Need help identifying this old silver coin

Trunkman

I found this today at a 1700s homestead. I dug it up from 7". It is about the size of a dime, but extremely thin. I was able to clean it up nicely with some baking soda.

This homestead was frequented by the French and British. The date looks like it is from 1777. You can make out a few letters. A head on the front and maybe a crown on the back.

Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. I have been finding many old interesting things at this site.

Attachments

• coin 1.jpg
    coin 1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 263
  • coin 2.jpg
    coin 2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 281
  • coin 3.jpg
    coin 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 266
  • coin 4.jpg
    coin 4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 246
  • coin 5.jpg
    coin 5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 253
By george I think you are right! I looked it up on the web and it matches. You have an excellent eye! Thanks! How it made its way to Western NY will always be a mystery.

By george I think you are right! I looked it up on the web and it matches. You have an excellent eye! Thanks! How it made its way to Western NY will always be a mystery.

In colonial times Americas money was in short supply and Spanish money was the most common because they were minting the stuff in South America and Mexico, so it was used as the medium of exchange, especially since it was "hard money".

Very VERY nice “barn find” Trunkman! If I found a Reale of any kind around here I’d drop dead. The east coast sure is producing this year, keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom