Another Ring Return

vexhold

Elite Member
A new guy joined our local club forum and posted a trove of items found at a park. One of the items was a HUGE ring (2.07ct diamond 14k gold weighing 1.1 ounzes). This was his first time out swinging and I for one would find it hard to cough this bad boy up.

He did get it appraised and was told it had one inclusion under 10x scope and was G/H color. Roughly worth $20,000

There was a name engraved inside and it took him about a week, but he tracked down the owner and returned it. He recieved a reward of $500.

Serious praise comes from me and others in our club, but wanted to share his story here as well.

In the same trip, he found 155 clad (over 18.00 worth) and 11 other pieces of various jewelry.

I have tried to fish out where he was hunting to no avail.

http://usrec.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1210820

http://usrec.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1210819

Edit: He got an AT Pro BTW.

Tell him that I said that his mother must be proud, and I am too.:yes: It's good to know that there are still people like him around. It's also good to know that he is a fellow detectorist, and by doing the right thing, he represented all of us in a positive way. Thanks :cool:

WoW! That took a HUGE heart to return something like that...oh, what will he find next!

A new guy joined our local club forum and posted a trove of items found at a park. One of the items was a HUGE ring (2.07ct diamond 14k gold weighing 1.1 ounzes). This was his first time out swinging and I for one would find it hard to cough this bad boy up.

He did get it appraised and was told it had one inclusion under 10x scope and was G/H color. Roughly worth $20,000

There was a name engraved inside and it took him about a week, but he tracked down the owner and returned it. He recieved a reward of $500.

Serious praise comes from me and others in our club, but wanted to share his story here as well.

In the same trip, he found 155 clad (over 18.00 worth) and 11 other pieces of various jewelry.

I have tried to fish out where he was hunting to no avail.

http://usrec.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1210820

http://usrec.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=1210819

Edit: He got an AT Pro BTW.
Let me ask a question. How many people would own a single piece of jewlery worth $20,000 and not have it insured. My guess is none. If he collected the insurance , shouldn't he return the money minus $500? If it wasn't insured, the reward should have been more. At least 10% of the value. he got off cheap with $500. It was very noble of the finder to return the ring. Many people would not.

Let me ask a question. How many people would own a single piece of jewlery worth $20,000 and not have it insured. My guess is none. If he collected the insurance , shouldn't he return the money minus $500? If it wasn't insured, the reward should have been more. At least 10% of the value. he got off cheap with $500. It was very noble of the finder to return the ring. Many people would not.

I am on the fence on this one, there is no way to know if the owner had insurance or not I guess. If they did, I spose the Karma is on them as well.

Oh man! He deserves a medal! I would have given it back but would have had to bite down on a large stick while I did it!

I was wondering this as well. A situation like this would definitely lead me to a moral crossroads, and as to which direction I'd go, I honestly can't say until I find a $20,000 ring myself:?:...either way, the guy who found it definitely deserves praise, even if just for what kind of character that takes to do.

Back
Top Bottom