• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Disgusted.

George,

what I used to do was go to a lower priced hotel and the desk clerk $5 to $10 and he would give me a sticker and I parked in his hotel parking lot cheaper than the costly city lots. Told them what I was doing, metal detecting. showed them some of my lessor finds. More than a few times they would just write me a parking pass. For those I would sometimes give them a cheaper silver ring if I found one. Of course I don't show anyone my gold especially gold with ice attached. So maybe this might be a better alternative for you in your area.

John

Maxxkatt, thats a great idea. I'm gonna add that one to my BagOtricks. Thanks!

Just got back from Edisto Beach (NOT Edisto Beach State Park @$5/head!). Edisto Beach is long and has lots of beach access points along the beach dune and they don't charge for parking at the numerous access points. I was swimming in the mild surf with my wife, not metal detecting. There were a fair number of people up and down the beach for a Sunday afternoon before the arrival of a hurricane and after most folks were already heading back. It was hot and the water felt nice to play in. Lots of folks with boogie boards, some skim boards and a couple of kids nearby trying to figure out how to stay on surfboards.

We didn't disturb the bottom sediments, the surf did that admirably as it was (I think I still have fine sand in my trunks!). The regs were posted. One regs sign mentioned metal detecting by showing a silhouette image of a metal detectorist followed by a statement that said "If you dig it, fill it!". I should have collared every munchkin leaving a vacated sand castle pit or where they buried dad, but the tide was starting to come in and the evidence was getting destroyed.

This in no way makes a statement about how good the metal detecting would be, I don't know yet, but just that it was a pretty libertarian scene that would have warmed the cockles of Tom in CA's heart! I've never seen people try to fish before in surf up to their armpits, but whatever!

I take my scooter to the beach now.

Same problem here in Connecticut. State beaches do not charge as its now added to your reg. but town parking requires a sticker or you pay or get a ticket. So now I take my scooter to the beach. And I can park right on the sand without fear.

:digginahole:Some of the beaches in South Jersey refuse to charge for parking. They even have good size public lots near the beaches for convenience. This also keeps the prices low at the pay lots. Other shore towns only charge in the boardwalk areas and have free on street parking in the other areas. But of course there are other shore town that try and squeeze you for all they can get. With my luck I need to keep to the free parking.:digginahole:

I know how how you feel! Here in Southern Oregon there are nice lakes in the high Cascade mountains. There are campgrounds and picnic sites....old ones tool Its always been free to park for the day and enjoy the lakes. But now the Forest Service has a law that soaks you $7.50 a day parking fee! When asked why, they say "Nobody enjoys the lakes for free....everyone pays something". There should be a law preventing agencies and groups from doing this!!!

Edisto Beach has never produced anything for me. My best day was a couple dollars in clad. Great place to go as it is always easy to find a parking spot but for some reason the beach refuses to give me anything I am sure that there has to be some good stuff there somewhere but i have never been able to find any of it.

I have done far better down at Beachwalker Park on Kiawah. I wait till they quit charging to park and hit that area a few times during the winter.

Like i said I Am Cheap. I detest paying to park. LOL

Yes the kids dig grave size holes and us that metal detect get blamed. Had that happen a couple of times. I pointed out that i had filled every hole that i had dug and maybe they should look to see who was actually digging holes big enough to hide a car.

I am going to contact a lady who lives on Folly and see if i can park at her place. That way no $150.00 fine for parking Talk about a money making item for the city And that is exactly why they have put in the ban against parking along the street.

Just got back from Edisto Beach (NOT Edisto Beach State Park @$5/head!). Edisto Beach is long and has lots of beach access points along the beach dune and they don't charge for parking at the numerous access points. I was swimming in the mild surf with my wife, not metal detecting. There were a fair number of people up and down the beach for a Sunday afternoon before the arrival of a hurricane and after most folks were already heading back. It was hot and the water felt nice to play in. Lots of folks with boogie boards, some skim boards and a couple of kids nearby trying to figure out how to stay on surfboards.

We didn't disturb the bottom sediments, the surf did that admirably as it was (I think I still have fine sand in my trunks!). The regs were posted. One regs sign mentioned metal detecting by showing a silhouette image of a metal detectorist followed by a statement that said "If you dig it, fill it!". I should have collared every munchkin leaving a vacated sand castle pit or where they buried dad, but the tide was starting to come in and the evidence was getting destroyed.

This in no way makes a statement about how good the metal detecting would be, I don't know yet, but just that it was a pretty libertarian scene that would have warmed the cockles of Tom in CA's heart! I've never seen people try to fish before in surf up to their armpits, but whatever!

Now Isle of Palms has decided to do the same thing. No parking anywhere the city is not getting paid. Also the $150.00 dollar fine if you park anywhere that you have not paid to park.

If you can't get permission from the person you know, just knock on doors! Introduce yourself, be friendly and ask the owners if they mind if you parked near the end of their drive when you go detecting. You could even offer to trade services such as locating any lost metal items they may have lost/lose or even checking up on the place periodically off season if it's a seasonal cottage.

You might get a dozen "No's", but it only takes one "Yes" and you have a free (And hopefully more secure) spot to park. When you do get permission, don't forget to thank them. A mailed thank you card, a small gift card to a local restaurant or shop or perhaps even one of your interesting finds if you think they might be into that kind of thing.

We went to Sullivan Island Beach @ 28.5 Street a couple times last week and parked for free. I did some metal detecting and found a little clad change, a lead pyramidal sinker w/ snap swivel rig and a tabtop. It was good to get out and body surf a tad.

Over 60 miles round trip. By the time i drive there, pay to park and find a few coins it is not worth the effort.

I drive that each way to the beach! Gotta pay to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since i had not been down to Edisto Beach in two or three years
I decided to see what might be found on Tuesday. I lasted a little over two hours with the 80 plus degree heat and the 90 plus percent humidity. I covered a couple hundred yards of beach. Tide was just turning to come in. I found one quarter in the wet sand.

Worked my way back to my starting point on the dry and came home with A few felix pennies and $1.80 in clad. No jewelry of any kind.

I did not get above knee deep in the water but i could not have been any wetter if i had gone for a swim. come to think of it a swim might have helped to cool me off.

Edisto Beach has never produced anything for me. My best day was a couple dollars in clad. Great place to go as it is always easy to find a parking spot but for some reason the beach refuses to give me anything I am sure that there has to be some good stuff there somewhere but i have never been able to find any of it.

I have done far better down at Beachwalker Park on Kiawah. I wait till they quit charging to park and hit that area a few times during the winter.

Like i said I Am Cheap. I detest paying to park. LOL

Yes the kids dig grave size holes and us that metal detect get blamed. Had that happen a couple of times. I pointed out that i had filled every hole that i had dug and maybe they should look to see who was actually digging holes big enough to hide a car.

I am going to contact a lady who lives on Folly and see if i can park at her place. That way no $150.00 fine for parking Talk about a money making item for the city And that is exactly why they have put in the ban against parking along the street.

Back
Top Bottom