Grinding it out with different settings, silver reward

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
At this point in the year all I can do is get out at the last minute when the weather is good, it's not already dark, and nothing else is going on with work or around the house. It's hard to plan anything. I had two hours on Sunday afternoon and I went to a spot that has produced plenty of goodies, but the easy, obvious signals are long gone. It's a good spot to test out different settings, techniques, etc...

On a previous hunt at a different permission I started working on a custom program with the Equinox 800 and at the end of the hunt it was really clicking with my ears. I worked with it some more at home. The plan was to use that setup on my hunt to go over a few small fairly trashy areas near previous hot spots, move around some of the mid-tone to low zinc (17-19) targets, and not be afraid of digging out pull tabs and rusty nails.

After a couple hours I had some wheats, deepish older clad, some odds and ends, and after removing a few old rusty nails I got onto another deep, small copper penny or clad dime signal. I could only hit it from one angle of approach. I cranked up the iron bias and the signal held together. Not bad. That signal ended up being a 6"+ wheat.

I filled the hole after clearing out a few pieces of junk, and half a foot away teased a nearly identical signal out of another small, but consistent, high tone blip. Another wheat. I put the hole back together after clearing out more junk, and another step away found another little blip, except this one was hitting low 30s in both directions. Only from one angle of approach.

I rarely take video of a recovery, and stopped for a moment to consider it. I was pretty sure it was silver, unlike all the other times I'm pretty sure and it turns out to be a nail or wheat penny. Instead, I got busy using the Lesche shovel to remove a 6" plug. The pinpointer indicated the target was still a couple of inches in the bottom of the hole and coin sized. I cut a plug within that hole, scooped it out, and the flash of silver was in the bottom.

I just assumed it was a Merc or Rosie, and was more than OK with that. I gave the ground a few celebratory slaps, took a photo, and finally noticed a portion of "ONE DIME" on the reverse. 1907 Barber. Not the oldest coin I've dug from this property, but it is the oldest silver. #36 for the year.

It goes to show how some spots can keep giving up coins even after being pounded to death. Every time a target is removed it's possible you've opened up another target worth digging, and a good target might only be "visible" from a limited angle of approach and perhaps only with specific settings. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_164415607.jpg
    IMG_20191124_164415607.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20191124_164446292.jpg
    IMG_20191124_164446292.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Sweet save, congrats on the Barber. And I hear ya, I always remove the trash and many times it gave way to a good signal below or around the trash. More than once it paid off with silver. Getting dark early and weather does put a damper on us this time of year. Good luck. Mark

Nice recovery on that Barber dime, TS, and excellent report on the value of changing setting, technique, and tactics!

Days sure are getting short...I’m just glad it’s warmed up enough to get a few more hunts in before the end of the season :cool:

Sweet finds , picture and commentary . Certainly not the best time of the year for getting in as much hunting as we would like (and you gave some perfect examples why ) . A nice reward for your perseverance there .Congrats !

Congrats on the Barber dime, ToySoldier! :woot:

Sweet save, congrats on the Barber........Mark

Nice recovery on that Barber dime, TS, …..

Sweet finds , picture and commentary...….

Thanks for the encouragement and nice find. Congrats!

Thanks for the replies! I had an hour this evening after work and chores to get to a nearby park before sundown. There's a spot where a few houses used to stand where I've found a few silver coins. I tried the same set up as yesterday's hunt (at a different site and also where a house used to stand) but didn't like it much at this site where there is a higher concentration of iron. Still, the nickels were slamming and I was able to dig a 1943-D war nickel. Whoo!

Last edited:
Some pretty nice information your sharing Soldier. Congrats on the Barber and the War Nickel along with the Wheat's. Having time is a thing this time of year for most so when its available you just have to take advantage of it. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom