14K made someone's day

It is their property and everything on it belongs to them. When you get permission to hunt it you need to determine who gets the spoils. Personally, if they want it, it is theirs. They could have said NO in the first place.

Besides, when they tell that story to others it could result in some other permissions.

Cliff

I did some more thinking on this and talked with another one of my detector friends. Cliff I agree with what you said and am glad you made me think thru this more. I think I am best served by going in to a permission hunt by knowing that anything on private property is the owners unless we discuss details beforehand. I thought about how I would like it handled if it was my yard that someone was detecting. Makes it much clearer. Thanks for your thoughts. I don't do many private yard hunts (3 this year) but it least I am better able to handle them when do get the chance.

I did some more thinking on this and talked with another one of my detector friends. Cliff I agree with what you said and am glad you made me think thru this more. I think I am best served by going in to a permission hunt by knowing that anything on private property is the owners unless we discuss details beforehand. I thought about how I would like it handled if it was my yard that someone was detecting. Makes it much clearer. Thanks for your thoughts. I don't do many private yard hunts (3 this year) but it least I am better able to handle them when do get the chance.
I kinda think of it like this. I invite someone into my house for a visit. They sit on my sofa and find a $100 bill between the cushions I didn't know about. They decide to take it as their own. I don't think I could agree with that.

Cliff

I kinda think of it like this. I invite someone into my house for a visit. They sit on my sofa and find a $100 bill between the cushions I didn't know about. They decide to take it as their own. I don't think I could agree with that.

Cliff

You mean that bill that's rolled up ?🤣
Not so sure about that analogy. Interior is way different than an exterior yard. Maybe for a couple that have been living in the same 100 year old home for the last 60 years. I don't think the reasoning would be the same if a couple has only lived in the house for say 2 weeks , even though they own the property.

You mean that bill that's rolled up ?[emoji1787]

Not so sure about that analogy. Interior is way different than an exterior yard. Maybe for a couple that have been living in the same 100 year old home for the last 60 years. I don't think the reasoning would be the same if a couple has only lived in the house for say 2 weeks , even though they own the property.
Indoor or outdoor if it's on your property it's yours unless you give it away. It doesn't matter if you owned it for 1 day or 100 years. That's the law.

Cliff

Cliff

But if they said "Hey Cliff, mind if I dig under the couch cushions here for money?", and you said "Sure. Knock yourself out." Then the hundred dollar bill comes out, you have a different situation; similar to mine. Technically, the $100 still belongs to you, (even though you had no idea where it came from), but do you really not let your guest keep it? They had the idea, the desire to get some money, and did all the work...with your permission.
A split would have been fair. I wasn't thinking of that at the time in my situation.

But if they said "Hey Cliff, mind if I dig under the couch cushions here for money?", and you said "Sure. Knock yourself out." Then the hundred dollar bill comes out, you have a different situation; similar to mine. Technically, the $100 still belongs to you, (even though you had no idea where it came from), but do you really not let your guest keep it? They had the idea, the desire to get some money, and did all the work...with your permission.

A split would have been fair. I wasn't thinking of that at the time in my situation.
Legally and morally are two different things. Either way, if I find something of value on your property I'll at least offer it to you unless we have an agreement otherwise. Why have bad feelings when all you have to do is ask a simple question?

Cliff

Legally and morally are two different things. Either way, if I find something of value on your property I'll at least offer it to you unless we have an agreement otherwise. Why have bad feelings when all you have to do is ask a simple question?

Cliff

Exactly. Here's what I'm getting from all this discussion: Keep my moral standards and keep it amiable, try to understand the home or land owner's view, be wiser and more mentally prepared, and make a verbal agreement about keeping finds right up front, when I get the permission.
OK, the "keep my moral standards and keep it amiable" part didn't come from this discussion, for me, but it's a good reminder.

I hope this thread helps someone else, beyond myself, in future encounters.
Thanks for the insight Cliff...and everyone else!

P.S. Reading ToySoldier's post again, I also am learning that it's sometimes OK to not be all too thorough in the verbal agreement, as "leaving it a bit unclear" does often work in your favor. So, yeah, no hard rules for me, thank you. :D

How about this simple one : I will dig out and throw away the buried metal trash in your yard and keep everything else ? If they start getting too specific or whatever , it's already a problem before you even start. Just walk...

How about this simple one : I will dig out and throw away the buried metal trash in your yard and keep everything else ? If they start getting too specific or whatever , it's already a problem before you even start. Just walk...
I like it. Putting that in my playbook. :yes:

Sometimes it's a good thing to "prime the pump". Giving them the ring could turn into a God-send. Perhaps if you found that ring in their yard, they could put in a good word for you with the neighbors. Remember that "The giving hand is never empty". Today I gave an 1800 draped Large cent to the farm owner even though they said I could keep it. We looked up the value on a 'mint one' and it was $33K. The one I found was probably worth a hundred bucks or so but the farm is over 100 acres and they can't wait to have me come back now. In exchange for the coin, they felt compelled to give me a 10 lb. bucket of blueberries from their blueberry patch that visitors were picking from all morning long. I got my bucket for free. Win-Win and I got a picture of the coin to keep. I had FUN. Usually when I'm on a new property, I assume it will be like fishing- catch and release. I mean, how many oxen shoes do you need?

Back
Top Bottom