1916D Merc at a pounded park!

Well I have to admit when I first saw this I thought “it is just a mercury dime. Why is it is in the mind blowing finds”. Then I researched the dime and Holy Poo Poo! Good job. It made me go through my bag of mercury dimes but no luck. Congratulations!

What a beauty, not only rare but in great shape. A huge attaboy on that one sir. I have yet to dig any 1916. 1917 , probably 6 but no 16s. Again, just wow. HH Mark

Obviously, awesome find, but good on you for going through the time and expense to get it graded and slabbed!

I've only dug one 1916 before and it was in beautiful condition, I held my breath and did the flip...and S mint mark. But we can always hope, as your outcome shows :D

un-real find that is awesome I would be jumping out of my skin.

my dad was big into detecting when I was a kid. I never got into it then and really regret it now because it was something he really enjoyed and did a lot. I didn't get into it until after he had passed away. he had Jars full of Silver dimes and over the years we sold all of them off. kind of regret selling them now to tell the truth. but cant undo it now. of all the ones he had I went through them one by one to see if there were any key dates and only found one. Cant remember now which year and mint it was but we sold it for $80 alone. helped my mom out some so it was worth it.
the 16 D always alluded him

Hell of a find. I wonder how the Environmental Damage effects the value? I'd have had it stabbed too. Great thing to look at.

Sweet rare find !

From the photos you posted, the detail appears to me, to match up with an XF40-XF45 grade (I use the PCGS Coin Grading App). As someone already mentioned, a professional grading service will add the "Environmental Damage" qualifier to its description, knocking its collector/sale value down.

Here's a link to the current Coinworld values for the 1916 Merc Dimes:
https://www.coinworld.com/coinvalues/dime/1916-winged-liberty-head-mercury-dime.html

Jim

What a fantastic find!
Glad to see it graded as highly as well.....huge congrats, truly a hunters dream.

Back
Top Bottom