garret clone pinpointer

Those are the GP-Pointer. There are a number of youtube videos about them (search "gp-pointer"). From what those videos are saying, they aren't terrible.

Thank you so much! If anyone has one or used one please share with us

I hope you haven't already purchased one... they are horrible I brought mine out once and sent it back later that day. Nowhere near the Garrett carrot. HH!

I bought one to try....

First time out. I dropped it in some woodchips. It rattled after that so I returned it.... Try a Deteknix. I bought one last month and it works great...

Bought a whites bullseye2 for 40, i think thats a good one for starters gonna save up for the new whites

It actually isn't bad at all. It works better than my old TRX and with less falsing. I currently use it as my backup pinpointer after having bought the new XP MI-6. Sold the TRX.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

i own a GP Pointer as a back-up. i have taken it out from time to time to make sure it still works... now i can only comment using it in DRY sand... it is not waterproof !!!

and i only really use a pinpointer for the pesky hard to find tiny things that fall though the holes in my scoop. it will work great for that... but as a comparison.. garret will start ringing usually around 3-4inches and GP about 1-2inches and they work the same way.. closer you get it will ring faster to zero in...

the GP only has one setting... but for $35 !!! it does work ... for that price it does a great job and i cant complain...

good digs !!

Last edited:
One word: Junk!

They are not waterproof like the Original Garrett Carrot, and are very cheaply made. I understand budget is a real thing, but if you can, nothing beats the original Garrett. I beat mine to death and back, and have never had a single issue with it. Mud, water, sand, Georgia clay, etc. Hose it off when done and keep going.

I seen some videos on them and from what I seen they performed pretty well. You really cant compare them to a Garrett , they cost like $30. Appearances say they work well for the price , better than the cen tech cheapos.

No haven't tried that... I bought a WHites TRX...it comes supertuned...LOL

Im guessing that the internal parts between the GP pointer and the actual Garrett are very similar , some may even be identical since China is probably where all the parts are sourced anyway. There is a " supertuning " trick that can be done with a coin or ring or piece of wire that brings the PP to the point where its just about to set off but not quite , and that causes it to sound off farther away from the target , increasing its depth potential. It may gain an inch or two by just taping a piece of metal to it. It would be something if the performance could actually match the Garrett with this trick :lol:

Still not the same quality pinpointer , but that would sure make the GP worth getting.

Alright, you asked...I'll provide..

https://youtu.be/PVphPxPjcp8

Thanks for the video. It really did make a substantial difference , thats very respectable performance out of a knockoff pinpointer. And thats not even considering the further tuning that could probably be done internally. Those GP pointers really do seem comparable to the real deal for depth, and at that price not a bad buy at all. I havent been able to justify the expense of a quality pinpointer since I normally dont use one but at the price I may just have to pick up one of those GP pointers.

My GP falses alot....it can be annoying...my 7 year old is using it...It does work...and for $50 its a good choice if one can't afford anything better...but its not great...

Stay away from any clone made in china. It is all !!!!. Yes, some good brand name companies manufacturer things in china but have good quality standards. but Chinese companies making clones think about only one thing and that is high profits gained from selling !!!! to unsuspecting americans.

In the end, where did they learn it? American companies coming to them asking for the cheapest thing they can make to sell to American consumers. To call American consumers "unsuspecting" is a little naive. I'd say we all know we're buying junk when we do so, but don't care because of the low price/convenience.

I've been converting my tools both in my garage and for my company to USA manufactured products. "Assembled in the USA from foreign components" doesn't count. I'm having a tough time finding some of the tools to do so. Pretty much can't shop at any large local retailer. Try to find a Nicholson brand file at Lowe's....Oh wait, they moved manufacturing to mexico anyway...

Sad thing is, even the stuff we make here isn't of a higher quality any more. Unless you're buying niche products and paying out the nose for them, you're likely getting the same poorly-made junk, just at a higher price.

We forgot how to manufacture goods folks. This is no accident.
The dis-assembly of America has been planned and rolling for a good long time and if it continues, we won't even have a work force skilled enough to figure out how to run a machine if we did decide to become a little more self sufficient.

Anyway, soapbox open. :theatral:

Back
Top Bottom