Any tips for using AT Pro?

Nubster

Just bought an AT Pro from a friend who bought it a number of years ago but literally never used it. It's never been swung. Got the detector and the Pro-Pointer. Been messing around a little but just wanted to see if there are any tips or tricks to help get the most out of this machine. I'm completely new to metal detecting too so keep that in mind. Thanks!

Goto pro mode discriminate up to 40 in iron audio with iron audio off unless you want to hear alot of iron.
Now listen to some coins
Now listen to alumfoil and pulltabs
If you have gold jewelry listen to it and watch your numbers too.
Gold rings will sound good and solid like coins.
Foil bits can sound scratchy with jumpy numbers.
Practice using it and you will understand more!
Happy hunting!

like metaladdict said, pro-mode.

I start at maximum sensitivity, iron disc at 35 when hunting my fields.

I turn iron audio off, but turn it back on when I locate a target.

I do pro-coin mode usually, but recently have been in pro-zero...with iron discrimination at 35...with lots of iron around I'll set it to 40.

Take your time and listen to the tones before you dig...I've considered carrying around a USB recorder with me so I can hear the tones, read off the numbers, and verbalize my finds so I can build a database...but definitely take your time and listen to the machine.

I am new to metal detecting and just got my first detector, an AT Pro last week. I watched a lot of youtube videos while waiting for it to arrive, so I feel like that really gave me a head start. I use mine in Pro Zero mode with iron discrimination at 35, iron audio off until I get a target. I didn't realize that a lot of gold rings ring up in the 40's range, so at first I didn't dig anything less than 50, but now I have been digging anything above 40. I have also become better at learning what trash targets sound like, but since I am new I still dig pretty much everything just to learn.

I haven't found anything exciting yet except for one charm that I think is just costume jewelry. Lots of clad coins, no silver yet.

I hang out on pro-zero most of the time, pro coin if it's trashy. I very seldom have sensitivity more than 3 bars from max. Iron disc at 40, iron audio off.

It all depends on what your after, and where your hunting. I'd recommend spending a few hours in your yard digging everything that beeps and practicing good plugs

Ground balancing isn't explained very well in the manual. As you pump the detector up and down too low of ground balance has a deep grunt, to high has a high pitch grunt. Try to find the balance midway between the two.
It seemed complicated at first, but there really isn't many settings to worry about once you figure out how you want to hunt, Ground balance should be about the same on native dirt in your area, fill dirt or cinders can put it anywhere.

Did as many signals as you can initially, you’ll soon figure out what sound belongs to what target. Some say dig everything ALL the time but that approach doesn’t work for me in most scenarios, I’d get fed up pretty quickly!

good machine is the AT Pro

good machine. easy to learn.

start out in the pro all metal mode and learn it that way. Using any other modes will just waste your time since you will eventually have to learn the all metal pro mode. coin mode give you not depth info in the sound. all depths sound the same as I recall. Never hunted coin mode. People told me to hunt in the pro all metal mode and that is how I learned.

Most important thing is that you have to have good targets under your coil. It is not hard to find places with junk. But good targets that is a different matter. Learn to do your research. use google earth and historic aerials to find old home sites.

if you are near an ocean beach, look at google earth and find the beaches with the most people in the photo. click on the clock and you can go back in time and find beaches in the different seasons to make this decision. Learn to read your beach in terms of building (sanding in) or eroding (where the sand is being washed away).

above all have fun.

Ground balancing isn't explained very well in the manual. As you pump the detector up and down too low of ground balance has a deep grunt, to high has a high pitch grunt. Try to find the balance midway between the two.
It seemed complicated at first, but there really isn't many settings to worry about once you figure out how you want to hunt, Ground balance should be about the same on native dirt in your area, fill dirt or cinders can put it anywhere.

Thanks Scooterjim.

I never noticed if the tone was too high or low while ground balancing. That is a very Interesting. I usually, just bounce my machine in the air close to the ground, and let the machine pick the ground balance atomatically.

So you say I can manual adjust the ground balance “tone” by listening to the tone by manually adjusting the ground balance either low or high by the sound? Wow. I got a try that!

The only tiime a manual adjust ground balance is on mineralized black sand at low tide ar the beach, constantly as the machine really overloads and has a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom