• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A silver and an unusual coin, a good day detecting!

JimR_TN

Elite Member
Nice hunt at a new permission with a friend today. Most interesting coin was a 1916 2 1/2 cent Netherlands coin. Had to look that one up, I had no idea what it was when I saw the 2 1/2 cents on the coin. Also a 1949 silver Rosie along with some clad and a couple of wheaties. A great day and for a change the weather in Middle Tennessee was very mild today and the recent rains made the digging much easier.

Attachments

• two_and_a_half_front.jpg
    two_and_a_half_front.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 414
  • two_and_a_half_back.jpg
    two_and_a_half_back.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 418
  • 1949Rosie.jpg
    1949Rosie.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 1946wheat.jpg
    1946wheat.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 1935wheatie.jpg
    1935wheatie.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 0804hunt.jpg
    0804hunt.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 407
Sounds like a good day, congrats. We've had some nice weather too but it's going to turn hot again.

Nice finds! I have never seen that coin before either. Very cool!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good day, congrats. We've had some nice weather too but it's going to turn hot again.

Thanks! Yes, we are about to get back into the 90s with humidity this week. It was nice while it lasted. Last summer was my first detecting and we didn't get a break in the weather all year. It was still hitting 90 in October.

always fun to find old foreign coins here in the USA.

Yes, it made my day, Thanks!

Always interesting to see foreign coins found.

Agree, made my day. Thanks!

Nice finds! I have never seen that coin before either. Very cool!

Thanks! It was quite a surprise to clean it and see 2 1/2 cent on it! My hunting partner and I had no clue. Had to look it up when I finally took a break.

That's nifty! How did the Dutch coin ring up?

It was a 21-24, about 5 inches down. I was really expecting a wheatie and wouldn't have been surprised to find a memorial. This was a surprise... and made my day.

Very nice, I really like that 2 1/2 cent foreign coin! I wonder why they came up with that denomination?

Right! At first I was thinking token, but same question.... why would they make a token of that denomination?? I guess 2 1/2 cents still had some buying power in 1916.

Nice to hear you got some easier digging and a break from the heat. That 1916 "half nickel" is a beautiful looking coin, odd denomination, in great shape, with a nice green patina! As far as foreign coins go, not many are better than that!

Envy those that find older coins. It seems central Ms. soil is hard on coins, especially pennies. I found many that have been completely eaten in half, silver holds up better but lots of discoloration. Still looking for older stuff. I'm not complaining, I love my Anfibio Multi and the extra local practice is teaching me much of what I needed to know for this machine and dirt fishing in general. I have found a bucket of coins, none older than 63.

That makes me wonder if they had a 1/2 cent coin for change, good mix of coins, congrats!

I know, what an odd denomination! Makes it a really cool find. Thanks!

Nice to hear you got some easier digging and a break from the heat. That 1916 "half nickel" is a beautiful looking coin, odd denomination, in great shape, with a nice green patina! As far as foreign coins go, not many are better than that!

Thanks!

Envy those that find older coins. It seems central Ms. soil is hard on coins, especially pennies. I found many that have been completely eaten in half, silver holds up better but lots of discoloration. Still looking for older stuff. I'm not complaining, I love my Anfibio Multi and the extra local practice is teaching me much of what I needed to know for this machine and dirt fishing in general. I have found a bucket of coins, none older than 63.

The majority of my hunts I'm pretty happy to find a wheat penny. I collected so much clad in the first half of 2020 I bought a carbon fiber shaft. Older coins are hard to find, you just have to look for promising locations. My buddy got permission on this one and we drove a bit over an hour with no idea if the property had been hunted and cleaned out by previous detectorists. I hit an old school yesterday and was shocked that there were still old coins. You just have to keep researching and hunting.

Back
Top Bottom