• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

maybe I need an XP Deus and not the 800 for this job?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Last year I switched to 100% civil war hunting in the Atlanta areas. Lots of careful and detailed research produce four proven sites and permissions. 2 are on private property with permissions and 2 area on city pars along Peachtree creek which are well known to civil war relic hunters from the 60's, 70's and 80's. So they are considered to be well hunted.

I have had my Nox 800 since March 2018 and consider myself proficient and very comfortable with the 800.

I have been giving a suggestion to try the XP Deus with the HF Elliptical coil to hunt these sites since most of the older BFO detectors using low frequencies have found what they can find and the XP Deus with the HF coil can bring other abilities to the table. I notice quite a few civil war relic hunters use the XP Deus a lot.

So far with the Nox 800 I have only found a flat button and carved 3 ringer. This is hunting the past 12 months about 4-5 hours per week. I feel like I should be doing a little better than I am doing in finding Civil War relics.

Exactly what does the XP Deus bring to this type of hunting that the Nox 800 cannot? Please be as detailed as possible with your advice.

I bought an XP Deus a month ago and I've noticed it can pick out small lead at significant depth. I don't haven't hunted any known civil war sites with it yet but I'm thinking it should be able to spot a three ringer at 12" or more with no problem. Last week I did pull out a musket ball, 50 cal. I believe at around 6" using the 9" round HF coil.

The Xp Deus will pick out targets the equinox cannot. I’ve went over areas With a hf 5x10 Coil on the Deus That I hit hard with the nox. And found a good bit of coins,buttons ,tokens etc that the equinox just couldn’t see. And the targets weren’t more than 6 inches but were heavily masked. Actually the Deus was having a hard time on some of the targets,but it gave enough good audio to let me know to dig.
The audio on the nox is a lot nicer than the Xp,but the Xp is definitely the way to go for superior unmasking abilities with a hf coil.Both good machines,but for relics I’d pick the Deus without thinking about it.

I have never used a Deus but they seem well respected, but like the Nox I think alot might be down to the settings chosen by the user.

I have been using an 800 for several months now and have uncovered many, many pistol balls and lead bullets from .22LR to .577 plus a couple of small cannon ball...These are not from known civil war sites but just detecting various fields many of which are full of iron as well. Some of the lead items have come from more than a spade depth down so decent enough depths.

If the Deus is better than the Nox, it must be exceptional as the Nox seems to be a beast on lead for me..

I use my Deus on older sites that don't have a lot of modern trash. Its a great relic machine no doubt. Not sure if it'll net you any substantial increase in finds vs the Equinox though. The Nox is no slouch for relic hunting by any means. Could just be that you need to try some new sites. You mentioned that those sites are "well hunted". Can't find what isn't there.

Calabash uses an Deus for relic hunting 👍

Calabash uses both the Deus and Nox for relic hunting.....I use the Nox and ORX for relics and gold prospecting. I only use the ORX if there is too much iron for the Nox.

He produced a really good video today just for answering Maxxkatt's question.
Another good answer from Calabash which I totally agree with from experience.

Was out this evening with the Nox on a farm I have hunted over a lot. The area had been mined in the late 1700 / early 1800's but has long since reverted to pasture used mostly for sheep farming..

Initially things were fairly slow with all the old ferrous making life a little difficult, but eventually I had a nice sold 19 signal.

I eventually uncovered this somewhat unusual lead spindle whorl..They are not easy to date as they were in use from Roman times right up to the early 1800''s. This particular type is roughly dated between 1200 to 1500 so I am very very pleased to say the least...it came from about 9" down and I had the Nox In Field 2 with IB set to 3 and Recovery set to 3..

Attachments

• 064ABED6-681D-40A8-988F-AC4AFB540808.jpeg
    064ABED6-681D-40A8-988F-AC4AFB540808.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 267
  • DBC98633-EA0B-4DF1-8D9C-1642617C294B.jpeg
    DBC98633-EA0B-4DF1-8D9C-1642617C294B.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 259
Judge for yourself. Think you may need some better sites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSsUgVEa4GQ

Well as you probably know, good Civil War sites that you can still hunt are not what I would call abundant. So the ones I can hunt, I have to hit hard. A few people here and on TN have indicated will not get a huge difference between the XP Deus and the 800. But they think the HP Deus, running a high frequency elliptical coil could find some stuff since the civil war sites were hit pretty hard in the 70's and 80's older BFO single lower freq machines. The higher freq on the Deus might just do better on the buttons and belt buckles.

Kind of ready for an additional machine. will sell my Vanq 540 (my 800 backup) and spring for the XP Deus with the HF elliptical coil. I know that the XP Deus has a learning curve, but heck, for all the stuff I had to learn to get good with the 800, should pay off on learning the XP Deus. Need a nice diversion away from this Corvid-19 !!!! we are all having to deal with. A new detector always brightens my day, week and month.

Well as you probably know, good Civil War sites that you can still hunt are not what I would call abundant. So the ones I can hunt, I have to hit hard. A few people here and on TN have indicated will not get a huge difference between the XP Deus and the 800. But they think the HP Deus, running a high frequency elliptical coil could find some stuff since the civil war sites were hit pretty hard in the 70's and 80's older BFO single lower freq machines. The higher freq on the Deus might just do better on the buttons and belt buckles.

Kind of ready for an additional machine. will sell my Vanq 540 (my 800 backup) and spring for the XP Deus with the HF elliptical coil. I know that the XP Deus has a learning curve, but heck, for all the stuff I had to learn to get good with the 800, should pay off on learning the XP Deus. Need a nice diversion away from this Corvid-19 !!!! we are all having to deal with. A new detector always brightens my day, week and month.

From what I have read, the HF elliptical coils are what raise the bar on the Deus...Good luck and I look forward to hearing what you think...

Back
Top Bottom