Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Lost and Found

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Default Thoughts on lost gold wedding ring

A friend of mine lost his 18k gold wedding ring in a 2.5 foot very rocky river with a rather fast moving current. He actually has a video of the moment he loses the ring. He lost the ring 6 years ago and it happened in a spot where nobody would ever think to detect. My question is do you think the ring is still very close to where he dropped it? My non metal detecting friends unanimously think the ring has been swept miles downstream. But I think, it's most likely trapped in a crevice very close to where the event happened. I'm somewhat new to this hobby but I'm thinking of taking the long drive down there with my AT Pro to be a hero. Gold is denser than lead, which they use to make sinkers, so is my thinking crazy?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Go for it - Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM

A friend of mine lost his 18k gold wedding ring in a 2.5 foot very rocky river with a rather fast moving current. He actually has a video of the moment he loses the ring. He lost the ring 6 years ago and it happened in a spot where nobody would ever think to detect. My question is do you think the ring is still very close to where he dropped it? My non metal detecting friends unanimously think the ring has been swept miles downstream. But I think, it's most likely trapped in a crevice very close to where the event happened. I'm somewhat new to this hobby but I'm thinking of taking the long drive down there with my AT Pro to be a hero. Gold is denser than lead, which they use to make sinkers, so is my thinking crazy?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Elite Member

6 years! Probably within about 2 to 20 feet, down stream. Depends on so many things.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Freshwater Shark

Yep it will be very close to where he dropped it. Rings are hollow and sink fast. Then they get wedged between rocks. Because it is hollow it will not tumble away like a coin would.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

There is one way to find out.

And, by the way....have you considered posting in every single section on the board...I don't see any reason to stop at just three?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Look to see what happens to the river in the winter. Does rainfall and snow melt off cause surges in flow? That can cause heavier items to move down stream. If the stream is fairly regular, then you may be able to find the ring closer to where he lost it. If there are a lot of larger boulders, then the ring stands a better chance of being close to the drop location as the turbulence will help keep the heavier items down in the crevices. Only one way to find out...go do some searching. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

It is possible that it is still nearby lodged between rocks. However, if that area is prone to floods even the rocks can be swept downstream. I would probably try to find it. Look at it as an adventure: who knows what else may be there. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM

I'm no expert but I agree with you on this one. I would at least detect the area where he lost it first and go from there. A lot can happen in 6 years but I've read of crazier stories.
Best of luck and let us know!! HH

Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM
OldCherryPicker

I'm with scuba, I did this several years ago when hunting to make sure I did not miss anything. I took a wood pole from a beach umbrella, tiewraped a lite rope to it, then I would buckle the rope to my belt loop and start the spirall once I locate a Hot Area. In,......... then out, then move the pole. And this is good for calmer water, like the Bay here in maryland. Good Luck, keep us informed.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM

It depends on the stream, and I dont know what kind of stream you are taling about. If the bottom of the stream is large rocks it is likely because of high flows during runoff that scour the channel, this would be consistent with the fast current. If so, it is unlikely the ring is near where he dropped it, or if it is, it might be several feet down.

Is this stream rocky because of high flows and fast current? Has there been many high flow events in the last 6 years? I hate to be the party pooper here, but my fish biology/hydrologist background tells me the recovery is highly unlikely.

With that said, I would probably try it also. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Elite Member

nothing ventured nothing gained, go for it. The worst You can do is Not find it, and no telling what You may find

Garrett AT-Pro , Garrett ACE250, Lesche digger, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, sampson shovel, NEL tornado and 1 very old Bounty Hunter (retired).

Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Supporter

I'd try it, but keep expectations low (his) not yours good luck!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $53.06 ($1027.05), Silver coins: 6 (32), Wheats: 21 (127), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 3 (80), Rings: 8 (222), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Elite Member

Hate to say it, but if the river has large rocks, it is most likely in a crack between rocks, and even if you manage to move the large rock it is wedged between it will just fall deeper. If the bottom is just small baseball sized rocks or smaller, you may be able to pull it off.

Keep in mind snow is melting right now, so the rivers are probably at their deepest and fastest. May want to wait until the end of summer/fall.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:53 PM

I just watched the video. That is a mountain runoff stream. It is high gradient, with high velocity and scour. There is a reason that the rocks you see are the size of washing machines. Everything smaller than that gets washed away. These systems typically have a lot of gravel moving through them every winter.

You cant look at the stream in the summer and understand how much material passes down the channel. Streams are a conveyor belt of water AND earth from the tops of the mountains to the ocean. That is their job and this ones looks like it is good at it.

The only way the ring is still anywhere near there is if it got caught in a crack in the bedrock. But even then, there will be gravel deposited on top of it (up to a couple feet) after the runoff season subsides.

I don't blame you for going to try. And honestly, I really hope you get to come back here to update this thread and show everyone how wrong I am. I will be pulling for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Elite Member

I agree with GroundSweep, I would at least give it a shot but wouldn't get my hopes too high. Who knows?

Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pspapa View post
nothing ventured nothing gained, go for it. The worst You can do is Not find it, and no telling what You may find
yeah, this!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Elite Member

1) Does this river flood anually?
2) If so are the floods massive or just moderate?
3) How much different does the area he lost it look TO HIM from when he lost it to now?
4) Keep in mind moving water is very strong. 1 foot of swift moving water can sweep you off your feet and down stream.
5) You'd need an equivalent size/type ring to test on. Put it in the gravel near shore about 3" down to test your coil over to see what kind of reading you will get.

The ring is most likely only going to move as far as the smaller gravel around it. It could possibly be within a few yards of the lost point. If this river gets very high flood levels and it carries large trees and large (basket ball size) rocks downstream, The ring could indeed be miles downstream OR Buried deeper than the ATP will go. Would be good at least for a nice swim and some experience tho.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM

This is very interesting :P. I would definitely at least try. Keep us updated too!