Found some old'ins today

X

Xray

Finally was able to get out and do some detecting. Hit my favorite hot spot, the depleted bakery lot, and found a Barber dime, date apparently 1905, a Buff 1920, and two wheaties 1920 S and either 1920 or 1926.
The dime I found on a strip that is right next to someone elses property, literally 2 inches from his sidewalk. I haven't hit this strip much, even though the grass is not his property and he has told me before he doesn't mind me detecting there. There are usually kids running around there, so I tend to steer clear. Today it paid off. The Buff I found in an area by some bushes I must have gone over more than a dozen times before, and it was only about an inch down. My guess is that I have seen this signal before, but I was pulling out so much stuff last year that I might have just ignored a surface nickel hit, thinking it was junk or clad. Now that I'm digging the iffy ones, things like this Buff and the wheaties are starting to pop out.
Not the greatest haul, but sure beats the nothing I've been getting for most of this season.

Attachments

• oldins.jpg
    oldins.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 259
The Quattro I don't like and am probably going to sell.
In fairness to it, I haven't given it much of a chance and have not taken the time needed to learn it.
I would hardly call it a "grab and go" detector as I have seen it described, and if theres a learning curve, thats fine but when I pass it over a gold ring buried 2 inches in the dirt and it barely peeps while the Ace screams, I got a negative impression of it and also the pinpointing on this thing is just one God awful mess, and I don't relish the prospect of digging trenches to find solitary coins.
I have read in minelab forums Quattro newbies frequently have these very complaints but really, my free time is very limited, and if I ever get another detector after getting rid of this thing, it will be one I can use first, cause I never would have bought the quattro if I even spent 5 minutes with it first.

Nice going Jesse :) nice to see your back at the bakery... I know how you feel as far as a second detector even though I like my MXT I don't use it anymore and have been thinking of selling it.

I'm the first to admit this must be my fault Craig, although there is a possibility of having a defective machine I suppose. Minelabs are fairly renowned for their deep seeking abilities, which is why I got it, but as I said, the pinpointing is just ludicrous on this thing, plus the few tests I have run on shallow buried items were none too good.
What I really would like is just a juiced up Ace 250, with perhaps a few more features and an improved graphical display.

You know Jesse... Minelab is just a name on a detector, there are plenty of good detectors out there... Its like me getting into waterhunting... everyone said get a minelab, well I bought a machine almost $600 dollars less and I have 41 gold rings in 11 months... bottom line its not how much we pay, its how we detect. Who needs all the bells and whistles anyway lol... Why don't you research the Tereso metal detectors... I watched a guy at a hunt he had no screen or anything to look at and he cleaned up... I just wish I knew what model it was... I know it had a black body.. If I buy another land machine I am getting away from the bells and whistles of a screen. Its why I love my PI so much. Simplicity is for me :)

Nice finds jesse, looks like you hit the jackpot on those, good shape too. smg

Xray, I think the simplicity and abilities of the ACE250 will spoil us when it comes to the "upgrade" models in the end...

I am still researching my next detector although I think I will be with a DFX, I havent completely given up on getting a higher grade Garrett.

hi all, don't chime in much but here goes...used a garrett gtax for about 5 years...found alot of clad(some days close to 100 coins) only 5 silvers in 5 years.got  the explorer 2 about 6-7 weeks ago found 6  silver coins along with about 65 wheats since i got it(more than in 5 years with the other)...i mean in pounded to death
with every thing out there locations. i have found better,deeper(almost beyond belief depths),relics and rings and coins(had to get the long handled digger).the difference was overwhelming at first (pinpointing)but after about 6 weeks i truly believe if it can be found with any detector this one can do it. now i can pinpoint as good or better with it than i could after 5 years with the garrett. i have found silver dimes at better than 9 inches easily whereas with the garrett would not even get a blip.hunted the same old places i have beat to death and am findin stuff i did'nt think was there before.trust me there is a big difference from 200.00 and 1000.+ machines.sure ther are some bells and whistles i prob. wont use much...but most  i will use. it all depends what you want and what you want to spend. i hope everyone that metal detects
in my town buys everything except an exp2...i'll keep finding what they are missing. one of my friends has another name brand highly used  by many on this forum and the exp can regularly find coins easily whereas it dont even get a signal... under close power lines, coins with trash,on edge at depth and so on.that is the difference.ther is no way i woul go back now.just my 2 cents,mike

I dunno Epi.
My logic is as follows - I've lucked out at a few spots and found some old realitively shallow coins. My thinking is A) I will not always get this lucky at other spots & B) Theres probalby more at these spots, but deeper.
In fact though, I am a true gadget feind and if its an mp3 player, a video cam or handgun, I like to get top of the line or close.
Simplicity however can be a virtue, and yes the Ace has proved that to me.
Like I said, I be thrilled with a souped up 250 that could probe twice as deep.

maybe look towards Europe at the xp range
also I think advanced detecting by norfolk wolf would help alot of people here just to hone their skills

After reading it I found 2 coins one dated 1584 the other 1793 both very old and only about 5 inches down

Nice job X-Ray !...you're 100 % right about pinpointing ; a detector you can't zero in with is worse than useless..the deeper it'll go , the more useless...i use a 250 myself for school yards and parks ; don't even use the pinpointer and will hit the coin with my screwdriver 90 percent of the time on my first 3 or 4 probes..hard little machine to beat and love that "money bell".. Roadruner_426

Back
Top Bottom