A walk in the park....

Diabolik

Elite Member
I was off today so after running some errands I decided to try my luck at a local park in our township I have not hunted before. It is mostly sports fields now but for years was the site of an annual fair. I started hunting along some of the walkways and around the bleachers at one of the fields. Really started to find more coins in a wooded area that used to have a large picnic area in it which was nice as it was shaded and gave me some relief from the heat. Pretty much found coins everywhere I hunted which was really nice. I even snagged a last quarter on my way back to the truck just swinging randomly along the grass right away between the fields. There are still plenty of areas to hunt so I’m eager to go back. Oldest find today was a 1942 wheat, but it was a lot of fun and a really nice way to spend the day. Park was pretty much empty which was a bonus.

Last picture was something interesting and probably not to common to find I would think? It was two dimes stuck right on top of one another in the hole. Figure that can’t happen that often.

Attachments

• 5505749E-1997-4C12-B5D8-96057527441D.jpg
    5505749E-1997-4C12-B5D8-96057527441D.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 450
  • 9FE8B0FE-B8EA-4A0E-9699-E692C43C0A14.jpg
    9FE8B0FE-B8EA-4A0E-9699-E692C43C0A14.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 0C05827A-980A-49A0-97CD-7D48BFECA6BD.jpg
    0C05827A-980A-49A0-97CD-7D48BFECA6BD.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 445
What a neat hunt! Those rare locations that seem to be just loaded with coins are fun to detect. :waytogo:

D glad to see you got out. Congrats on the wheat and clad.Also the twofer. Sounds like you just scratched the surface, probably lots of good older targets a little deeper. Good luck. Mark

Nice hunt and good report. Love it when a dig produces stacked coins or loose spill; just multiple coins...except when they're all modern pennies, and there's just enough to waste your time and energy.
That park sounds "juicy"! Look forward to your future finds from there...

D glad to see you got out. Congrats on the wheat and clad.Also the twofer. Sounds like you just scratched the surface, probably lots of good older targets a little deeper. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark,

It was hot, but when the coins keep showing up, it's hard to go home. Yes, I did see some deeper targets but did not dig any yesterday. I will go back to them once I clear up some of the shallow stuff. I actually only dug about half of that trash. The rest of it was surface trash I picked up along the way. Found same pull tabs but no bottle caps amazingly.

Nice hunt and good report. Love it when a dig produces stacked coins or loose spill; just multiple coins...except when they're all modern pennies, and there's just enough to waste your time and energy.
That park sounds "juicy"! Look forward to your future finds from there...

Thanks,

Right now parks are about my only option. Everywhere else is just to grown in right now. I can cherry pick coins all day. I'll take all of it (including the handful of shield pennies I found yesterday) I'm still learning the Simplex but it is getting better. Most times I can call whether or not I've got a coin or trash before I dig. Every outing is a learning experience.

I plan on picking up a new 9.5" x 5" coil for the Simplex as soon as they are available so I am very eager to see how it works in these park settings.

With all that coinage so abundant, it seems you may have come across either a location that by silver hunters is considered picked clean, or a site where there is so much near surface clad that it has never been surface cleaned to find those deeper older coins! Either way, more power to you...and if you are working with a machine you are learning, then its a great opportunity to learn and get those goodies! Please keep us posted!:yes::yes::yes:

Some nice finds there! When I hunt a new park, I like to survey the area and consider where people would like to hang out. It there's a spot with a lot of trees for shade, I'll start there first. Hasn't let me down yet...still waiting for silver though! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom