• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First metal detector for salt water beach use

Stoop14

I love on a island surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean in eastern Canada, my boys have been wanting a metal detector and I’ve given in lol, with all the tourist beaches I think that would be the best place for to go looking for jewelry/coins ecttt. What would be a good detector for dry and wet sand and maybe in a couple inches of salt water surf. I keep seeing ppl say the equinox 600 those are about 899$ Canadian. Not sure if I want to drop a 1000$ after taxes on one yet. So what do you veterans recommend? Thanks in advance.

Most any metal detector can be used on dry sand, its the wet where it becomes tricky. The Equinox line can certainly handle it, but as you mentioned, they're moving towards the $1,000 mark. My other recommendations go over that amount (XP Deus and Tarsacci). Whatever you decide, happy hunting!

I’ll def want to do some wet sand, I’ve read good things about the simplex is that good on wet sand?

I’ll def want to do some wet sand, I’ve read good things about the simplex is that good on wet sand?

If you want to do wet sand then you'll need a multi frequency detector. If you can wait, the Apex from Garrett might be a good choice because it will be cheaper than an Equinox.

Simplex is not going to handle salt water very well. Are there any used equinox detectors for sale in Canada ?

I’ve heard the Simplex can get chatty on the beach, but seems to do fine when properly ground balanced. The Minelab Vanquish 540 might be another detector to consider. Multi frequency and easy to use. Very capable on the beach. Only downside is the control box is not completely waterproof. I just purchased a used one myself and if all goes well I’ll have it today.

Here’s a video of a guy testing a Vanquish and a Simplex on the same targets in wet sand. The Simplex has no problem hitting any of the targets, but it looks like the Vanquish might have the advantage in depth in this situation. Either way, I think they are both great machines for the money. I love my Simplex and I am looking forward to giving the Vanquish a go too.

https://youtu.be/YVgkFrz7PVA

I did seen the apex is it fully waterproof? That would be a big thing so I don’t think the vanquisher would do

I did seen the apex is it fully waterproof? That would be a big thing so I don’t think the vanquisher would do

No, the APEX is not fully waterproof either. They both have water proof coils, you just have to keep the control box dry.

No, the APEX is not fully waterproof either. They both have water proof coils, you just have to keep the control box dry.

So you can’t even have it in the rain? That’s probably when I’d go no one would be around.

So you can’t even have it in the rain? That’s probably when I’d go no one would be around.

I can't speak for the APEX. The battery compartment on the Vanquish is right on top and is certainly not waterproof. Good news is the Vanquish comes with a rain hood that covers the entire control box. Unless you submerge it, should be fine. I see plenty of people using them on the beach.

how about a used cz21 or excalibur or wait a week for the apex it can handle the rain and unless your keeping the control box under water it should be able to handle the occasional wave splash

Tesoro Sand Shark runs about $550.00 USD. It's a Pulse detector, so you'll dig everything. But who cares, when you're just starting out. And it's completely waterproof.....:yes:

how about a used cz21 or excalibur or wait a week for the apex it can handle the rain and unless your keeping the control box under water it should be able to handle the occasional wave splash

It comes in out this week?

Tesoro Sand Shark, I have one I bought 6 years ago, works great. I found stuff with it the first time out, hair pins, bullets, brass parts from ships washed ashore. Completly water proof, coils and box. Youwill have to dig all with a pi in the begining, but you will find good stuff also that way. Now it will take about 30 to 50 hrs of use to really learn the machine, but you will be able to read bad targets or good targets . Great machine for the price. You can do dry , wet, surf line , and up to 200 ' depth of water. These machines are built for the salt water. But remember Tesoro is out of business I think. But just stock up on the rubber silacone gasgets for the box.

Sea hunter mark 2

Much more durable than a sand shark. A pulse machine very easy to use.
You will be hard pressed to find one used. I sold mine a couple years ago I am still having regrets

Back
Top Bottom