Wasn't finding much of anything today other than 2 wheat pennies. I believe this street has been done to death. Well an owner came out to get his garbage cans and I just said hello and he replied back. Anyway I asked when his house had been built and he told me 1920, so 100 yrs. ago. I told him he probably had some real nice things in his yard and he should have it detected. So he offers it up to me. Holy Moly really???? This property has a huge house on it and it sits on a double lot which I believe was originally that way. So I'm thinking that this place could hold a plethora of stuff. Only downfall is it was a apartment house before they got it. But lets hope there are lots of goodies waiting for me, I'm so overdue for a good permission.

Good luck. The modern trash might try your patience, however! Hopefully kids lived there in the 1940s-50s!

I have received many a yard permission utilizing that exact scenario. Once people realize that you are just a hobbyist and you can convince them you will be respectful, its easy peasy. While detecting your new permission, ask about other old houses in the neighborhood, get a name and be a name dropper. Good luck!!

I have received many a yard permission utilizing that exact scenario. Once people realize that you are just a hobbyist and you can convince them you will be respectful, its easy peasy. While detecting your new permission, ask about other old houses in the neighborhood, get a name and be a name dropper. Good luck!!

Yep! I "name drop" a lot when out detecting curb strips and seeking permissions. Nothing like letting a new possible permission know that you have detected Mary's, Bill's, and Tom's house and others in the neighborhood. Helps "grease the skids" for sure with many people.

Yep! I "name drop" a lot when out detecting curb strips and seeking permissions. Nothing like letting a new possible permission know that you have detected Mary's, Bill's, and Tom's house and others in the neighborhood. Helps "grease the skids" for sure with many people.

I have received many a yard permission utilizing that exact scenario. ....

^ ^ these ^ ^

Yes, sometimes just to "be seen" by a curious on-looker will lead to permissions. EVEN IF THAT MEANS detecting lame spots . I have sometimes purposefully done a lame looking yard in an old neighborhood (once that looks like an easy permission, because I see someone out front working their yard). And then purposefully give them a few wheaties and strike up conversation. Then I get their name.

Then .... armed with the name, THEN show up at the yard I REALLY wanted to work on the block. And say something like "I was just at your neighbor so & so's house down the street with this detector. And they said your house was the oldest on the block, etc..." Having a "name to drop" helps break the ice.

Good advice on the name dropping. Congrats on that permission - hope to see you posting on the "Mindblowing Finds" forum soon!

Thank you all, I'm heading there tomorrow and I have a good feeling about this place. This lot is so big that I'm thinking that this may have been the "place" for the kids to hang out and play ball and such. Also maybe a lot of family picnics. We'll see and I'll keep you posted...

Back
Top Bottom