1800 draped bust large cent

Dr. Jay

So today I had permission to go hunting on a farm in Richmond, Rhode Island that was first farmed by permission of a land grant from King Edward in 1600. The major find was this 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent. This thing is a lot heavier than the Large cents that I've found from the late 1800's. I gave it to the land owner to keep as a keepsake and took these pictures of it. This is my oldest coin to date and I only detected a swath of land about the size of a soccer field. The property is over 100 acres... Can't wait for my Minelab 800 to arrive. This coin was found with my AT Max.

Attachments

• draped bust Large Cent.jpg
    draped bust Large Cent.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 301
Well, for starters, I have to give you my CA mantra : Sick sick sick.

But then I have to follow up by saying : Good on you to give to the landowner. Whether required or not, it doesn't defeat our purpose of the "love of the hunt". You'll always have your feather-in-your-notch survive with the photo. And the satisfaction of knowing you've paved good relationships. Just like trophy-bass fishing: The hole-in-one survives with the pix of the fisherman posing with his trophy :)

Also: Great photo sleuthing of the un-dug example.

I gave my last LC to the owner and then had three straight days of good luck. Wishing you the same good karma.

Whoa! What an excellent find! That's an incredible permission you have, too - way to go!

Very nice find indeed! Was it an 1799 error coin? On many of the 1800 large cents, they used the same dies from 1799 and you can see a faint line in the first zero where the nine once was.

Back
Top Bottom