• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

We did it !!!! .....ordered a Toyota 2020 Prius Prime XLE

Thanks, and I appreciate the tip also !

I'm not sure if it would be needed on the new canopy though because it is already supposed to be very highly protected against UV, but I'll keep your tip in mind for other possible uses.

Here is a link to what we bought and below the link is a quote from that page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7Q1WC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

"50+ UPF SUN PROTECTION: Cover is made from polyethylene and treated to block 98% of harmful UV rays"
(end of quote)

Very nice, hope it lasts many years. Wish canopies would work here in the mountains but wind gusts rule them out. Been considering a steel quonset hut for a large shelter and workshop.

Very nice, hope it lasts many years. Wish canopies would work here in the mountains but wind gusts rule them out. Been considering a steel quonset hut for a large shelter and workshop.

Thanks, even with UV protected material it is expected to have to replace the cover after about 4 years or so under the harsh southern sun.

I can appreciate that those in higher wind prone areas need to avoid tarp type covers. I would even have preferred a metal carport, but since wind has not been a big concern in our local area the material covered frames were a lot cheaper solution, especially after putting a big down payment on the car :lol:

A future possibility I have considered is maybe figuring a way to replace the material cover with roofing panels somehow, either plastic or metal.

UPDATE:

On our new car the plug-in 2020 Prius Prime XLE we are up to 429 miles so far and the display shows our effective MPG (combination of using gas and electric) has climbed to 94.9 MPG so far and going higher, so the car is definitely living up to the great reviews !

.....and we are still at just over a half tank of gas from the very first tank of gas that was in it from the dealership when we picked it up !

Please don't confuse the Prius Prime with the regular Prius

Thought I'd better post this here too to clarify something for those who might not be aware that the "Prius Prime" is NOT the same as a regular "Prius".

In some regions of the U.S. you might only see ads for the regular "Prius" and the "Prius Prime" might be harder to find and even have to be ordered.

The regular "Prius" is a hybrid, but it is NOT a "plug-in" hybrid and does NOT have the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode. Being a hybrid it does get better MPG than a regular car, but nothing like the "Prius Prime".

The "Prius Prime" is a plug-in hybrid and has the ability to drive in an "electric only" mode, or you can choose to use the hybrid mode if going on a longer trip beyond the range of the "electric only" mode.

You can plug the "Prius Prime" into your regular 115volt household current to recharge the battery used for the "electric only" mode. (also, when you break to slow down and/or stop, it uses regenerative breaking that actually converts the breaking energy into current to put a little charge back on the battery even when you're driving)

Went to an average of over 100 MPG today !

Made a separate thread (see link below) to make it easier to find -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3245632#post3245632

The above thread includes a pic of the dashboard display show the average MPG as of today.

UPDATE: Our 2020 Prius Prime XLE is now at OVER 120 MPG average !!!!

(and note we still have over half of the original tank of gas the dealership gave us when we picked up our car back on June 8th !)
20200827_Prime_MPG.jpg
(the MPG would have been even higher but we used the hybrid mode on a trip outside of our local town area which used some gas since I posted about going over 100 MPG)

Back
Top Bottom