What do you do?

Truth1253

I just realized I have thousands of wheat cents What do y’all do with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it's one of the key-dates (which is only realistically 5 or 6 of them in the entire date ranges of wheaties), I just toss them in with my memorial cents and spend them.

Unless it's one of the key-dates (which is only realistically 5 or 6 of them in the entire date ranges of wheaties), I just toss them in with my memorial cents and spend them.

I quit being a collector and saver of wheat pennies long back after beginning metal detecting.

I send mine to a couple of members here that enjoy sorting them. Its been fun the last few years.

I bought two blue books and gave them and two jars of wheats to my grandchildren

Anyone possibly can realize an easy profit minimum of 100% selling wheats to your LCS.
I know for fact that mine will pay that.
If I feel like like it, 300-500% profit on Clist or ePay.

I have multiple rolls of bright red wheats found roll hunting over the years that I plan on keeping because of their enhanced value.

Copper around here is 90% smoked, so if they go through Coinstar, they do. If not, right in the recycling bin. I check them all, but the chances of one being in good enough condition to sell AND be worth selling?....zero to none.

My father, died in 1968, started one of the blue books you press the penny into the recess marked with the date. Don't know the proper name for these little blue books? Anyway, that's where mine go if it's one of the date needed. I have a large medicine bottle filled to go threw from last couple yrs. Sentimental reason.

I tumble the really crusty ones. Then I put them in rolls by date and throw them in a shoebox.
Why are there so many 40s and 50s?

Interesting fact. There are about 145 copper pennies in a pound. Price of copper is about $2.95 a pound. However I think it is illegal to melt down pennies. I guess they are still not worth saving.

Interesting fact. There are about 145 copper pennies in a pound. Price of copper is about $2.95 a pound. However I think it is illegal to melt down pennies. I guess they are still not worth saving.

Mix them up with around 10-15% aluminum pulltabs and felix pennies so the FBI thinks you were melting yellow brass.

I separate them into 10 year date ranges. 30s, 40, etc. Roll them up for storage, will let my kids worry about what to do with them along with all my other collectable junk.

Cheers,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom