a "lounge lift" ????

StPetePaulie

It wasn't a stellar day by most standards. It wasn't even a good day by some standards. For me, though, it was a pretty good day. I walked down the beach this morning....in the dark.....around 5 am....lots of stars up there...but the beach was still pretty unlit. There were a couple of people sleeping on the sand. I tiptoed around them. No time to worry about that. I walked forever....turning around from time to time to make sure I was not being followed by someone intent on harm...or even worse...conversation. The sands remained clear and safe and I finally got to the ridge where I saw the line of umbrella stands a couple of days before. They weren't there now...which was the point of getting there so early...to beat the mean umbrella/cabana dude to the spot. Alas, there was a light heading towards me....it was the dude...arghhhh. I don't know why he was there so early putting his umbrellas up but I backed away from the ridge....slithering back along the seaweed line....my watchful eye.....waiting.....biding my time...and then finally he left ..and I pounced !! I found...nothing !!! The main reason I walked so far was because I wanted to check out the grouping of wooden chaise lounges I had seen the same couple of days before when I saw the umbrella line. It got light enough to move to those lounges...but.....they were not there. Had I walked too far ? Did I become entranced by the disorienting silhouettes along the way and overshoot my destination ? I looked behind me and then ahead of me...getting my bearings....and then I realized I was in the right spot....just all of the wooden lounges had been moved !! That meant a day of unobstructed metal detecting madness would soon unfold !!! Two hours later I emerged from my world of sand with a finds pouch full of change ! Several scoops had two coins in them ! Not a stellar day for most...like I said....but a pretty good day for me.

About halfway back to the car I realized that I had walked way too far !! Too far I kept repeating to myself...at one point using my long handled sand scoop as a walking stick.....but then.....somehow...finally...I made it to my car....and then made it to work only a few minutes late.

I am pretty sure that that spot hadn't been hunted in a while because of the double coins and the dirty dimes and quarters....and also most people are not dumb enough to walk so far for a couple bucks in change.....but....I am....buwah hah hah !!!

Have a great week everyone and Happy Hunting !!!

Attachments

• funday (3).jpg
    funday (3).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
The few times a year I do dry sand hunts I get their early as well to beat the rows of aluminum lounge chairs that are being put out.

The few times a year I do dry sand hunts I get their early as well to beat the rows of aluminum lounge chairs that are being put out.

Right ! ? Those things are a pain. Sometimes I like to detect between two of them and swinging the coil back and forth makes me feel like I'm playing Pong.

The wooden ones, though....I don't think they usually put those away overnight.....I was pulling sand out from under a couple of them last week...'cause I got some signals...so...had to do it. That's a pain too....which is why I was pretty excited when they were all gone. There was a Sand Raking truck getting pretty close to me and I am thinking that they moved all the wooden lounges so that the raker truck could get to that area....because there was a lot of trash signals....AND I don't usually do it, but because of time constraints and that damn Raker trucker creeping on me, I passed up a couple of 53's on my AT Pro....so....I could have gotten more pulltabs...and maybe some nickels....I'm sure there was no 10K gold that I passed over......yep.....sure of it.....wouldn't want to think I left something like that out there.

Wow Paulie, I have to say that your passion for the hobby is pretty impressive! I'm not usually much into dry sand hunting but I can certainly relate to your parking experience. Why is it so easy to walk great distances away from your car when detecting but such a chore to walk back? :lol: Sometimes it's not easy to find landmarks in the dark and I too have misjudged where I parked (aka couldn't find my car).

Wow Paulie, I have to say that your passion for the hobby is pretty impressive! I'm not usually much into dry sand hunting but I can certainly relate to your parking experience. Why is it so easy to walk great distances away from your car when detecting but such a chore to walk back? :lol: Sometimes it's not easy to find landmarks in the dark and I too have misjudged where I parked (aka couldn't find my car).

Hey Compass...thanks??? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.....but I will go with not...lol. I do love doing this stuff. I also need a reason to get out of the house. AND if I don't get out on the beach in the mornings, then the day is just going to be work and then dinner....and then watching a sunset maybe. So it's the early morning hours or nothing currently.

Also, I blame all y'all for motivating me as well. This morning, for instance, I was thinking ...man it's early....and there's going to be no one out there...and it's going to be dark and scary...but you know what....somebody from that metal detecting forum site is going to be out this morning somewhere....not letting anything stop them. So....I thought to myself, I can do that too. And so I did. And I had a blast....like I always do.

One day I will find enough to pay for my next detector and I'm shooting for one of those Excaliburs everyone keeps talking about...'cause I'm gonna get in that water....even though I have a phobia (healthy respect??) for the things that live out there.... You know why ? 'Cause one of you yahoos is doing it..and if y'all can do it, I can do it too. So...once again I blame y'all.

The walking toward treasure is always so much easier...the anticipation, the adventure I guess..lol...the story...there's just lots of motivational factors. On the way back there's only one..."man I'm hot...and tired...and running out of time!" I suppose it's like the Ying and Yang of physical exertion....maybe not...whatever. :lol:

Hey Compass...thanks??? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.....but I will go with not...lol. I do love doing this stuff. I also need a reason to get out of the house. AND if I don't get out on the beach in the mornings, then the day is just going to be work and then dinner....and then watching a sunset maybe. So it's the early morning hours or nothing currently.

Also, I blame all y'all for motivating me as well. This morning, for instance, I was thinking ...man it's early....and there's going to be no one out there...and it's going to be dark and scary...but you know what....somebody from that metal detecting forum site is going to be out this morning somewhere....not letting anything stop them. So....I thought to myself, I can do that too. And so I did. And I had a blast....like I always do.

One day I will find enough to pay for my next detector and I'm shooting for one of those Excaliburs everyone keeps talking about...'cause I'm gonna get in that water....even though I have a phobia (healthy respect??) for the things that live out there.... You know why ? 'Cause one of you yahoos is doing it..and if y'all can do it, I can do it too. So...once again I blame y'all.

The walking toward treasure is always so much easier...the anticipation, the adventure I guess..lol...the story...there's just lots of motivational factors. On the way back there's only one..."man I'm hot...and tired...and running out of time!" I suppose it's like the Ying and Yang of physical exertion....maybe not...whatever. :lol:

No sarcasm intended- to me, getting up early to get in a couple of hours of detecting before work is a sign of real dedication or you could just be crazy like some of us. Good luck on your plans to become a water hunter. I don't know about your area but for me, the water and wet sand is where the jewelry will be when the conditions are right.

:laughing:: to the crazy comment...'cause I tthink that could be the case

I think it's the same here where I am. I've found a couple of decent pieces of gold and silver in the dry sand but nothing chunky. And I talked to a couple of old timers I met on the beach as they were going out with their excalibers and titanium handled scoops....and they told me that once I get into the water, I will never want to hunt the dry sand again.....So...I take that as confirmation that that is where it's at. I will get there....maybe I just buy the equipment and then justify it later with all the treasures I find......We'll see how it goes. Christmas is coming....and I do need to think about presents for me.... Maybe I'll just wait until I find enough to pay for 20% of the new machine...I could be okay with that. :0)

:laughing:: to the crazy comment...'cause I tthink that could be the case

I think it's the same here where I am. I've found a couple of decent pieces of gold and silver in the dry sand but nothing chunky. And I talked to a couple of old timers I met on the beach as they were going out with their excalibers and titanium handled scoops....and they told me that once I get into the water, I will never want to hunt the dry sand again.....So...I take that as confirmation that that is where it's at. I will get there....maybe I just buy the equipment and then justify it later with all the treasures I find......We'll see how it goes. Christmas is coming....and I do need to think about presents for me.... Maybe I'll just wait until I find enough to pay for 20% of the new machine...I could be okay with that. :0)
Paulie, You probably know this already but the wet sand and water can be very good at times but not all the time, probably not most of the time either. Many of us are not only looking for fresh drops but things lost years ago and sand movement is often required for those items to get within the reach of metal detectors.
Not only does one need the proper equipment, they also need the knowledge of where, when and how to hunt which usually takes some time and practice to learn. I could add determination and stamina too but it looks like you have those already!
Water and, to a lesser extent, wet sand hunting are hard work but, yes, they help tilt the odds a little more in our favor. A lot of us won't even go detecting unless the conditions sound/look favorable for sand movement and that helps with the chances for success as well. Of course, anyone can get lucky and "accidentally" hit the beach at just the right time to score some treasure but I'm talking about finding the good stuff on a somewhat consistent basis with a few skunks here and there. GL&HH!

Paulie, You probably know this already but the wet sand and water can be very good at times but not all the time, probably not most of the time either.

Compass. Yes, Ive been paying close attention to all y'alls posts. When I do finally get into the water I am expecting a rough learning curve.....but as long as I dont get eaten, it will all be good. I am hoping for the development of a good shark repellent system between now and then and Ive put some good stingray resistant wading boots in my wish list. I will keep perusing this forum for other thoughts about things I may need. Also, as always, my expectations are kept low even though my hopes may soar.

Note:

The umbrella/cabana dude also owns a metal detector.

:lol: I dont think this one does. He is actually not mean. We talk from time to time. He seems to be too busy making money with his umbrellas and cabanas on like a dozen different sections of the beach. Also...doesnt seem to be a patient person. he told me that he had no problem at all with me MDing under the cabanas as long as his morning help was done scanning for above ground treasures....He says that that is part of the perks for them???

You ARE a romantic, StPetePaulie!

No sarcasm intended- to me, getting up early to get in a couple of hours of detecting before work is a sign of real dedication or you could just be crazy like some of us. Good luck on your plans to become a water hunter. I don't know about your area but for me, the water and wet sand is where the jewelry will be when the conditions are right.

This whole business of water and wet sand confuses me. When I hunt something like what you can see in those pictures below, what do I hunt?

Attachments

• IMG_0142s.jpg
    IMG_0142s.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0143s.jpg
    IMG_0143s.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 230

Especially if you have to pee and your parking meter is up in 10 minutes and you don’t think you’ll make it....

It is wet sand. But "wet sand" is a technical term on this forum I think. So let's say it is regular sea sand soaked with water?
Scubacat, Sorry for the confusion. When I say "wet" sand I really mean low spots where the top layers of sand have been washed
away putting good targets within reach of the detector.

You walked too far and i drove too far.

Tuesday I needed some detecting therapy so i went to a beach that i had not been to in a few years.

Drove over 50 miles each direction. Arrived just at low tide and immediately started working the wet sand and some in the water.

I had One target that was not trash. One lousy clad quarter.

So since the heat had been steadily rising and the Humidity was staying above the temps i was getting my ancient backside kicked.

So i worked the dry sand back to my starting point and surrendered. My clothes were so wet that i looked like i had been swimming. Might have helped cool off to have gotten neck deep in the water.

So i drove in excess of 100 miles round trip to come home with some Felix Pennies and $1.80 in Clad.

You walked too far and i drove too far.

Tuesday I needed some detecting therapy so i went to a beach that i had not been to in a few years.

Drove over 50 miles each direction. Arrived just at low tide and immediately started working the wet sand and some in the water.

I had One target that was not trash. One lousy clad quarter.

So since the heat had been steadily rising and the Humidity was staying above the temps i was getting my ancient backside kicked.

So i worked the dry sand back to my starting point and surrendered. My clothes were so wet that i looked like i had been swimming. Might have helped cool off to have gotten neck deep in the water.

So i drove in excess of 100 miles round trip to come home with some Felix Pennies and $1.80 in Clad.

whooo! George that is a pretty rough day. Next time will be great !!!

Back
Top Bottom