• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Great Night Hunt. Tried Different Settings. Seated Dime.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I haven't got out much lately. Last night I had some free time and braved the cold at an old site that has produced for me in the past. The hunt did not disappoint! Pair of Barber Dimes, Indain Head Penny, early teens wheats.... and my second Seated Dime ever! It was really dark, I had assumed it was a slick Barber, but when I got back to the car and spit on it, realized I had a Seated. That was fun! Brings my yearly silver coin count to 119.

For those that are interested, I tried something new on my 800 with great results. In the past, I have always ran my Equinox in Park 1, 50 tones, wide open. I like to hear what's going on in the ground, but this site has so much old iron in it, all the signals start to annoy. Wears me out. Here is what I did last night:

Park 1
50 Tones
Speed 5
FE 2

I notched out the numbers from -9 to 16, with the exception of 11,12,13. (I like old nickels too)

I usually don't like running with so much notched out, but this time I turned up the threshold volume to an audible constant hum. Anytime I went over a target that was notched out, the threshold would nullify. I would slow down considerably in the iron infested areas and listen for deep, subtle, high tones. It worked great. Sniffed out these silvers from areas with a lot of iron AND didn't have to listen to all the noise.

Thought this approach may be helpful to someone. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20191123_121705-600x800.jpg
    20191123_121705-600x800.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 511
  • 20191123_121725-600x800.jpg
    20191123_121725-600x800.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 20191123_121736-600x800.jpg
    20191123_121736-600x800.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 20191123_121744-600x800.jpg
    20191123_121744-600x800.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 20191123_121750-600x800.jpg
    20191123_121750-600x800.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 505
Very nice finds, congrats on the Barbers and the Seated! Don't use the Nox but my buddies do and will pass that info on to them, thank you!

Congrats on a great night hunt ! As Tom would say " so peaceful , so serene " . Unfortunately not in my neighborhood LOL . As far as spitting on a coin , no way , with my luck it would spit back . Thanks for the Nox hints as I can use all the hints I can get .
Best of luck to you on your future hunts . Great pictures !

Nice finds and nice write up. Congrats!

I appreciate your settings comments.

Congrats on the finds!

Ill have to give that program a go too. Theres one place in particular that I think it will come in handy. Thanks!

I guess this is the 2nd thing you got right ! I have been using this method for awile now. Others on here have said it shouldn't make a difference. But we know otherwise. Threshold and slower sweep speed is the key. But I only use the 2 and 5 tones. Why do you do the 50 this way ? Isn't that too busy ?

I guess this is the 2nd thing you got right ! I have been using this method for awile now. Others on here have said it shouldn't make a difference. But we know otherwise. Threshold and slower sweep speed is the key. But I only use the 2 and 5 tones. Why do you do the 50 this way ? Isn't that too busy ?

Thanks! It actually seems so much less busy than what I am used to, with the 50 tones all opened up. I like a lot of feedback information. This site in particular, just has so much iron, I became tired of the iron tones. By notching them out and using the constant threshold and listening to the nulls, I'm able to monitor the iron infested areas without the tiresome tones. I've just grown accustomed to the 50 tones sound. To my ear, it gives me more target information. In this scenario, at this site, using the 5 tones probably would work just the same. (Other than I like the 50 tones sound) I like to be able to tell the difference between a Indian head penny and a silver dime (even though I'm digging both). I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you know I'm just pulling your chain. Anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person kinda deserves it. :D

Thanks! It actually seems so much less busy than what I am used to, with the 50 tones all opened up. I like a lot of feedback information. This site in particular, just has so much iron, I became tired of the iron tones. By notching them out and using the constant threshold and listening to the nulls, I'm able to monitor the iron infested areas without the tiresome tones. I've just grown accustomed to the 50 tones sound. To my ear, it gives me more target information. In this scenario, at this site, using the 5 tones probably would work just the same. (Other than I like the 50 tones sound) I like to be able to tell the difference between a Indian head penny and a silver dime (even though I'm digging both). I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I hope you know I'm just pulling your chain. Anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd person kinda deserves it. :D
Yeah , I know !!! Nobody here talks crazy and stupid in the 3rd person , it's so myopic. So when I'm in the mood , I throw that bs out there. Just to be silly...
Ok , serious now... I can understand the personal preference of 50 tones. It's not for me. But don't you use the horseshoe disc ? Gets that iron out. I like to hear everything , including iron. But when its extreme iron , I disc all of it out. But I also don't use the 6" coil.

Yeah , I know !!! Nobody here talks crazy and stupid in the 3rd person , it's so myopic. So when I'm in the mood , I throw that bs out there. Just to be silly...
Ok , serious now... I can understand the personal preference of 50 tones. It's not for me. But don't you use the horseshoe disc ? Gets that iron out. I like to hear everything , including iron. But when its extreme iron , I disc all of it out. But I also don't use the 6" coil.

I do use the horseshoe button to disc, but this site has tons of the 0 to 16 signals too, for some reason. I've been running the stock coil at this place and have actually been contemplating the 15 inch in the future. Its starting to freeze here. Based on its history, and the targets I've pulled from it, I'm confident there has to be a few gold coins to be found there. I'll have all winter to consider my approach to this site.

I do use the horseshoe button to disc, but this site has tons of the 0 to 16 signals too, for some reason. I've been running the stock coil at this place and have actually been contemplating the 15 inch in the future. Its starting to freeze here. Based on its history, and the targets I've pulled from it, I'm confident there has to be a few gold coins to be found there. I'll have all winter to consider my approach to this site.

I don't know how large this site is but when I use the 15 in for a heavy trash site , its fruitless. It picks up way to many targets under the coil. Sounds like it's to much to clean out 1st. Then listen for the gold. Good luck anyway.

You got on some old grounds there Tyler. Putting some fine toppings on a great season with the Barber's, the Seated and a very nice looking Indian. Big congrats! Trapper

Nice work, and nice digs! I run my 800 with 50 tones, use the horseshoe button, usually rejecting iron, but haven't really tried any notching yet. I also have not yet played with the threshold settings at all. I've been meaning to try it, because A) I learned how to detect with WHite's machines that always had a threshold hum going, and B) I believe it can be an advantage.
Your post is giving me good reason to start pushing buttons and try some different things.

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing your settings. I run a CTX but might try something similar next time I'm in a setting like that.

Congrats, Tyler, on the silver dimes, Indian head penny, & wheat cents! Both of those Barbers look to have some pretty nice detail. :yes: That was a fantastic hunt!

481 wheaties... :wow: ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom