New to this and desperate for advice ..please

findanything

First...Happy New Year too all !
I have just received my first metal detector as a gift. The person who purchased it has little to no experience about such tools and truthfully neither do I. However I am in the process of reading up on them.
I received the Discovery 2200 by Bounty Hunter. Can anyone tell me if this model is any good or is it strickly a toy ?
I plan to much of my searching in the water and along the banks of a fresh water lake. Please provide any info that will be helpful.
I have to make a decision on weather to keep this model or return it for another.

Your insight will be appreciated.

Brian

Welcome Brian. There isn't any reason why you shouldn't have some fun with this detector. Probably the most you will need is some patience.

Don't start hunting in real trashy areas or it will frustrate you. Try a field or woods, or even if you live near a beach. Of course the best place to practice is your own backyard.

Let us know how it goes. :yes:

Brian,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!! You'll find that it soon becomes addictive! :yes:

The detector that you have should bring you many hours of great fun in this hobby!! Looking forward to seeing some pic's of your finds.

HH,

Tom

Welcome to the forum.

There's more to detecting than just having the best machine. The hardest part is determining where to use the machine.

I've got a number of machines. Some are advanced - with lots of settings and controls. Others are simple - true turn-on-and-go machines. In all honesty, I have more fun with the simple 'easy-to-use' machines; I use them more often so I find more stuff with them.

If I where you, I'd try to get to know the machine you have. Use it to learn where to detect. See if you like the hobby first. You can always upgrade later. (Who knows, six months from now there might be a bunch of newer machines out anyway.)

A month or two ago I read a post where someone had purchased a White's DFX, spent the year swinging it on weekends, and had only found a few clad coins each time out. He was depressed and was wondering if he shouldn't just sell the thing and take-up another hobby. He had one of the best machines, had spent the time, but either had real bad luck or just never really knew where to look.

Just take your time, read the manual, practice with it often, and hang-out around here. Your questions will always be welcome. And don't worry - if that machine is working properly, you will find stuff.

To answer your question ; it is not a toy detector yet it is not a great one either. Much of detcting is based on luck. The targets have to be there to find them. Cheaper deterctors will not go as deep in many conditions. However , I would never suggest someone who does not want to adjust a DFX to its max potential buy one. Although it can be a turn on and go detector it also has preset programs that are similar to the low to mid range detectors. The best of the detector comes out in its ability to be adjusted to compensate for different conditions and to look for different types of targets. I read a lot about detectorists not finding much with their higher end detector or know someone that has a cheaper detector that beats them in finds. All I can say is this : lower end detectors have a level of capability as do mid and high end detectors. It is the operators choice to learn more about the detector and its capabilities and this is where you become more successful ; with experience. If you're finding a bunch of clad thats great ; have fun. If you want the older deeper stuff then the cheaper ones will not consistently find them unless the areas are untouched. 8)

Hi every one!

I would just like to thank every one for their time and advise !

I would like to know if anyone know if this detector is waterproof or not ?

Thanks again

Brian

Those machines are not waterproof. I have two land machines that I can get the coil and rod wet, but not the housing. So it doesn't do me any good to try to detect in shallow water, since I can't go even knee or waist deep with it without taking the chance of it getting wet. That's why I bought a water machine...a Fisher 1280X Aquanaut. It can be used in salt water, fresh water, and on land. However, I'm keeping it strictly for water. It is waterproof up to 250 feet deep. But I'm only using it waist or chest deep. Hope this helps.

Trudy

Welcome to the Forum " Findanythig", just wanted to say that your machine is certainly NOT a
toy, just as someone else said; it is not the greatest Detector made, in my opinion, but again it is
not the worst either.
Karol K gave you some very good advice when she said a GOOD place to start detecting is in
your own backyard.. Happy hunting; and please keep us posted on how you do.

Back
Top Bottom