I want to buy a land metal detector

I know you can get a used 705 for about 400 bucks I have seen them that cheap around here and other forums ...ony issue is how long will it be to see another one at that price. Noise cancellation is fantastic on it...perfect machine for ya

Hi, I recommend the Minelab Xterra 305. This is the 1st machine I bought and I was happy with it. Multiple coil options, 3 year warranty,digital display,lightweight,runs on 4 AA batteries,solid performance,very easy to program,short learning curve,etc. For the record, Minelab customer service has been very good to me, I think you will be very happy with this machine. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with. HH

CS

If you don't already have a Garret ProPointer pinpointer ($127) you definitely should get one for land hunting, locating targets in a hole can be a major pita without a pinpointer and the ProPointer is a standard go-to.

If you need to stay under the $300 total then get a Tesoro Compadre ($160) (this machine has it's own religion), and the ProPointer.

Good luck!

I agree with Milhaus. The Compadre with the Garret ProPointer will get you started in a big hurry. In fact, get the ProPointer first, then count your money and decide.

Look at the machines mentioned here on Youtube. When you decide what to get call the sponsors and get prices. Packages including a pin pointer and coil cover are a start. Coils and other items are extras you can live without. The pin pointer you'll love and the coil cover will extend the coils life. My best digger I bought at Lowes and a shovel at Home Depot for a fraction of what you will spend online. But then you probably know that.

Go for a Simplex+ with a 5 X 9 1/2 search coil. You said you wanted to keep you surfer and get a land detector, well, here's a great land detector that will also handle those shallows since it's water proof. I have the PulseDive PP and it works great with the green ears. The 11" DD stock coil, that comes with the Simplex+ is very strong. The search field of that coil is large and great for open fields but the smaller coil is a must have for trashier places. For easy access, I like to wear my digger in a holster at my ankle on the outside of my left leg and I have noticed some interference with that larger coil but little to none with the 9X5 coil. IMHO, I got used to the chatter of the machine but if chatter bothers you, maybe the Simplex is not your best choice.

Consider the amount of time you’ll be able to use the detector, the type of turf you will detect (some machines are no good in sand or surf but excellent on o lake shore) and your physical capabilities. If possible hook up with someone who does the hobby and ask them to swing their machine. The AT Pro and the AT GOLD are good mid priced machines, but if you get one on a deal with a stock 8 1/2 X 11” coil, either be prepared to spend more money for a lighter coil or learn to live with a achy shoulder. I keep a older Bounty Hunter for the very reason you are asking your question. I consider the Bounty Hunter a good, entry level Metal Detector, and you should start simple and work towar a more complex machine.
If, since 2013, you are still looking.

AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Outback, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fiskars diggers.

Welcome to the forum from Pittsburgh. A lot of old history out your way still waiting to be dug. Just read a few of the posts from some of the members here. The Minelab Vanquish or the Nokta Makro Simplex come to mind. Both have great reviews and are close to your price range. Please consider using one of our sponsors here when buying as opposed to AM------N or e----y. Prices will be way better and follow up tech support invaluable. Good luck. Oh ya, don't forget to share and post pics of your finds. Mark

Back
Top Bottom