Found a tough token yesterday

CanSlawCartoons

The weather here in N. TX was pretty nice this weekend. Mid 50s but windy.

While working on a ghost town permission on Sunday, my partner and I hit another town that has some old neighborhoods dating back to the 1800s.

As I was working a piece of land by a creek that appeared to have been an old dump, I hit a deep mid 30s tone on the 'Nox.
The tone was pretty solid and loud for being that deep. Being next to the creek, the soil was sticky mud. At about 6-7" down, out popped a muddy metal disc. A quick wipe revealed lettering.

As I had recently replied in another thread, I'd rather find a token than a silver coin any day.
Well, I scored a token!

The token is silver dollar sized and is from a dry goods store called "The Famous." It was located in a panhandle town called Wellington. It dates from 1902 to about 1918 from my research.
I love their motto: "A good store in a good town."

When I went to the Token Catalog, there was an entry but no image. It was listed as "rare town." I got to add the first images of this token to the catalog.

This is my second Texas token this year I've been fortunate enough to add to the catalog!

I wish my partner had found a token too as he loves them as much as I do. But he did land a sweet silvered buckle.
32f869d12e886a07c3e2bdcb32210328.jpg
326299b44f157352214e3e7f17ab7a6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom