When the ground is tough

Fortunately we haven't been having that problem here, if anything the rain is a little too frequent and cuts into my hunting time a little, but can't complain, rather have that than the hard ground, which we've had summers like that occasionally in the past.

Anyhow some suggestions might be: if you are near a sandy beach, also if there are any totlots that use sand or wood chips, some might suggest hunting in the forest but you would need to be very careful to watch out for snakes. I wonder if the ground might be better under random large stand alone tress that shade the ground from being baked in the sun all day ?

Living in heavily populated San Jose, its tough to find alternative sites to hunt when the ground is so hard and dry. I've pretty much limited my MD'ing to beaches and the occasional park where they water the grass.

Either the woods, a creek, or I like to hit the gravelly, grassy parking areas around the parks with a screwdriver and hammer. Of course there are always tot lot chips that need kicking.

I personally still hunt local parks and yet I don't dig deeper than 6 and less signals. Sure, the ground doesn't look as pretty when I leave it. I figure two things. My parks are not glorious in ground keeping, never has been. Two, the skunks, armadillos and other animals do far more obvious damage. Playgrounds at the public school are in my target area. With this virus shutdown, who cares about an elementary school? JMPO

With this virus shutdown, who cares about an elementary school? JMPO

10-4 the school totlots around my neck of the woods are deader than dead * with the exception of the ones surrounding houses with kids using them during their time off. Those remote schools where kids are all bussed in are d-e-a-d.

Also I agree about the totlot animal damage. Squirrels seem to be digging more than usual this summer, and also the moles (including my yard!) :mad:

I've been hitting the curb strips. Usually soft dirt from rain drainage.. Out in the fields is bone dry here in CT..

Back
Top Bottom