14K made someone's day

Foragist

Forum Supporter
So I was doing a little curbstrip hunting today, and a guy across the street was curious, so I went over there, answered his questions, showed him my finds, and got permission to hunt his yard. He was asking all about the detector, the sounds, the pinpointer, etc. as he watched every dig. First target was a big winder key, and he really liked that, so I asked if he wanted to keep it. He did, so I asked if I get to keep any coins I find, and he was fine with that. Pennies were all the coins I found. Maybe three were wheats. Near the back door, as him and a lady friend of his were watching, I dug a solid 8 signal, and it was a shiny 14K white gold wedding band ring! I handed to him, and they both checked it out. It says "Beloved 14K" inside. Then there was an awkward silence. I opened my dumb mouth and said "I'd like to keep it, but this is your property."(referring to the yard; not the ring) He replied that he wanted to keep it, (even though he had no idea who it came from). That was that. A few more minutes, and 2 more wheat pennies for me, and I had enough. I asked to get a photo of it. He took a photo and texted it to me.
The rest of my hunting wasn't too bad. Merc, Rosy, Oklahoma tax check token, several wheats, and some clad.
Sorry for the long post, but this was the only gold I've dug this year, and the first time I had to hand over something to a homeowner. He sure was happy, though!

Attachments

• DSCN2888 (2).jpg
    DSCN2888 (2).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN2891.jpg
    DSCN2891.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Resized_20200715_143550.jpg
    Resized_20200715_143550.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 540
I have had a few hunts where people were big on hovering – I was not a fan. This sounds much worse. It would be one thing if they had lost it, but since he was just an opportunist – absolute bummer.

Wow... You are a super duper nice guy. You can hunt my house anytime you want.

well you made him happy! it was not the crown jewels but gold anyway. i have done similar. at least it was not a 20 gram Tiffany!

good will come back in your favor-- trust me!

Sorry to hear that. I know it is his land - but if not his relative's ring ??? and he never knew it was there.. I will have to take your experience and think about it and decide what I would do if something like that happens to me. It is one thing if they say they lost a ring or if there are identifiable marks on it (like a class ring) that I would turn over no issues. But this one hurts - like you said first gold this year. If I lived near a beach and found rings like some guys on this site do, it wouldn't be such a downer.. Good luck and hope you find something better soon.

Sorry to hear that. I know it is his land - but if not his relative's ring ??? and he never knew it was there.. I will have to take your experience and think about it and decide what I would do if something like that happens to me. It is one thing if they say they lost a ring or if there are identifiable marks on it (like a class ring) that I would turn over no issues. But this one hurts - like you said first gold this year. If I lived near a beach and found rings like some guys on this site do, it wouldn't be such a downer.. Good luck and hope you find something better soon.
It is their property and everything on it belongs to them. When you get permission to hunt it you need to determine who gets the spoils. Personally, if they want it, it is theirs. They could have said NO in the first place.

Besides, when they tell that story to others it could result in some other permissions.

Cliff

Couldn't you ask in your initial permission "have you lost anything of importance?". This would take care of it no ? There were other posts regarding this awile back. Otherwise , why even hunt if all your going to do is clean someone's yard and give them pick of the litter ?

Awe man that bites. But nice recovery Foragist. I don't dig many 8 signals.Congrats on the shiny, wheats & token. That key was also sweet, that had to hurt. I have had people follow me around, it doesn't take long for me to pull the plug, make some excuse and tell them I'll be back later. In the initial permission conversation I politely let them know I have a lot of time & money tied up in my hobby and unless a family heirloom I generally keep what I find. I also ask if they lost any jewelry, explain how most are mid conductors and I mainly target the high conductors but would be happy to look for any lost jewelry. This hopefully avoids an awkward situation like the one you just had. I feel your pain. Technically it his property but it still sucks. And hopefully you being a gentleman about it will come back to you with some good karma. Good luck, Mark

Wow... sorry to hear of that situation. I agree with a few above, I don't really care for someone hovering over every target I located and recover, just makes it a bit awkward.

Couldn't you ask in your initial permission "have you lost anything of importance?". This would take care of it no ? There were other posts regarding this awile back. Otherwise , why even hunt if all your going to do is clean someone's yard and give them pick of the litter ?

Why should the property owner give permission if he isn't going to get anything out of it? What's in it for him? He has to worry about you getting hurt and suing him. There are two sides of this. Both have to decide if it is worth it for them.

Cliff

I have had a few hunts where people were big on hovering – I was not a fan. This sounds much worse. It would be one thing if they had lost it, but since he was just an opportunist – absolute bummer.

Wow... You are a super duper nice guy. You can hunt my house anytime you want.

The key looks like there one I have for an antique mantle clock.

Cliff

well you made him happy! it was not the crown jewels but gold anyway. i have done similar. at least it was not a 20 gram Tiffany!

good will come back in your favor-- trust me!

It is their property and everything on it belongs to them. When you get permission to hunt it you need to determine who gets the spoils. Personally, if they want it, it is theirs. They could have said NO in the first place.

Besides, when they tell that story to others it could result in some other permissions.

Cliff

Yeah, I really should make it clear before getting started, that if I'm going to detect, I keep the finds...unless, of course, they can describe any lost items before I find them. I did ask this guy if he knows of any lost jewelry, keys, etc. before I started. At first he said no, but shortly after I started, he said(vaguely) his mother lost a ring; "might have been" in his yard. When I handed him the ring I dug, I also asked if this was his mother's or someone he knows, and he just shook his head "no", looking puzzled as to how it got there. I agree with Cliff that it is his property, so he had the right, but honestly, I didn't expect him to keep it. I thought he should have let me have it. I didn't even think to try to work out a split somehow. However, I do not let myself greed over another in this type of situation. Different circumstances, different views of course, but I am OK with this, and glad to have shown him some generosity. What comes around goes around. I am also happy to at least "count" one gold ring (so far) this year. :D
...and thanks for offer KOB. I will have a contract written up before I come over. :lol:

Interesting approaches on how to go about it as I am still learning. But I see it being difficult from anyone allowing you to dig up their yard. Even though one might guarantee they will leave it as if they had never been there. Yes , I would still count that ring as your 1st gold of the year and something good will come of it.

Cliff

Why should the property owner give permission if he isn't going to get anything out of it? What's in it for him? He has to worry about you getting hurt and suing him. There are two sides of this. Both have to decide if it is worth it for them.

Cliff

Cliff, respectfully, you look like we come from the same generation, you look a man in the eye with a firm hand shake you come to terms on the deal. We are all accountable for our own actions, if I get hurt its my own damn dumb fault for not paying attention. If someone is worried about getting sued I don't think I want to hunt their property. That has become a twisted mind set in this country where people hold others accountable for their own actions. As far as the spoils of the hunt, if they are so interested why didn't they hunt it. Poaching finds sounds to me like someone else is letting you do all the work. As I have stated before it should be decided before the hunt, I have way too much time and pulltabs to give up my finds. I have walked on a few juicy looking permissions for that reason. Most owners tell me to keep what I find but show them, they are curious to see what their yard gives up. And if I find multiple coins or something that dates their house I will offer it to them. All that said I wish I could get a private permission to hunt, nobody wants you in their yard right now, heck they won't even answer doors up here. Take care Mark

He was hunting on the premise that he could keep any coins, and had a hovering property owner. Therefore, everything other than coins was in limbo. If that wasn't enough clarification, then nobody had a gun to their head to keep going. Either quit, or further clarify what will happen if the proverbial treasure chest is found, or do what many of us would do: the same as what Foragist did. Keep it friendly, be happy to have a chance to find some coins, and roll the dice. On this particular roll, the dice came up in a way that favored the property owner. It just as easily could have worked out the other way.

It's a risk we take every time we work out just enough details to get a permission, often assuming the owner's silence is the same as disinterest in the finds. That's a pretty reasonable assumption when it's some far off property where the owner isn't even going to be present. It's also reasonable to expect property owners to put on their big boy/girl pants and speak up beforehand if they want to see the finds. But that doesn't always happen, so it's somewhat dicey to hunt on the assumption of the owner's disinterest when they're home, and it's definitely a risky assumption when the property owner is playing prison yard guard.

When it backfires, remind yourself of all the times leaving things a bit unclear worked out in your favor and the owner's silence didn't actually mean they weren't interested in the finds.

Last edited:
Cliff, respectfully, you look like we come from the same generation, you look a man in the eye with a firm hand shake you come to terms on the deal. We are all accountable for our own actions, if I get hurt its my own damn dumb fault for not paying attention. If someone is worried about getting sued I don't think I want to hunt their property. That has become a twisted mind set in this country where people hold others accountable for their own actions. As far as the spoils of the hunt, if they are so interested why didn't they hunt it. Poaching finds sounds to me like someone else is letting you do all the work. As I have stated before it should be decided before the hunt, I have way too much time and pulltabs to give up my finds. I have walked on a few juicy looking permissions for that reason. Most owners tell me to keep what I find but show them, they are curious to see what their yard gives up. And if I find multiple coins or something that dates their house I will offer it to them. All that said I wish I could get a private permission to hunt, nobody wants you in their yard right now, heck they won't even answer doors up here. Take care Mark

We may well be from the same generation. I personally would never sue anyone unless they intentionally hurt me in some way but we are in the minority these days. Too many people looking for a reason. Property owners are rightly concerned.

If they give permission to hunt their property it is important to discuss who gets what. Until they give up the right of ownership everything on that property belongs to them legally. Until you get that "handshake" that hasn't changed. If they say they can take what they want you have the choice to hunt or not. Just move on to the next one. As for if they should hunt on their own, many people wouldn't know where to start or have the desire to do so. That is their choice. Whatever is on the property is still theirs.

Cliff

Interesting approaches on how to go about it as I am still learning. But I see it being difficult from anyone allowing you to dig up their yard. Even though one might guarantee they will leave it as if they had never been there. Yes , I would still count that ring as your 1st gold of the year and something good will come of it.
Thank you. It's all good! :D

He was hunting on the premise that he could keep any coins, and had a hovering property owner. Therefore, everything other than coins was in limbo. If that wasn't enough clarification, then nobody had a gun to their head to keep going. Either quit, or further clarify what will happen if the proverbial treasure chest is found, or do what many of us would do: the same as what Foragist did. Keep it friendly, be happy to have a chance to find some coins, and roll the dice. On this particular roll, the dice came up in a way that favored the property owner. It just as easily could have worked out the other way.

It's a risk we take every time we work out just enough details to get a permission, often assuming the owner's silence is the same as disinterest in the finds. That's a pretty reasonable assumption when it's some far off property where the owner isn't even going to be present. It's also reasonable to expect people to put on their big boy/girl pants and speak up if they want to see the finds. Regardless, it's a somewhat dicey assumption when the property owner is home, and it's a risky assumption when the property owner is playing prison yard guard.

When it backfires, remind yourself of all the times leaving things a bit unclear worked out in your favor and the owner's silence didn't actually mean they weren't interested in the finds.
Very well said points, Soldier. Thank you.

Nice hunt and finds. Congrats on finding some silver and gold. Too bad you had to give it to the owner. That tax token is like the one I found but mine was aluminum, cool.

Good job on the finds and being a good sport about it. Not worth being upset... Not like you had it before the hunt and he took it from you.

I try and assume a home owner will want everything I find and I make it clear up front I'll share it with them. I just want to be out detecting on an old property most of all. Usually they say keep whatever you find unless it's gold and I laugh and say it's a deal, knowing I'm not likely to find any gold anyway.

If I do find interesting relics or anything I offer to take it home, do the research on it, and return it later if they would like. They are usually thankful for the offer but say no that's ok.

I don't know, I suppose every situation is different and I just feel them out. Last thing I want to do is take advantage of them for their yard and I try and give them some kind of benefit for letting me enjoy my hobby on their property. Sometimes it's a 6 pack.

Cheers.

So I was doing a little curbstrip hunting today, and a guy across the street was curious, so I went over there, answered his questions, showed him my finds, and got permission to hunt his yard. He was asking all about the detector, the sounds, the pinpointer, etc. as he watched every dig. First target was a big winder key, and he really liked that, so I asked if he wanted to keep it. He did, so I asked if I get to keep any coins I find, and he was fine with that. Pennies were all the coins I found. Maybe three were wheats. Near the back door, as him and a lady friend of his were watching, I dug a solid 8 signal, and it was a shiny 14K white gold wedding band ring! I handed to him, and they both checked it out. It says "Beloved 14K" inside. Then there was an awkward silence. I opened my dumb mouth and said "I'd like to keep it, but this is your property."(referring to the yard; not the ring) He replied that he wanted to keep it, (even though he had no idea who it came from). That was that. A few more minutes, and 2 more wheat pennies for me, and I had enough. I asked to get a photo of it. He took a photo and texted it to me.
The rest of my hunting wasn't too bad. Merc, Rosy, Oklahoma tax check token, several wheats, and some clad.
Sorry for the long post, but this was the only gold I've dug this year, and the first time I had to hand over something to a homeowner. He sure was happy, though!

Very nice finds. Awesome on you for your ethics.

I'm taking something a little different away from your encounter. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried something such as this?

You came to a very murky agreement beforehand about who gets to keep the spoils of your hunt. Great giving him the 'skeleton' key. The coins you agreed on. There's so many other things that could have been addressed in your pre-hunt agreement that oftentimes I'd guess it would scare a homeowner off if you began listing the 'I get this, you get this, we split this' spoils. A blanket agreement of, 'since you get the key, can I keep whatever else I find?' could go a long way to settling the confusion or awkward moment at the end of the hunt.

Here's my question. Has anyone here maybe printed up some business cards with your name, contact info and just a short spiel about what you do as far as metal detecting? Using this card to give to the homeowner that took possession of the ring to give your number to someone he's invariably going to tell this story to, to let them get in touch with you to permit you to hunt their property. That new contact you might be able to negotiate a better split of the spoils.

In other words, learn from this experience to fine tune your pre-hunt negotiation and promote your contact list from the goodwill of this hunt.

Back
Top Bottom