Some Kindness Pays off - First hunt in two weeks

Call Me V

I've taken a second job this summer on top of the job at the greenhouse. I'm now teaching ballet to the level 1 and 2 classes at the dance studio. But it means my free time is reduced. But I had today off and decided to go hit a park I've never hunted to see what came up. Unfortunately, after 90 minutes of hunting I had nothing but modern stuff without even a hint of anything older. So I packed up my Nox and decided to head home.

As I was loading up I noticed an elderly lady across the street struggling to put on a new set of wiper blades (she said the auto part store wanted $10 to install them). So I went over to see if I could help. Ten minutes later the two of us figured out how they worked and got them changed out.

I tend to be a shy person and can't come up with the courage to door knock to ask permission to hunt a yard. But I braved it with her and asked. Her house was built in 1926 and she told me to have fun.

Three hours later I had 82 clad coins, 7 wheaties, a buffalo nickel, a silver Rosie, a Mercury, a small silver ring, and my first Eisenhower dollar (1977). I also got a couple of fishing weights, an old looking marble, and a Tootsie toy dragster. Unfortunately it came up in two pieces.

That yard was loaded with stuff. The crazy thing is that except for the Mercury everything I found was detectable by my pinpointer from the surface. Even that old buffalo nickel was only two inches down.

I thought it was a great hunt. But then the lady comes out of her house with an old coin purse and told me that she had a bunch of coins her sister had collected and she didn't want them any longer. And so she gave them to me! I haven't been through them in detail, but there is some silver in them and two British large One Penny coins from 1919 and 1934.

What a day!

Attachments

• IMG_2291.jpg
    IMG_2291.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2292.jpg
    IMG_2292.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_2293.jpg
    IMG_2293.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 354
Very nice finds "V" - those private yards can be real good spots and am delighted yours was one of those! Neat coins that the lady gave you, I can see a few silvers there for sure!

I've always emphasized to my kids that kindness will be rewarded. Glad you were rewarded for yours.

Being nice for the sake of being nice pays off. Good for you! Well deserved reward for helping someone in need.

Cheers,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom