Aloha 18k ring returned

islandchips

Aloha this must be a one in a million chance return. I hunted this park near my house on December 23, 2007. I had dug over 100 targets and was getting tired. I was heading to sit on a park bench to rest and on my way to the bench I got a zinc penny reading on my Minelab Explorer2. I was so tired I was not going to dig it but I said what the heck. To my surprise it was an 8 gram 18k mans wedding band about 3 inches deep. It had an inscription inside that read Glenn loves Rachel 11-23-91. I listed the ring on Craig's list with the description and place I found the ring asking for the inscription inside, but got no replies. I wore the ring on my chain for two years and asked all my friends if they knew anyone by those names, no luck. Then one day I went to my girlfriend Millie's dentist office to have some work done on my teeth. The dentist Dr. Garret asked if I had found anything good lately? I showed him the ring and he looked it over and said that he knew a couple Glenn and Rachel that goes to his church. Dr. Garret’s wife was in the office and she said they got married about that time. I immediately felt that this ring had to belong to them. He called the couple and talked to Glenn and asked if he had lost his wedding ring. Glenn said he had lost his ring five years ago, when he went swimming in a pool near the park. He said that he took off his ring and put it in his shoe so he wouldn’t lose it. He said he must have forgot to put the ring back on and lost it on his way back to the car.
Last week the dentist office had a picnic and Dr. Garret invited Glenn and his family. When I met Glenn I had noticed that he did not have a wedding ring on. His wife Rachel said this was his second ring he had lost and did not get him another one. I showed Glenn the ring and his face lit up and in my heart I knew this was his. I know that I could have gotten $180.00 at Midwest refinery, but I know I did the right thing and found it’s rightful owner. Here is a pic of Glenn and his ring.
HH, Paul

Attachments

• Returned 18k ring Glenn.jpg
    Returned 18k ring Glenn.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 18k ring.jpg
    18k ring.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 648
Thats a great story and very nice job by you returning it . That smile was worth more than any money you would of gotten for it . That also speaks for the good people that are in our hobby . congrats on the good deed.

Harold

Great story! Good job on being persistent to return the ring even after a couple years had gone by. I predict lots of good karma coming your way!

Nice job!

Good story! Good deed! Pile on the karma points!

Way to go Islandchips!! That is a great story! I have almost lost my ring a couple times and it is a horrible feeling. I'm sure you really made them happy! You are an honorable person!

-Mike-

Thanks Paul, also wanted to ask if that is Ala Mona Park in the background? Bet the park there and Ala Mona beach are great spots to swing!
(not sure I have Ala Mona spelled correctly?:?::roll:)

Aloha Ron yes that is Ala Moana Park, we went to the Magic Island side for the picnic.

HH, Paul

Great story 'chips... and as en ex island resident I was gonna ask the same thing about it being Ala Moana Park, haha, I knew it looked familiar. :waytogo:

Wow, Excellent Story. It's a great feeling to be able to return something like that to somebody. I know they were so happy. WTG! Keep up the good work!

Aloha Glenn came over to my house on Thanksgiving Day and gave me a Fifty-dollar Ala Moana shopping center gift card as thanks for finding his ring. He also said he celibate his 18th wedding anniversary on November 24th and he said it felt more special that he had his ring back after 5 years of not having it.
HH,Paul

Back
Top Bottom