Disgusted.

georgeinsc

Elite Member
Not only is as hot as the rim of hell the humidity is sky high. Then on top of that two of the local beach communities have banned any free parking on Their Islands. Folly Beach was the first. $150.00 fine if you park anywhere that the city or commercial lots are not getting any money.

Now Isle of Palms has decided to do the same thing. No parking anywhere the city is not getting paid. Also the $150.00 dollar fine if you park anywhere that you have not paid to park.

If you can find a space the price starts at 2 dollars an hour.

i went to Sullivans island for 3.5 hours Tuesday. Worked my backside off in the water and then back to where i started on the dry/wet sand for a grand total of 65 cents.

Hardly worth the 60 mile round trip.

Beach pay parking is disgusting. I do everything I can to avoid that. You just never know if the hunt pays for that parking.

That is a shame and that would bother me too if it happened here. Hopefully, it is only a temporary thing and will change back after the pandemic is history.

Sorry to hear George

I feel your pain, One of my best spots they are trying to make the community a special parking district where only residents can park. Thinking about buying a bike and ride in...

Bummer when cities start getting crazy with the parking. When you explore new beaches you often find out the hard way. I know of a beach that has a surfer special for $8, after 10 am it goes up to $45!!!!

There are parts of the UK where you have to pay a yearly fee to park outside your own house. "Residents Parking Scheme".

We have it in our town.

London, I think there are other cities, you have to pay to drive into the city, "Congestion Charge".

...Doug.

I feel your pain, One of my best spots they are trying to make the community a special parking district where only residents can park. Thinking about buying a bike and ride in...

That is the way our beaches are now.. went into effect with Covid... before that it cost upwards of $75 a day if you didn't have a beach sticker... I can't even hunt other towns now without the risk of a $75 ticket and a tow job. I'm waiting for off season when all this is moot point

How far would it be for free parking? a bicycle or little electric scooter might be the way to go. I take a scooter hunting fairly often, just because parking is at the other end of the park from where I want to hunt.

”Temporary?” Not. They’re broke.
My thinking here is that it may have been done to help keep tourists off the beaches during the pandemic but if it hurts local businesses they may pressure the city to restore the free parking after the pandemic is over. I guess it depends on whether or not people are willing to pay to park. I wouldn't.

at my little beach if I get there before 6am and park until 07:59 am, it's only 35 cents. After that it is 3.50 and hour. I can get a parking pass for the state park beaches for less than 100.00...good for a year at any of the three state park beaches in the area. The prices you guys are talking about would definitely have me considering bicycling from the closest free parking spot. I would have to get a headlight for my bicycle though....and maybe a bell.

Sounds like you need to reach the beach via a boat maybe?! Find an old crappy fishing boat and drop anchor 20 feet from shore.

Sounds like you need to reach the beach via a boat maybe?! Find an old crappy fishing boat and drop anchor 20 feet from shore.
I've got both a jet ski and boat...As much as I love them and they will put you right on the spot where no one can say a word. It's just a pain in the butt preparing. Everything from the weather.....to the get to the ramp and unloading.
It is so much easier to ride to the beach, park and walk out and hunt.
Walk back to the car and leave. Going in by water is a great option just in case it's needed.

My thinking here is that it may have been done to help keep tourists off the beaches during the pandemic but if it hurts local businesses they may pressure the city to restore the free parking after the pandemic is over. I guess it depends on whether or not people are willing to pay to park. I wouldn't.
That makes sense.

How far would it be for free parking? a bicycle or little electric scooter might be the way to go. I take a scooter hunting fairly often, just because parking is at the other end of the park from where I want to hunt.

Over 60 miles round trip. By the time i drive there, pay to park and find a few coins it is not worth the effort.

George,
Folly Beach County Park is open from 8:00 AM until sunset. Maybe they don't chain it off so you could go before or after those hours, pulling into the parking loop and walking onto the beach. It would make for a hard day trip, but for a weekend trip it might be fun. I might scout this myself for my own information. In my experience, once the gate attendant leaves for the day, at many parks you can come and go freely. I notice that they advertise annual passes (Gold Passes) and $55 for seniors 60+. I would qualify, but it would take a number of gold rings to justify that outlay. The park is open year round except for a few fall/winter holidays.
A number of beach MDers on this forum are into night activity. It might be cooler then anyway. You're right, it has been hot and humid lately and I come in from backyard digging soaked after two hours.
There are a number of places I'd like to hit around here, for metal detecting, archaeology and shark tooth hunting, but I need to rent a boat. So far, I haven't found any for rental. Not even a little open skiff or john boat that I could put a small outboard on. The South end of Folly Beach isn't part of the County Park. A person could land there and metal detect the main swimming area.
There are a number of nice looking beach stretches on islands, only accessible by boat, that aren't in a park of some sort. With a possible hurricane inbound, the beach profiles might get some sculpting and present opportunities.

Another possibility to see if it's worthwhile are beach cameras. Rather than driving all the way down there for poor conditions. Don't know if they have them there but it is a staple in my arsenal.

The way i read the new law there is No free parking down close to the park. Plus i have never found anything on that section of the beach. Even had one of the beach employees ask me why i had a metal detector in the park. I asked him what is the problem? He was just being an AZ.

I refuse to put money in the coffers of a town that does not want me on their beach spending my with the businesses on the island.

George,
Folly Beach County Park is open from 8:00 AM until sunset. Maybe they don't chain it off so you could go before or after those hours, pulling into the parking loop and walking onto the beach. It would make for a hard day trip, but for a weekend trip it might be fun. I might scout this myself for my own information. In my experience, once the gate attendant leaves for the day, at many parks you can come and go freely. I notice that they advertise annual passes (Gold Passes) and $55 for seniors 60+. I would qualify, but it would take a number of gold rings to justify that outlay. The park is open year round except for a few fall/winter holidays.
A number of beach MDers on this forum are into night activity. It might be cooler then anyway. You're right, it has been hot and humid lately and I come in from backyard digging soaked after two hours.
There are a number of places I'd like to hit around here, for metal detecting, archaeology and shark tooth hunting, but I need to rent a boat. So far, I haven't found any for rental. Not even a little open skiff or john boat that I could put a small outboard on. The South end of Folly Beach isn't part of the County Park. A person could land there and metal detect the main swimming area.
There are a number of nice looking beach stretches on islands, only accessible by boat, that aren't in a park of some sort. With a possible hurricane inbound, the beach profiles might get some sculpting and present opportunities.

Back
Top Bottom